Philly meet Jan 29th 2017 Impressions thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #62 of 83
I guess I'm not subscribed to this thread. I was disappointed since I live so close and I missed it by so little time.

Bruce in PA

Do you know any PAAG members?

It's the same week every year. I think Lee gets the thread started early every year. If you look for it in September, I'm sure you'll find it.

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #63 of 83
I found it way back by hitting the Forums->new posts link at the top of the page.  My reaction:  
Wow, cool, something in Philly!  In North Wales, OMG how could I not go since I live like 2 towns over.  

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #64 of 83
"Do you know any PAAG members?"

By chance encounter I spent an afternoon with a bunch of PAAG'ers last year at a meeting that took place at the high-end shop, Overture in DE. Great group of folks, and an outstanding store too btw, Terry Menacker runs a truly class operation. If you've never been, or are curious what a cost-no-object, state-of-the-art system sounds like, it's worth going out of your way to arrange a visit. Just keep in the back of your mind, the system may just cost more than your entire home. Don't let that be a deterrent.

Anyhow, I inquired at the time about PAAG membership, but was informed they're unfortunately at max capacity with a deep waiting list. There is also a NJ Audiophile Society, but they cater much more toward the northern Jersey/NYC crowd.

I try to attend the Capital Audio Fest every year, and sometimes the NY show. Still never been to RMAF, but the feedback is always that it's an amazing experience. Fact is though, as an enthusiast it's a massive undertaking to attend some of the more distant events when you factor in plane fare, hotels, food, taxi rides and incidentals, not to mention the time factor, then on top of it, of course you're going to see/hear something at the show that you simply HAVE to have. 
o2smile.gif

Not to send the thread off-topic, and perhaps this isn't the right place to even pose the question and get a significant response, but Bruce's earlier mention got the gears spinning.

Is anyone aware of other local groups who regularly meet in the immediate NJ/DE/PA region? I get the impression there's plenty of pent-up local interest for these smaller gatherings. Not just Head-Fi necessarily, but Hi-Fi in general...anything that deals with quality music reproduction. Thoughts/comments/musings on the topic?

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #65 of 83
Had a fantastic time today, always great to meet some local folks who share similar interests; the conversations make the meet worth it!

For a medium sized crowd, there was some GREAT gear at this meet!  Some impressions that stick out in my mind:
  • Finally got to hear to the R10's (and compare them to the new Z1R's!): They do live up to the hype albeit with a late 80's flair.  The Z1R's are a different beast; very high quality but not quite sure if they are "my sound"
  • Lots of good portable setups; those amps have come a long way!  The PHA-1A and the WA8 sound fantastic
  • The Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 was a surprise for the price; Frank was spot on there
  • Got to hear my SR-007 Mk II on the BHSE again... might be time to retire the trusty SRM-727.  I might be the odd man out but I still prefer the SR-007 sound to the SR-009.
  • The HiFiMAN Edition 6... still not sure what to think here.  They have such a unique sound that, I don't know if I liked them or hated them, which means I just need more listening time :dt880smile:   Dat $6k price though; I directly compared them to my HE-X v2 and I'm 100% sure they're not worth $4800 more...

Here's a quick snap of my rig and another random action shot.

Hope to see you all again soon!

- Aux
It looks like plenty of fun in that room Nuke and I wish I were able to attend this meet ! You did a great job of assembling the people and gear, with plenty of BOSS set ups!

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #66 of 83
Another one for the books.

It was great seeing Lee, Frank, bfreedma & Mullet. And great meeting/chatting w/ ZeosPantera and artur9.

My favorite rigs w/ HD800 S hooked to the astel  & kern to the EMAC 535SE. Also HD800 S w/ the Chord Dave. 

Thanks for having the meet again!!

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #67 of 83
By chance encounter I spent an afternoon with a bunch of PAAG'ers last year at a meeting that took place at the high-end shop, Overture in DE. Great group of folks, and an outstanding store too btw, Terry Menacker runs a truly class operation. If you've never been, or are curious what a cost-no-object, state-of-the-art system sounds like, it's worth going out of your way to arrange a visit. Just keep in the back of your mind, the system may just cost more than your entire home. Don't let that be a deterrent.

