Philly meet Jan 29th 2017 Impressions thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #46 of 83
HI Mybrnes, 

What were you looking to listen to?  This way we can try and incorporate it into the list.  Drop some tracks on me so I can get a feel.

Thanks

1. [FLOAT=LEFT] [/FLOAT]

I'm pretty diverse and enjoy most rock from any era. I would ask that they find any of the more popular groups of whatever decade, and stick with their more popular songs. Music that a large demographic has heard enough times to appreciate the gear.

Eric Clapton-Unplugged, Smashing Pumpkins, Dave Matthews, AC/DC, Jethro Tull, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, etc. I realize you are probably looking for well recorded music, and thankfully many classic albums are being remastered. The Beatles remastered are wonderful albums and 99% of the population knows their catalog well.

I don't ever expect to have some of my demo tracks available because they are unknown artist and songs. They're my demo songs because I've heard them hundreds to thousands of times.

I think what I find frustrating, is with millions of possible songs, demo gear magically has a list of music I've never heard before. It gives me no point of reference, and I couldn't tell you if whatever I'm listening to is accurate or completely off.

I'm sure this applies to the other major genres like classical, jazz, country, dance/pop, etc.

As many times as I've heard The Eagles Hotel California (Hell Freezes Over), I'd take that over music that is foreign to me. Even songs I may not have heard recently, knowing I have it at home, I'll really lock in on a few things and listen once I'm home to compare.

I imagine it's a tricky business as each song is chosen for specific reasons. Maybe ask the staff to meet us half way, and find songs a good portion are at least familiar with. It's not just your company obviously. I personally don't care how great a song I've never heard is. If I've ever bought demo music, it's almost always a terrific recording that sounds great on my home gear.

I don't trust songs I've never heard, no matter how good it was.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #47 of 83
HI Mybyrnes,

What are some of your demo songs. though specifically?  I am thinking maybe to have something more diverse stored away for situations just like this.  I will cover it with the powers that be but I always love to hear what people like and specifics and maybe next time we meet I can try and have something more concentrated like a trick up my sleave.  I like items not heard as often myself and am interested.  Yes the items mentioned are great call outs and I apprecatiate the thoughts.  Always looking to step it up when possible
Thanks  

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #48 of 83
  HI Mybyrnes,

What are some of your demo songs. though specifically?  I am thinking maybe to have something more diverse stored away for situations just like this.  I will cover it with the powers that be but I always love to hear what people like and specifics and maybe next time we meet I can try and have something more concentrated like a trick up my sleave.  I like items not heard as often myself and am interested.  Yes the items mentioned are great call outs and I apprecatiate the thoughts.  Always looking to step it up when possible
Thanks  

Well I grew up with Classic Rock, as my father was an avid listener of it. He did listen to everything, so I am familiar with a lot. 

I am 39, and the Alternative explosion of the early 90's influenced me greatly. Nirvana is my favorite band, and I have heard the Nevermind Album literally 1000's of times. "Smells like Teen Spirit", "Lithium", "Drain You", and "Something in the Way", I like to use as demo material. 'MTV Live from NY' has plenty of demo tracks, "Man Who Sold the World" being a well known Bowie song. "Where did you Sleep Last Night" is my personal favorite. Hole's 'Live Through This' album, particularly "Violet", I find to be great demo material because her screaming I've found to be hard to reproduce without breakup. It is LOUD with a lot going on musically with her screaming. The song has a lot of meaning for me because of the memories I have associated with it. I have heard it on so many systems it is kind of scary. 

Smashing Pumpkins is another early 90's band that I really enjoy. Songs like "1979"," Cherub Rock", "Today", "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" all have things about them that is demo material. They were well recorded, with unique factors, also should be fairly well known to most. 

A newer band I really enjoy is Silversun Pickups. Their second studio album, 'Swoon', is one of my top 10 albums of all time. The first 5 tracks are particularly great. This is a band that gets loud, is well recorded, and parts of songs can fall apart on lesser systems. Lots of guitar distortion, Brian Guanlao sounds like Dave Grohl beating the crap out of the drums, and an orchestra section on some. 1) "There's No Secrets This Year" was the second song to get radio air time locally, 2) "The Royal We" is my favorite on the album, 3) "Growing Old Is Getting Old", 4) "It's Nice to Know You Work Alone", 5) "Panic Switch" first single played locally. These five songs are standouts in an era where I feel much of the Alternative/Rock genre has gotten too simple. I will say that when I play these songs for people who aren't familiar, if it is their style, they usually really like the album and end up buying it. 

Lumineers is another new band with great acoustic music. I really can't imagine anyone not liking them, and it is recorded very well. "Ho Hey" and "Stubborn Love" are two favorites I like for demos. 

Pearl Jam is another band with a huge catalog that spans from acoustic to loud and crazy. Everyone has heard of them, is familiar with their music, and I am sure a handful of songs would meet corporate needs for gear demos. 

