Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
May 2, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #3,031 of 3,308
I searched high and low, and couldn't find the grey filters anywhere. Had to settle on cleaning my existing ones instead. Works for a while, but I now have to clean them at least once every 2 weeks as they get clogged up a lot quicker than they used to.

May 2, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #3,032 of 3,308
I searched high and low, and couldn't find the grey filters anywhere. Had to settle on cleaning my existing ones instead. Works for a while, but I now have to clean them at least once every 2 weeks as they get clogged up a lot quicker than they used to.

the grey filter is what propels phonak to fame

May 3, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #3,034 of 3,308
francisk I actually do that. Problem is, Phonak's filters may actually have a small design flaw.

They get clogged up way too easily, that's probably why replacement filters were so readily available when they were still in business. These are by far and away my favourite earphones ever, but that's my only complaint with them.

Lose those grey filters now, and you're up craps creek as their is NO way to get a replacement.

May 3, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #3,035 of 3,308
@francisk I actually do that. Problem is, Phonak's filters may actually have a small design flaw.

They get clogged up way too easily, that's probably why replacement filters were so readily available when they were still in business. These are by far and away my favourite earphones ever, but that's my only complaint with them.

Lose those grey filters now, and you're up craps creek as their is NO way to get a replacement.

Yes they do.  I used to lose sound in one channel and change the filter and all would be well.  Yet the bad filter looked perfectly clean.  I think its actually possible to clean the filters.  I know mine (and the PFE itself) survived the washer and dryer completely intact.  Fortunately I'm well-stocked up on all colors of filters.  I bought a bunch when Phonak first announced they were exiting the IEM business, and bought an extra pair of Perfect Bass IEM's that I can change filters in if something ever happens to my PFE.

May 3, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #3,036 of 3,308
@francisk I actually do that. Problem is, Phonak's filters may actually have a small design flaw.

I think your next best choice will be black filters which are still available at Earphone Solutions

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/audeo-filters-does-not-include-the-fitting-tool.html

May 3, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3,039 of 3,308
I personally find that the green filters attenuates the mid and high frequencies too much for my liking. My favorite is still the grey filters with the Comply T130 tips that smooths out the peaks around 8-9kHz.

May 4, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #3,043 of 3,308
Were you using the Comply T130 tips??? If your answer is no then you're not hearing the same thing as me because I've tried many tips and the best sounding match with the grey filters are the Comply T130. The stock silicone tips are too peaky up the treble region.

Good call. I did use and like those. But they didn't isolate enough on the subway. I have been using sawed off shure triple flange tips and they approach etymotic isolation levels. Love the sound with them. Maybe a little too honest with the grey filters. Using black filters right now. Nice change from green. When I'm out and about all day, I eq treble down anyway, just to hear some music and have less fatigue. I'm sure I'll go back to grey for a spell.

May 4, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #3,044 of 3,308
stock grey tips are the best.period.
beerchug.gif

May 4, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #3,045 of 3,308
Good call. I did use and like those. But they didn't isolate enough on the subway. I have been using sawed off shure triple flange tips and they approach etymotic isolation levels. Love the sound with them. Maybe a little too honest with the grey filters. Using black filters right now. Nice change from green. When I'm out and about all day, I eq treble down anyway, just to hear some music and have less fatigue. I'm sure I'll go back to grey for a spell.

Give the grey filters another try Happytalk but for me, the Comply T130 tips sounds best....YMMV. Pushing the volume up till your ears are ringing is not a very good idea though....careful not to damage your ears if you want to continue to enjoy good music and sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back