Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
May 6, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #3,049 of 3,308
Have any of you guys considered getting custom eartips for you 232s. I got some made through a company called Snugs, they basically take a mould of your ears and then fit them to your 232s. The sound difference is AMAZING!!!! If you thought you loved these earphones before, just wait till you hear them with custom tips, NOTHING compares!

May 6, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #3,050 of 3,308
  Have any of you guys considered getting custom eartips for you 232s. I got some made through a company called Snugs, they basically take a mould of your ears and then fit them to your 232s. The sound difference is AMAZING!!!! If you thought you loved these earphones before, just wait till you hear them with custom tips, NOTHING compares!

how big is the difference i have heard of snugs

May 6, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #3,051 of 3,308
audio123 With the Snugs tips I noticed an increase in the soundstage and depth. This I think was mainly due to the fact that the PFE 232’s were positioned further away from my ears more than anything. However, regardless of what it was, I found that the earphones had increased in sound stage and depth, which meant that my music sounded much better.

With the increase in soundstage, I also realised the mids were a little more accurate. It was a very very slight change over the standard silicone tips provided, however I felt that it has gotten a little better, especially after A/Bing the earphones with the sleeves on and off.

Here was my biggest surprise with the custom sleeves: The bass, yes the bass, especially the sub-bass was absolutely phenomenal. The bass, I presume, due to having a little more space to travel, between the driver and your ears, had increased in depth and thus the sub-bass region had become absolutely sensational. I can’t describe how good they now sound, especially with tracks that had a nice sub or even mid-bass rumble.

Overall, the sound quality hadn’t been affected in a negative way, quite the positive, it was all positive, and is fully worth it, if you are 100% satisfied with your universal fitting earphones (and don’t see yourself changing earphones any time soon) then custom tips are the way to go.

May 7, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #3,052 of 3,308
@audio123 With the Snugs tips I noticed an increase in the soundstage and depth. This I think was mainly due to the fact that the PFE 232’s were positioned further away from my ears more than anything. However, regardless of what it was, I found that the earphones had increased in sound stage and depth, which meant that my music sounded much better.

With the increase in soundstage, I also realised the mids were a little more accurate. It was a very very slight change over the standard silicone tips provided, however I felt that it has gotten a little better, especially after A/Bing the earphones with the sleeves on and off.

Here was my biggest surprise with the custom sleeves: The bass, yes the bass, especially the sub-bass was absolutely phenomenal. The bass, I presume, due to having a little more space to travel, between the driver and your ears, had increased in depth and thus the sub-bass region had become absolutely sensational. I can’t describe how good they now sound, especially with tracks that had a nice sub or even mid-bass rumble.

Overall, the sound quality hadn’t been affected in a negative way, quite the positive, it was all positive, and is fully worth it, if you are 100% satisfied with your universal fitting earphones (and don’t see yourself changing earphones any time soon) then custom tips are the way to go.

thats nice so it wont disrupt the sound in any way

May 7, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #3,055 of 3,308
@audio123 With the Snugs tips I noticed an increase in the soundstage and depth. This I think was mainly due to the fact that the PFE 232’s were positioned further away from my ears more than anything. However, regardless of what it was, I found that the earphones had increased in sound stage and depth, which meant that my music sounded much better.

There's already a tad too much mid bass from the PFE232, I sure hope the Snugs custom tips do not add any more mid bass to it. There's also some treble peaks around 8-10kHz and I hope the Snugs won't add more to it too.

May 7, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #3,056 of 3,308
Francisk Because of the distance away form your ears the Snugs provide, mid base has more room to breathe; this adds a lot more clarity and increases the sound stage.

Honestly I couldn't imagine going back to the stock tips. There's simply no comparison.

May 7, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #3,057 of 3,308
@Francisk Because of the distance away form your ears the Snugs provide, mid base has more room to breathe; this adds a lot more clarity and increases the sound stage.

Honestly I couldn't imagine going back to the stock tips. There's simply no comparison.

Thanks for the info SupaflyBoy, how about the treble peaks? Do the Snugs add more treble peaks to the PFE232? Do the Snugs provide deeeeeeeeeep insertion? The only way to tame the treble peaks from the PFE232 is through deep insertion. How I wish the Snugs can squeeze out a little more mids from the PFE232 too 
wink.gif

May 7, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #3,058 of 3,308
francisk Because of the increased isolation, there's basically almost zero sound leakage. This means almost all frequencies are enhanced.

With the stock tips there used to be a little bit of sibilance on the high end; Snugs completely removes that. Treble is a lot smoother and clearer, with a wider soundstage. The same aplies to the mids.

Do you apply EQs to your tracks? One thing I never do with my music is add an EQ; can't stand the way EQs distort what the track is actually meant to sound like. Turning off all EQ's actually improved the mid range for me, it sounded a lot fuller.

May 7, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #3,059 of 3,308
@francisk Because of the increased isolation, there's basically almost zero sound leakage. This means almost all frequencies are enhanced.

With the stock tips there used to be a little bit of sibilance on the high end; Snugs completely removes that. Treble is a lot smoother and clearer, with a wider soundstage. The same aplies to the mids.

Do you apply EQs to your tracks? One thing I never do with my music is add an EQ; can't stand the way EQs distort what the track is actually meant to sound like. Turning off all EQ's actually improved the mid range for me, it sounded a lot fuller.

I listen to my music without EQ because most EQs from DAPs and amps are not accurate enough to do precise EQ correction. You'll need some good full parametric EQ to do that. I'll definitely try the Snugs one day and see if it suits me. You're making it very tempting already....If the Snugs truly does what it's supposed to do then I have a lot of IEMs for Snugs to cutomise for me. If it truly works, this will seriously help me save money on all the Comply tips that I stock up because they don't last very long 
tongue.gif

May 7, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #3,060 of 3,308
  I listen to my music without EQ because most EQs from DAPs and amps are not accurate enough to do precise EQ correction. You'll need some good full parametric EQ to do that. I'll definitely try the Snugs one day and see if it suits me. You're making it very tempting already....If the Snugs truly does what it's supposed to do then I have a lot of IEMs for Snugs to cutomise for me. If it truly works, this will seriously help me save money on all the Comply tips that I stock up because they don't last very long 
tongue.gif

agreed definitely

Users who are viewing this thread

Back