One Classic Classic Rock song I would really like is Warren Zevon, "Lawyers, Guns, Money". Just a great song that is never on the radio and IMO his best song. 

I am sure others have a list as well. My generation is now at the age where they can afford good gear. Our music is now considered "Classic Rock", and is drastically different from the Hair Bands and Synth Music of the 1980's that directly proceeded it. Thankfully the recordings on some albums is spectacular, and even the bad ones are more than listenable. 

Thanks for asking for my input. Also don't take the Edition 6 negative comments to heart. I heard Hifiman for the first time in my life Sunday, and Monday I became an owner. These meets do accomplish a lot, and hopefully the negative feedback can be used to improve the Edition 6! 

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #49 of 83
  HI Mybyrnes,

Thanks  

I'm a big fan of flamenco guitar and been listening to some african guitarists lately.  Some Paco de Lucia, Gerardo Nunez, Estas Tonne, Gino D'Auri, Djelimady Tounkara, Bassekou Kouyate and Habib Koite are some of my favorites.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #50 of 83
HI Mbyrnes,

Well glad to hear it only took a couple listens to have you buy a unit from our company.  That is a great compliment.  As for the music I think they are all well within reach of what we could add.  Especially Silversun Pickups.  The Swoon album is my favorite from them.  As I turn 39 in few days I have similar thoughts and thank you for taking time to talk.  Look forward to seeing you soon.  Come visit us in NYC as I was told late last night that we will have the new Edition 6 prototype.  

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #53 of 83
HI Mbyrnes,

Well glad to hear it only took a couple listens to have you buy a unit from our company.  That is a great compliment.  As for the music I think they are all well within reach of what we could add.  Especially Silversun Pickups.  The Swoon album is my favorite from them.  As I turn 39 in few days I have similar thoughts and thank you for taking time to talk.  Look forward to seeing you soon.  Come visit us in NYC as I was told late last night that we will have the new Edition 6 prototype.  

A fellow Silversun fan! Nice!

I'm sure you have a few favorites from the early nineties era.

Went in thinking I'd love the Elear, nice being pleasantly surprised with something that exceeded my expectations.

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #54 of 83
I should have posted right after the meet - but just wanted to say there was so much great stuff on Sunday and thank you again to Lee for a great meet!  The stand-outs to me were...
1. the Sony MDZ1R and R10 on the yggy + balancing act combo...awesome!
2. the chord DAVE + Elear...would be a great transportable setup!
3. the 007 + SRM 727 + Gumby (hopefully I am remembering the amp correctly).... a very enjoyable stax setup!

I also came away reminded of how good the Hifiman Edition-X, HE-6, and HE-500 are for their price.

It was great seeing everyone and trying all the great stuff - looking forward to the next meet!

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #55 of 83
Talking about demo music:

I like Joe Stilgoes's Almost Like Being In Love.  When the bass comes in it can either sound like bass or it just sounds like a big wooly mess.  I did find some Stilgoe at the meet and he sounded not at all like he does  at home.  Dunno which is correct.

Then Whip It! by Devo.  I like how you can barely hear the backup singers repeating what the lead is singing a fraction of a second later.  I call it cheap reverb.  But it's not audible if the system isn't dialed in just so.

Benjamin Britten's Brandenburg Concerto #3 for big dynamic sound that spans the spectrum from way down low to way up high and lots of detail.  Each instrument should be heard in its own space with proper timbre.  I haven't heard another Brandenburg that is so detailed but I'm no expert.

Finally, anything with acoustic guitars and violins like Concerto de Aranjuez or Fireopal by Ottmar Leibert..  My dad played guitar so my genetic material resonates in tune with it :wink:  Violins just need to sound right.  Some people use piano music but I'm not into piano.  

I don't listen to much post-1989.

HST, loved hearing all the different kinds of music at the meet.  I just thought it was funny that neither Spotify nor Tidal seemed to have what I wanted to hear.  Millions of songs and nothing to listen to!

BTW, have I mentioned how much fun it was?

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #57 of 83
Thank you, Lee, for making this event happen.   This was my first year here, and I hope to be back next year.   My impression is that it is a good thing that we all have different tastes and expectations, and that price is a strong yet secondary consideration.   I am clearly not the only person who was greatly impressed with the HiFiMan Edition X.   Some  [ but not all  :) ] of the equipment that I had brought to the meeting was outclassed by some [ but not all  :) ] of the newer items.    My thanks to the others who brought equipment for their patience with my questions.

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #59 of 83
So sorry I missed this!  Is this something that is announced here or is there a list?  Maybe I'll bring a tape deck!

Bruce in Philly

It was announced in the Local Meets thread about 3 months ago. The next one will be next January...on the Sunday before the SuperBowl. Hope to see you there!

-Lee

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #60 of 83
So sorry I missed this!  Is this something that is announced here or is there a list?  Maybe I'll bring a tape deck!

Bruce in Philly

Actually announced August 20th

http://www.head-fi.org/t/817744/philadelphia-area-meet-january-29-2017-no-football-that-weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back