Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jun 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #2,342 of 3,308
That's pretty much the issue: they don't give a full sound and are not warm.  In the review over at anythingbutipod, they had this to say about them:

"A personal anecdote: the Audéo almost appear to be specially made for listening to the band Opeth – they handle both their airy acoustic interludes and their brute metal parts equally well. I can’t say the same about too many other earphones."

That's not a quite accurate assessment.  Acoustic parts sound fine, and yes, they can "handle" the heavier parts too, but that doesn't mean they sound especially good doing so.  I'm also confused about people saying that either I'm not used to their particular sound yet, or I'm simply not used to IEM in general.  I already stated that I have very little experience with IEMs, but I don't understand how that has anything to do with my hearing.  Getting used to the specific "coloring" of an IEM or headphones isn't really reassuring.  I thought the true test of an output device was them outputting as close to the source material in the way it was recorded gets, not how many different ways they can change it.

To put it bluntly, most everything sounds flat and synthetic.  If you've ever heard Fear Factory's Demanufacture, that's the kind of sound (90's "cold" and "sterile" production) I'm getting for pretty much everything with the grey filters. The highs are muted, and turning them up with the EQ makes the other frequencies sound "hollow".  Getting used to these isn't going to change that.

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #2,343 of 3,308
Like I said, I really don't think those are the right earphones for you in the first place. I'm not sure about that reviewer and Opeth in general, but if you have to go to EQ settings right off the bat then the sound signature isn't for you, regardless of IEM or headphone. As far as the IEM adjusting goes we generally mean the type of presentation it gives. Because it's in your ear canal it has very little air to work with and so the sound tends to come from inside your head as opposed to outside the ears and will lack fullness. There's just a physical limit to what they can really do in such a small space. That can be one of the reasons you might not like the separation since everything will seem close together.

As far as things outputting as close to the recording ... well I don't think that's really the case. Even among high-end headphones there are differences in frequency response, speed, and so on. Some people want neutral, some people want natural (yes, it's different than neutral), some people really like bass, and so on and so forth. Even among high-end headphones there are different types to cater to different people. I'd say either return or sell the Phonaks and do some research on what type of sound you like that matches your 280s, then see if there is an IEM that matches it.

Quote:
That's pretty much the issue: they don't give a full sound and are not warm.  In the review over at anythingbutipod, they had this to say about them:

"A personal anecdote: the Audéo almost appear to be specially made for listening to the band Opeth – they handle both their airy acoustic interludes and their brute metal parts equally well. I can’t say the same about too many other earphones."

That's not a quite accurate assessment.  Acoustic parts sound fine, and yes, they can "handle" the heavier parts too, but that doesn't mean they sound especially good doing so.  I'm also confused about people saying that either I'm not used to their particular sound yet, or I'm simply not used to IEM in general.  I already stated that I have very little experience with IEMs, but I don't understand how that has anything to do with my hearing.  Getting used to the specific "coloring" of an IEM or headphones isn't really reassuring.  I thought the true test of an output device was them outputting as close to the source material in the way it was recorded gets, not how many different ways they can change it.

To put it bluntly, most everything sounds flat and synthetic.  If you've ever heard Fear Factory's Demanufacture, that's the kind of sound (90's "cold" production) I'm getting for pretty much everything with the grey filters. The highs are muted, and turning them up with the EQ makes the other frequencies sound "hollow".  Getting used to these isn't going to change that.

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #2,344 of 3,308
It looks like someone else with a similar ear to mine made a thread about this same issue on these forums a little over a year and a half ago.  His first post sums up my same issues.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/520958/can-t-bring-myself-to-enjoy-phonak-audeo-pfe-sound-what-s-now

I'll stop posting my current dissatisfaction with them.  I would also simply return them, but I don't believe they are defective, and I don't want to bother with the Amazon hassle. They aren't terrible--they certainly sound better than the stock set.  I'm just being extremely picky, and for the primary reason I bought the player in the first place, I don't necessarily need some IEMs.

I'll just be sticking with my headphones when around the house, and probably eventually look into more expensive IEMs later on--and I can simply use these as a reference.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #2,345 of 3,308
I think it is fairly obvious that you are looking for a musical sounding IEM as oppose to an analytical sounding IEM. I think you already have an idea what your listening preference is, but made the wrong decision on the PFE which doesn't fit your taste at all.This is an important lesson for you (and almost experienced by everyone on HF) on what IEM to pick, not just based on good review but also whether the sound signature is what you are looking for - and that is what you should pay attention to on your next search. Cheer.

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #2,346 of 3,308
I was just about to post something about bull armartures vs godly dynamic's.

Anyhow what he said.

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #2,347 of 3,308
Wait, so if I want clearly separated instruments I should look for a full-size? Wasn't the point of the PFE to be clear and analytical?

I don't mind having the instruments *close*, with small soundstage, but I want to hear the details better and if the instruments are on top of each other this is simply not possible. I think I wouldn't like laid-back sound, though, so should I get a Grado?

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #2,349 of 3,308

Quote:
Wait, so if I want clearly separated instruments I should look for a full-size? Wasn't the point of the PFE to be clear and analytical?

I don't mind having the instruments *close*, with small soundstage, but I want to hear the details better and if the instruments are on top of each other this is simply not possible. I think I wouldn't like laid-back sound, though, so should I get a Grado?

With a full sized, you have a larger soundstage and your outer ears to help you with separation, and that will always be an advantage over IEM. This is not to say PFE doesn't have a good separation of its own. But regardless of how separation on IEM can get, there will always be big cans that can do it better and easier. On the other hand, you can make the same point on isolation with the table turning to the other side. No matter how good a big can can isolate, it will always be inferior to an IEM.

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #2,350 of 3,308
So I got a pair of 122s from a nice head-fier - you know you are. :wink: So far I really like the comfort and they don't sound too bad either.

They came with the black filters installed and it seems those were not made for my ears. I strongly prefer the grey filters as I felt the black filtered way too much highs. The PFE + black filters actually reminded me of the Sennheiser house sound.

I use them with the medium stock tips. I already ordered some Shure olives. :)

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #2,351 of 3,308
Interesting peoples ears.

I always believed the blacks damped the highs. 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #2,353 of 3,308
Got them already (that was fast). The Olives provide incredible isolation when properly inserted. I do indeed feel that the sound has lost some highs but without sacrificing clarity imo. Also, the bass has slightly more impact which I can appreciate.

So yeah, what can I say. These are pretty good IEMs. They are nice and small and very comfortable. Pair them with the Shure tips and you really are in your own world. I don't like the small soundstage though and I had expected them to sound more transparent.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #2,354 of 3,308
I need some recommendations. I have the PFEs & think they're great overall except there are times when I think the bass/low end is a little... "thin". Not a bass head mind you, I do like well controlled, tight bass just find sometimes wanting more.

I much prefer the grey filters over black but am wondering if the green filters would help? Also looking at the Sennheiser IE8s, dunno about the price though, anyone compared the two?

Advice appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back