Anyhow, I inquired at the time about PAAG membership, but was informed they're unfortunately at max capacity with a deep waiting list. There is also a NJ Audiophile Society, but they cater much more toward the northern Jersey/NYC crowd.

I try to attend the Capital Audio Fest every year, and sometimes the NY show. Still never been to RMAF, but the feedback is always that it's an amazing experience. Fact is though, as an enthusiast it's a massive undertaking to attend some of the more distant events when you factor in plane fare, hotels, food, taxi rides and incidentals, not to mention the time factor, then on top of it, of course you're going to see/hear something at the show that you simply HAVE to have. :o2smile:

Not to send the thread off-topic, and perhaps this isn't the right place to even pose the question and get a significant response, but Bruce's earlier mention got the gears spinning.

Is anyone aware of other local groups who regularly meet in the immediate NJ/DE/PA region? I get the impression there's plenty of pent-up local interest for these smaller gatherings. Not just Head-Fi necessarily, but Hi-Fi in general...anything that deals with quality music reproduction. Thoughts/comments/musings on the topic?

I'd love small group meetings, more frequently. My small Philly apartment cannot hold crap. I am tempted to ask a few bars locally if it would be possible to do in the future. Maybe a second floor eating area that goes unused on weekend afternoons. I'm actively seeking an opportunity to hold small events. Hope I can find something!

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #68 of 83
I'd love small group meetings, more frequently. My small Philly apartment cannot hold crap. I am tempted to ask a few bars locally if it would be possible to do in the future. Maybe a second floor eating area that goes unused on weekend afternoons. I'm actively seeking an opportunity to hold small events. Hope I can find something!

I would be interested. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #69 of 83
I'll create a thread when and if I locate a good spot. I have a few ideas, it's just getting a business to agree. One I just thought to ask is Grindcore Coffee (They play Grindcore over their speakers). The back room could definitely hold small meets, and obviously the owner is a music guy! Lol. I want small meets more regularly pretty bad, so I'll continue to talk to businesses in Pennsport, and parking shouldn't be a issue compared to most sections of Philly.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #70 of 83
I would also be interested in attending meetups in the Tri-state area! I meant to make it to this one but thought it was in February for some reason. I'd hate to wait another year to attend one haha.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #71 of 83
I'll create a thread when and if I locate a good spot. I have a few ideas, it's just getting a business to agree. One I just thought to ask is Grindcore Coffee (They play Grindcore over their speakers). The back room could definitely hold small meets, and obviously the owner is a music guy! Lol. I want small meets more regularly pretty bad, so I'll continue to talk to businesses in Pennsport, and parking shouldn't be a issue compared to most sections of Philly.

FWIW, I'm open to hosting small meets at the studio...the kind that don't involve renting tables/chairs and buying $200 in food.

The big meet is a once a year deal.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #72 of 83
FWIW, I'm open to hosting small meets at the studio...the kind that don't involve renting tables/chairs and buying $200 in food.

The big meet is a once a year deal.

That's great to hear. You truly have a special space. I just worry that the second you post a meet, it'll get out of control. I'm more than happy to throw money into the kitty to take any expense from you.

Smaller more often meets can create examples of other ways to use our gear. I'm big into surround sound for movies and gaming, and I'd bet many have no experience at all. That is one example of many in the hobby.

Even pad swaps on the same cans can be an interesting topic. There are a bunch of little things I'd love to experiment with, in a much more controlled environment. I know I'm not alone, and we spoke of different things to try. Amp comparisons with the same DAC and headphones. Tube rolling, power supplies, etc. Way too complicated for a large meet, but easier on a more regular basis. Food for thought.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #73 of 83
I like the idea of a smaller more focused meet - amp swapping ; pad swapping etc..  And some mechanism to reimburse the host.

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #74 of 83
I always donate to the food etc. It is ONLY right! I have been most of the Philly meets from when they were at Radnor HS etc. Lee's place is amazing! 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back