Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Apr 19, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #3,017 of 3,308
I don't know about that. Other than comfort and build quality, the thing I like most about the PFE is the sound signature. That "almost balanced" curve with a slight V shape (using black filter) has been pretty much perfect for me:

The P1's takes too much of a tumble:

With that much difference, I can't really justify shelling out 200$ for a pair.

Same problem with the Trinity (though that one's significantly cheaper):

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #3,019 of 3,308
Just been comparing my pfe's with grey filter to the P1's and can say that dip makes the P1's less fatiguing without sacrificing detail. The pfe's are rather thin and the treble can be a bit fatiguing. The P1's are fuller from bass through to mids, makes the pfe's sound thin in comparison. But think the pfe's have better mid range clarity. 

If you really like the pfe's might as well get another pair, am sure you'll be able to find some.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #3,020 of 3,308
Just been comparing my pfe's with grey filter to the P1's and can say that dip makes the P1's less fatiguing without sacrificing detail. The pfe's are rather thin and the treble can be a bit fatiguing. The P1's are fuller from bass through to mids, makes the pfe's sound thin in comparison. But think the pfe's have better mid range clarity. 

If you really like the pfe's might as well get another pair, am sure you'll be able to find some.
to sum it up, pfe has elevated mids and they have the best fitting. The P1 is more technical in details retrieval but is slower in reponse compared to the pfe. Having both iems atm, I would pick pfe for daily use due to its fantastic fitting and P1 when I want to have some serious listening.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #3,021 of 3,308
to sum it up, pfe has elevated mids and they have the best fitting. The P1 is more technical in details retrieval but is slower in reponse compared to the pfe. Having both iems atm, I would pick pfe for daily use due to its fantastic fitting and P1 when I want to have some serious listening.

yeah that sounds about right. Had not used my pfe's in a ages, forgot how good comfy they are and how good they sound. They are a bit too bass light for my tastes tho. 

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #3,022 of 3,308
yeah that sounds about right. Had not used my pfe's in a ages, forgot how good comfy they are and how good they sound. They are a bit too bass light for my tastes tho. 
yes having tried almost all the iems in the market, the pfe definitely has the best fitting.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #3,023 of 3,308
Not only that the PFEs (grey filters) has the best fitting, it has the best sound quality in that price bracket. To me, it sounds best with the Comply T130 tips which smooths out the treble peaks without sacrificing high frequency details. The T130 tips also brings out a little more bass frequencies if you're brave enough to attempt deep insertion. And ooh....the fast percussive transient attack of the PFEs are just remarkable for it's price. I still haven't found any IEMs that sound as detailed and tight as the PFEs in it's price range.

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #3,024 of 3,308
Not only that the PFEs (grey filters) has the best fitting, it has the best sound quality in that price bracket. To me, it sounds best with the Comply T130 tips which smooths out the treble peaks without sacrificing high frequency details. The T130 tips also brings out a little more bass frequencies if you're brave enough to attempt deep insertion. And ooh....the fast percussive transient attack of the PFEs are just remarkable for it's price. I still haven't found any IEMs that sound as detailed and tight as the PFEs. 
price to performance ratio is good

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #3,025 of 3,308
Steelseries In Ear Flux Pro.   Not a likely source for a good IEM (they make computer gaming stuff).  But this is a very good IEM, hard to find now but still can be found.  Very similar in form to the PFE, single balanced armature driver as well.  It sounds a lot like the PFE with grey filter (slightly elevated upper mids, good treble extension) but has a bit better bass.  I find it even more comfortable than the PFE, and that's saying something.  It had a good review on Innerfidelity.com, which is where I heard of it.  At that time it was available on Amazon for about $90.  The "non-Pro" model is a completely different design and uses a dynamic driver.  The In Ear Flex Pro is about as close to the PFE as you can get in sound and form both, IMO.  Not widely known and definitely not much prestige but a good all-arounder that is super comfortable and sounds great for the price.

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #3,026 of 3,308
Steelseries In Ear Flux Pro.   Not a likely source for a good IEM (they make computer gaming stuff).  But this is a very good IEM, hard to find now but still can be found.  Very similar in form to the PFE, single balanced armature driver as well.  It sounds a lot like the PFE with grey filter (slightly elevated upper mids, good treble extension) but has a bit better bass.  I find it even more comfortable than the PFE, and that's saying something.  It had a good review on Innerfidelity.com, which is where I heard of it.  At that time it was available on Amazon for about $90.  The "non-Pro" model is a completely different design and uses a dynamic driver.  The In Ear Flex Pro is about as close to the PFE as you can get in sound and form both, IMO.  Not widely known and definitely not much prestige but a good all-arounder that is super comfortable and sounds great for the price.
i disagree. The flux lacks finesse and the bass from a dynamic driver muddles how the iem is retrieveing details. It can replace budget iems but definitely not the pfe. Very different sonic performance.
Cheers.

Apr 19, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #3,027 of 3,308
i disagree. The flux lacks finesse and the bass from a dynamic driver muddles how the iem is retrieveing details. It can replace budget iems but definitely not the pfe. Very different sonic performance.
Cheers.

As stated the Flux PRO, not Flux, is a balanced armature driver, not dynamic. The Flux Pro may not equal the PFE sonically but it is a very good IEM and follows the PFE form factor and comfort, and has a similar signature. Pretty hard to match the PFE in form and sound at a similar price, but this is a good alternative.

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #3,028 of 3,308
As stated the Flux PRO, not Flux, is a balanced armature driver, not dynamic. The Flux Pro may not equal the PFE sonically but it is a very good IEM and follows the PFE form factor and comfort, and has a similar signature. Pretty hard to match the PFE in form and sound at a similar price, but this is a good alternative.
ah icic. Yeap thats true

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #3,029 of 3,308
Former PFE 122 owner here,
Been using those pair for about 2-3 year until I broke the housing.
Still working, but I can't find the replacement(broke it a month before I had to went abroad, so, no much time). Then decided to sold it andd... just for 15 bucks :'(

May 2, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #3,030 of 3,308
I may be too late, but is there still a source for the gray filters? I see earphonesolutions has green and black, but I've always prefered the gray. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back