Philly meet Jan 29th 2017 Impressions thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2017 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

leesure

1000+ Head-Fier
Thanks to everyone who came down for the meet! We had 25 individual setups plus a vendor table and reps with setups from HifiMan and Headamp! Rough head count was 45 people!

And the most important stats...FOUR 24" hoagies AND 3 large pizzas. Hungry head-fires can EAT! :smiley:

I hope everyone had as much fun as I did!

This is the place to leave your impressions of the meet itself and the gear you liked best!

And please include lots of photos if you took them!

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 83
Thanks for hosting Lee, my first meet was a real ear opener!

Met some great people too..

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 83
Jan 29, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 83
Lots of fun. Thanks for hosting! Funny I had no idea you shared a studio with Mike. I know him through the photo industry. Small world.

That Stax 009 has me saving my pennies.

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 83
Lots of fun. Thanks for hosting! Funny I had no idea you shared a studio with Mike. I know him through the photo industry. Small world.

That Stax 009 has me saving my pennies.

And THAT is why I didn't listen to them! Lol. Glad I found a headphone I want, that I don't need to sell a kidney or testicle to buy! Hifiman X was a great headphone I can justify the price of.

Loved meeting everyone, wonderful day with a ridiculous amount of awesome gear! My only regret was truly, a lack of time. Between listening and talking with everyone, the day flew by. I got some great info from people, and I definitely have a direction to head the next few months.

Hoping to make CanJam next week!

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 83
Had a fantastic time today, always great to meet some local folks who share similar interests; the conversations make the meet worth it!

For a medium sized crowd, there was some GREAT gear at this meet!  Some impressions that stick out in my mind:
  1. Finally got to hear to the R10's (and compare them to the new Z1R's!): They do live up to the hype albeit with a late 80's flair.  The Z1R's are a different beast; very high quality but not quite sure if they are "my sound"
  2. Lots of good portable setups; those amps have come a long way!  The PHA-1A and the WA8 sound fantastic
  3. The Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 was a surprise for the price; Frank was spot on there
  4. Got to hear my SR-007 Mk II on the BHSE again... might be time to retire the trusty SRM-727.  I might be the odd man out but I still prefer the SR-007 sound to the SR-009.
  5. The HiFiMAN Edition 6... still not sure what to think here.  They have such a unique sound that, I don't know if I liked them or hated them, which means I just need more listening time
    dt880smile.png
      Dat $6k price though; I directly compared them to my HE-X v2 and I'm 100% sure they're not worth $4800 more...

Here's a quick snap of my rig and another random action shot.

Hope to see you all again soon!

- Aux

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 83
  Had a fantastic time today, always great to meet some local folks who share similar interests; the conversations make the meet worth it!

For a medium sized crowd, there was some GREAT gear at this meet!  Some impressions that stick out in my mind:
  1. Finally got to hear to the R10's (and compare them to the new Z1R's!): They do live up to the hype albeit with a late 80's flair.  The Z1R's are a different beast; very high quality but not quite sure if they are "my sound"
  2. Lots of good portable setups; those amps have come a long way!  The PHA-1A and the WA8 sound fantastic
  3. The Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 was a surprise for the price; Frank was spot on there
  4. Got to hear my SR-007 Mk II on the BHSE again... might be time to retire the trusty SRM-727.  I might be the odd man out but I still prefer the SR-007 sound to the SR-009.
  5. The HiFiMAN Edition 6... still not sure what to think here.  They have such a unique sound that, I don't know if I liked them or hated them, which means I just need more listening time
    dt880smile.png
      Dat $6k price though; I directly compared them to my HE-X v2 and I'm 100% sure they're not worth $4800 more...

Here's a quick snap of my rig and another random action shot.

Hope to see you all again soon!

- Aux

I love your edition X, that is most likely my next purchase. They were something special!

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 83
Thank's for hosting, Lee!

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 83
Lee was a great host with both tasty food and fantastic gear.  Thanks so much, Lee, for putting this together.  I feel for you as you're both an audiophile and a shutterbug :wink:

I cannot really express how impressed I was with the group and the gear.  It didn't seem like there would be time to hear everything and/or talk to everyone and there wasn't.  What I did get to hear was amazing:  Ragnarok, DAVE, Yggy, Gumby, Cavalli, Blue Hawaii and too many headphones to remember....  Everyone said the Stax would be good and boy! was it.

Lee's AudioGuild amp is really sticking in my mind...  At least, I think it was that.  I thought it was a vintage piece!

And Eddie's speaker amp driving headphones was very cool and sounded great.

I wish I had a bingo card to keep everyone and everything straight.

Thanks everyone for an awesome first meet for me.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #13 of 83
  Had a great time and met some cool people, was my very first meet.
thanks lee for the free cable! 
beerchug.gif

definitely going to save for my own eikons now, I think they have the exact signature I'm looking for 
biggrin.gif

not sure whats up with the HE6.. they sounded simply terrible for being $6k. Hopefully that's just the amp as the rep wouldn't let the cans leave the table, but embarrassing if not >_>
AuxNuke's 007 mk2s on the BHSE was a delight that my wallet didn't need to know about
frown.gif

Full album here 

Yep I thought the HE6 was bad enough sounding to possibly being defective

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 83
  Yep I thought the HE6 was bad enough sounding to possibly being defective

Traditionally the HE6's require a beast of an amp, with many people I know using traditional 2-channel speaker amps to drive them. What was the amp pairing today? Cheers 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back