Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jul 20, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #1,727 of 3,305
not sure if it is me or the phone, I put on my PFE this morning and suddenly I found the bass become a lot stronger then few days ago. then I took off the filter and listen to it again. It sound really good using Comply P-tip strong base even without Fiio.
I wonder if PFE also need burn-in ? I am even thinking of making it a custom if I have the money.

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #1,728 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not sure if it is me or the phone, I put on my PFE this morning and suddenly I found the bass become a lot stronger then few days ago. then I took off the filter and listen to it again. It sound really good using Comply P-tip strong base even without Fiio.
I wonder if PFE also need burn-in ? I am even thinking of making it a custom if I have the money.

I ended using PFE unamped, and the bass is perfect. Even on some tracks adding bass makes it muddy. I prefer punchy bass to boomy bass and the PFE is great for this. As to the PFE suddenly delivering bass...I don't think balanced armature drivers benefit much from burn-in.

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #1,730 of 3,305
Yeap!.. X2.. Mine was in 5 days. And it feels very good
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #1,732 of 3,305
I got my IE8s around 3 weeks ago and they've been burning in for at least 150 hours now and although they are great IEMs I keep on coming back to the PFEs from time to time because of their detailed clarity and transparency. The bass, although not as much as I would like there to be, sounds wonderful through the gray filters through the Zune. The gray filters bring out that sparkle in treble which others and I love, but the one thing I really like about the PFEs that sets it apart from the IE8s is the vocals. They are so clear and you can really feel and hear the emotions coming from the singer as he/she performs. The IE8s do have more laid back vocals that are enjoyable but I guess I'm just used to the PFEs vocals. There are however some tracks that I feel like there is something missing from the PFEs that the IE8s provide. The IE8s have more of a lush sound and their more expansive sound stage helps with that. Unfortunately my white pair of PFEs left earpiece cracked within one month of using them, and I'm still waiting until Phonak releases their updated model. I almost wish that I hadn't bought the PFEs before getting the IE8s because then I know I'd love the IE8s a lot more without thinking of how much clearer the vocals are on the PFEs.

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #1,733 of 3,305
Yes, the PFE's and IE8s have different sound signature. Thats why you preceive wider soundstage with IE8s, because of mid-high is lesser than PFEs. The bass is always there, and most of time it has been masked by the mid-high. If you have a good amp (warm sound signature), then, you will know how good PFEs are
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine also have cracks on both of the earpieces, and already returned for the replacement. Looking forward to listen o the PFEs back, in August
smily_headphones1.gif

TQ.

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #1,734 of 3,305
August ? that is pretty long. where are you located ?

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #1,735 of 3,305
See the location at my id info
smily_headphones1.gif

The 'new' updated version of PFEs expectedly will be out in August. That what I received from Phonak Asia Hub@Singapore.

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #1,736 of 3,305
i am waiting too, hope my current pair break down when the new one come out XD

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #1,737 of 3,305
If your PFEs cracks NOW, you still can choose for the 'new' one, but you still need to wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #1,739 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the PFE's and IE8s have different sound signature. Thats why you preceive wider soundstage with IE8s, because of mid-high is lesser than PFEs. The bass is always there, and most of time it has been masked by the mid-high. If you have a good amp (warm sound signature), then, you will know how good PFEs are
smily_headphones1.gif
. TQ.

Interesting. Since i lessened the upper mids on my Sansa Clip i find the soundstage better with the PFEs. Try that, i think it's even more efficient than a bass boost.

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #1,740 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your PFEs cracks NOW, you still can choose for the 'new' one, but you still need to wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine's been cracked for awhile now, but I'm still waiting for the new batch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevey69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when exactly in august are the new pfe's coming out??? im considering buying PFEs but im not sure if the bass is enough for me. im a tru Drum n Bass fan. any inputs? thanks a lot

The kick drum is at 80Hz, so there's plenty of bass there. The bass guitar might attenuate as it goes very low, but they are both very enjoyable without much missing especially with black filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back