Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jun 27, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #2,356 of 3,308
I too prefer the grey over the black filters. If I recall correctly the green sound even more muddy than the black ones...

The Shure olives I got do bring out the bass slightly. Perhaps those are worth looking into?

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #2,358 of 3,308
The green are sounding nice indeed, but the black with some BBE Mach3 bass (Cowon D2) give a littlebit more punch for me with a bit more high. That's even better :D

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #2,359 of 3,308
I don't hear highs with the black filters.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #2,360 of 3,308
Hi there, I am very tempted to buy the PFE 'Perfect Bass' phones. I was wondering if the sound will be too neutral for me? I am certainly not someone who wants to monitor precise details on a song, however I would appreciate clarity while maintaining a strong and un-muddy bass. Would it be better for me to consider a pair of Shures? As from my understanding they are generally 'warmer'. The music I listen to is: rock, metal, ambience, jazz and classical. From my little understanding, I expect that these headphones will exceed in ambience, classical and possibly jazz but not perform as well in rock/metal. Any opinions will be very much appreciated :)

Edit: Just been looking at the Shure SE215s which seem to have a more punchy bass, but from what I have read the PFEs are more detailed sounding. Really not sure now, leaning towards the SE215s.

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #2,361 of 3,308

Quote:
I don't hear highs with the black filters.
evil_smiley.gif

Are you sure what you're having issues with simply isn't the mids? The midrange with the black filters is really shoved into the background compared to the lows and highs.  The grey filters seem to be the "balanced" filters, and are pretty much the only filter I can stand to even listen to.  The other two filters have major occlusion issues with vocals.  Applying BBE features that enhance MP3s or midrange don't really do much other than to make it sound even more synthesized.

@Flah: I have no idea which you would prefer.  I already posted my thoughts on the PFEs on the previous page, and to me they are "serviceable", but sound too clinical and squashed.  I've been using them frequently since my initial post, and I've come to "accept" them, but that doesn't mean I've come to prefer them over my headphones. I probably will never come to enjoy an IEM over a good pair of headphones either, but that's just my hang up.

*Edit - Ok, I've just found one area in which these completely and utterly blow away my headphones, and I'm not sure if it's just the design of IEMs vs headphones in general, or the precision of these: Dolby Headphone.  While the seperation was "good" with my headphones, there's a night and day difference with the PFEs.  I only tried them out with Dolby Headphone as a lark, and was pleasantly suprised.  While their "impactful" bass (grey filter) are lacking, bass is not entirely missing, but they truly shine at channel seperation.  Before it was a good effect, now it's unbelievable.

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #2,362 of 3,308

Quote:
Hi there, I am very tempted to buy the PFE 'Perfect Bass' phones. I was wondering if the sound will be too neutral for me? I am certainly not someone who wants to monitor precise details on a song, however I would appreciate clarity while maintaining a strong and un-muddy bass. Would it be better for me to consider a pair of Shures? As from my understanding they are generally 'warmer'. The music I listen to is: rock, metal, ambience, jazz and classical. From my little understanding, I expect that these headphones will exceed in ambience, classical and possibly jazz but not perform as well in rock/metal. Any opinions will be very much appreciated :)

Edit: Just been looking at the Shure SE215s which seem to have a more punchy bass, but from what I have read the PFEs are more detailed sounding. Really not sure now, leaning towards the SE215s.

The bass is good for people that like a good baseline, but prefer not to have a subwoofer in their head.

I really enjoy my perfect bass versions (which are the same as the expensive models minus accessories and different filters.

My problem with my Phonaks (one finally arose after owning them for the past 6 months:

The sound is extremely dependent on how well they seal in your ears.  If your tips wear out after extended use (which happened to me), you lose the fun bass sound and it feels too airy.

I'm kind of indifferent, but I'm going to get replacements.  I would've ordered it by now and not thought of it, but I have to order the same crappy s and l to get one set of M.  I'd like 3 med instead.  I guess I'm going to email them and see if they can do that.

Jul 24, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #2,363 of 3,308

Quote:
I'm kind of indifferent, but I'm going to get replacements.  I would've ordered it by now and not thought of it, but I have to order the same crappy s and l to get one set of M.  I'd like 3 med instead.  I guess I'm going to email them and see if they can do that.

I'd just like to update that they offer packs of 3 in medium.  It was just worded incorrectly on the website.  I know this because I emailed them and he said he was going to fix it.

Lo and behold, it's been fixed.

Thanks Phonak!

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #2,364 of 3,308
My 3 month old Phonak is distorting sound on the left channel. Did not improve after changing the filter. I emailed customer support Thursday and so far no response from them. :frowning2:

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #2,365 of 3,308

Quote:
My 3 month old Phonak is distorting sound on the left channel. Did not improve after changing the filter. I emailed customer support Thursday and so far no response from them.
frown.gif

I'm having the same problem.  I figured the filter change might help. I'll let you know how it goes, because if my left channel is "blown" I'm going to ask for a replacement.  I've only had these headphones for 6 months with normal use, but carefully taken care of (carefully wrapped in and out of their case where i go.)

Keep us posted.  I might have to get a hold of them.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #2,367 of 3,308
So I finally got my grey filters in the mail. My impressions goes as follows:  

Good clear highs. You can really hear every strum of the guitar and every press of a piano key. 

But ... Where's the bass?  I know you guys are into the whole "revealing" aspect but what's the fun in that?  In fact, I'd go as far as saying it seems a bit too bright for some songs. 

I will say for guitar heavy songs, it shines.  There were a few new wave and neo wave songs I heard where I was like, "wow, never heard that before. "

But overall the bass perfect greens just make me bob my head more. They're not muddy or overpowering. They're just right. 

I'd like to give the black ones a spin one day. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #2,370 of 3,308
Popped back in the green ones today ... wow

Soooo much better.  I think if you're the kind of person that likes the Denon sound signature or Senn HD 25-II, this is the perfect filter for you.

If someone wants to do a swap of greys for blacks, I'm game.  I have 4 fresh ones that came in the package.

In fact, if someone wants to stick them in a baggie and put a stamp on an envelope, that'd be nice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back