Philly meet Jan 29th 2017 Impressions thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #17 of 83
I think he meant Edition 6, Hifiman's new flagship ($6,000).

It sounded pretty bad. Very little bass. It was attached to a $15,000 amplifier, too. Pretty underwhelming. The Stax009 bests it in every way to my ears.

The Hifiman HEX v2 is great, I actually have one and may be listing for sale soon for anyone interested.

Everything else was so enjoyable. Highlights we're the Stax stuff, the Layla IEMs, and the Focal Elear to me. I had a chance to listen to nearly every headphone I'd ever be interested in. Pretty cool. Thanks again all.

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #18 of 83
  Only their $15k amp...it SHOULD be good enough!

OK then! Then either something was wrong or the HE-6's are not your cup-o-tea. Wouldn't be the first time. Cheers 

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #19 of 83
First post. First meet. GREAT time ...and man, did these folks bring the hardware! Heard stuff today that seemingly only existed as vaporware in magazines. Major drool-fest. Someone needed to follow me around with a mop. I'm still grinning like a Cheshire cat and I left 7 hours ago.

Here's a reasonable analogy: If this were a track day at the NJ Motorsports Park (a place I frequent regularly) we'd all be blabber-jabbering non-stop about how the Bugatti Veyron, McLaren P1, Ferrari Enzo, and Porsche 918 all showed up, AND the owners let you climb in the drivers seat to take their babies out for a wide-open blast, no questions asked.

But wait, there's more: Just when you think it can't get any better ...they feed you a delicious lunch, tell you your system sounds great, and say 'hope to see you again'. Hospitality indeed. Major accolades to Lee for putting out the open invite and hosting such a stellar event. Already looking forward to next year.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #20 of 83
Listening to the HEK ($3,000), Edition 6 ($6,000), and Edition X V2 ($1,299), I cannot justify another dollar over the X V2. I was the psycho listening at extremely loud volumes (Phillies blue sweatshirt). In short bursts, I learn a lot listening that loud, and when I am drunk, it is the volume I love to listen at, lol. Any headphone/speaker that holds up above 100-105db, will easily playback at normal listening volumes with the included dynamic range jumps in normal material. If they don't, usually they are falling apart within the normal listening range. Granted, it may be subtle, but I guarantee it is there. Some may prefer this distortion, as it isn't all bad. I am also sure a large portion listen at much lower volumes, and will never hear distortion from any headphone. I personally want something that is very capable at loud volumes. I listen to a lot of movies with a surround sound DSP for headphones. Reference is 85 db, with 105db peaks. Bass goes to 115db. I want my personal system to be able to handle those extremes! Edition X V2 was unreal, taking a beating without any distortion. When they are 103db efficient, vs the HEK's 90db, I am not really surprised I preferred the X V2. Granted, I work in an industrial environment, am accustomed to hearing loud volumes, and amazingly have very good hearing for a 39 year old. I know the limits of hearing levels and damage, and I play with those extremes regularly. Basically I would dial it up until I heard ANY kind of distortion, and would back off. Your gear was never in danger, though I did put the $15,000 Hifiman Amp into protection mode. The Auralic Taurus Amp was better in my opinion, as I couldn't get it above 40% without hurting my apparently deaf ears. So bad with names, but He had the Auralic and X V2! Quite jealous of the man!

I am very new to the headphone world, about 3 months seriously. I have 30 years in the home theater realm. I am finding the same truth I have always found with speakers. Efficiency is FAR more important than almost any other spec. Very sensitive headphones and speakers can play at high volumes effortlessly, without distortion. It never is an issue with power, as I have listened to inefficient systems with gobs of power, and they just can't get loud without issues. 

This is why I love being an audiophile. Everyone has their own goals and desires, and NO ONE is wrong. We all hear differently, have different goals, and what is one mans Nirvana is another mans garbage. This event is so special because I personally feel that everyone's ideal end game setup was VERY possibly there today. World class DACs, Amps, and Headphones touching every area. I personally didn't listen to a handful of setups for one very good reason. I do not want to hear a $10,000 setup that I will MAKE myself attain. Sorry to all of the wonderful owners of the SR-009, SR007, Dave, Yggy, etc. Believe me, I wanted to love your equipment more than you do, and there lies the problem. I might have, and knowing myself, I would have to have it. 

Highlights for me (please don't take offense if I left you off).*Auralic Taurus, Edition X V2, HEK, Comparing the Purplehearts to my Ebony TH-X00, Having someone love Silversun Pickups album Swoon, to the point of listening to the ENTIRE album in one sitting with my Ebonies, Being too occupied to have either a Sandwich or slice of Pizza, Lee's Studio (wish I could rent something just like it anywhere in Philly), how amazing and friendly ALL of you were, Meeting DoctorJazz (Who sold me by himself, by being honest and truthful, with his posts on the MicroZOTL2), Finally hearing Planar headphones (I want no parts of Electrostatics, I've heard the Floor-standing speakers and know it's a road I can't afford), being an audiophile and the listener not looking at me like I am drinking Mercury.

I do want to apologize as my setup was trashed at the start. I shorted an op-amp (a $70 Sparkos Labs SS3602), making my entire setup basically a pile of trash. I was really looking forward to showing a different side of the audio realm to some of you, and I was not able. The one piece of equipment that is truly the centerpiece, died on me. I was sooooo close to bringing a Blu-ray player and didn't. Really wish I did, but that is how life goes some times. I really enjoyed myself.

For next time, as this was my first, I felt naked without these things: Some signs, telling people what I had and my policies. It was towards the end that I realized my Audio Technica ATH-M50X had the HM5 pads instead of the stock pads. Someone listened and commented and felt like a jackass. I also had no problem with anyone grabbing a headphone and using it on their own gear. Some asked and of course I said yes, but not everyone is so open and maybe a few missed out on the opportunity. Really wish I had listed exactly what I had, what you could just take without asking, and signs telling people to suggest combos of gear that maybe I had one piece of. Really should have tried to get the DAVE and MZ2 together, Yggy, as well. I was thinking on the drive home, that I am sure a few would love to take someone else's gear that they own (but don't have with them), add someone else's Amp, and possibly another person's Headphone to make their "dream" setup. These are the events to make that happen, and I am sure with a little asking, it wouldn't have been a problem. Maybe next year once the gear is finalized, we can take votes for gear combos, and work out the details ahead of time. Maybe 2-3 "Dream" setups and have a special area for this purpose. 

Lee you were an awesome host, and I cannot thank you enough. Today exceeded my expectations and It will take a few days to truly soak everything in. Thank you for all the hard work and effort!

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #21 of 83
I think he meant Edition 6, Hifiman's new flagship ($6,000).

It sounded pretty bad. Very little bass. It was attached to a $15,000 amplifier, too. Pretty underwhelming. The Stax009 bests it in every way to my ears.

The Hifiman HEX v2 is great, I actually have one and may be listing for sale soon for anyone interested.

Everything else was so enjoyable. Highlights we're the Stax stuff, the Layla IEMs, and the Focal Elear to me. I had a chance to listen to nearly every headphone I'd ever be interested in. Pretty cool. Thanks again all.

If you list the Edition X V2, I am all over it! I am finding them for $995 lightly used (demo model), so obviously I have already been looking, lol. 

Whoever loaded the music for the Edition 6 should be shot in an alley. It wasn't the Rep today, but dear God that was a horrible selection! Who comes up with the tracks for these? Elear was a major focus for me today. While I really like it, I preferred the X V2. Different strokes!

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #22 of 83
Lee thanks for putting on another GREAT meet! Your hospitality is incredibly appreciated and I love the studio as a great place to host the event. 

Oddly I didn't listen that much but what I did listen to I'll put together some thoughts tonight. Great to see Ari (damn it has been too long!) and Peter. Hope to see you both in NYC. Frank always great so see you and thanks for the tip on that mid priced closed hp!.

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #23 of 83
I would say that edition 6 is definitely overpriced:/
And honestly I prefer the sound of he1000 :/ . Fangbian kinda lost his mind :/
Edition 6 is not balanced for me because of its bass which sometimes makes me ehhhhhh, and again the price.

Sr 009 is soooooooooooooo good (except the bass), but I'm a vocal person. 009 is perfect for me.

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #24 of 83
Once Again Lee put up an amazing meet!

It is always great meeting people whom you have not met before as well as old friends you only get to see at a head-fi meet.

This time around I was glad I was able to set up! A lot of people wanted to listen to the Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 and listen to cans I brought
as listed in my Sig. I got the Amarra 4 software working and it made demoing things easier. 

It was amazing hearing the Senn HD800 vs. the Focal Elear vs. Hifiman Edition X v2 vs. A Stax SR007mkii it gave me way too much think about.
For me? The Stax wins out but the Hifiman Edition X v2 for me beat out the other 2. BUT that is what works for me, everybody has their own ear. :)

Listening over at the Manufacturer table was gear I will probably never own, but it's always fun getting to hear it! It show what can really be done on the high end!

Thanks again and If and when you have another I will be there! 

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #25 of 83
Pics!!

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #28 of 83
Thanks for the proof I I needed for the wife :wink:  that i was at the meet.

My only regret about the meet was that there was no way to listen to the music I brought on the rigs.  Is there any sort of technical solution to that?  Tidal/Spotify helped a great deal but even they didn't have the music I brought.

Again, lovely time and amazing experience.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #29 of 83

My only regret about the meet was that there was no way to listen to the music I brought on the rigs.  Is there any sort of technical solution to that?  Tidal/Spotify helped a great deal but even they didn't have the music I brought.

Bring a DAP, 1/8-1/8 cable, a 1/8 to stereo RCA cable and possibly a digital cable. Then ask the rig owner's permission to connect into their amp/system.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #30 of 83

Damn, I brought like four 3.5mm to male stereo RCA jacks! They were for others to use. Really pissed i had problems with my setup. Could have been talking and letting people use my cables to use their players. I had one in my MicroZOTL2 for that exact purpose, (No sign, so if I wasn't there, you wouldn't have known).

Signage is what I forgot, and angers me the most. A lot of missed opportunities on my end to help others out. Oh well, it was my first event like this. I've only brought speakers I made to an event, which is self explanatory and they were featured by themselves for all to listen.

I had enough cables to do a few combos to get music into other's gear. Hell I even brought a few HDMI cables, just in case! Next time I'll be much more aware of what's needed and won't screw that up again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back