Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #106 of 2,061
On sale now for $44 shipped: http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=216
Honestly, something like the Fiio E11 can drive them very well. You don't need a powerful amp to drive them. The Fiio E11 has low and high gain settings as well. I think you don't need something more than a 150ohm amp to push these to its full potential. I had them hooked up to my SB Z and I had to keep the volume around 25 to 30%

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #110 of 2,061
Feb 2, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #118 of 2,061
They're good for movies but typically you want more bottom end for sound effects. However it has good soundstage, image, and you won't have a hard time hearing dialogue. Ear depth is shallow and your ears will touch the inner cloth but if you follow the Magickman mod found a few pages back you can make more room. However keep inmind putting the spacer ring and steps to do it is irreversible (not the feel mod though).

The brightness. Initially its unbearable, out of the box is extremely bad. My initial impression found early on this thread almost had me give up on them BUT after 100 it settled, 150hrs I was please, and 200hrs I was delighted by the overall impression. With the highs so bright at first it's going to be bad in other ways, soundstage is going to be bad because treble is too "in your face." The bass will sound non-existent too but they do shape nicely after the 100-150hrs. Very controlled and reaches deep, impact is anti-bassheads. I the DT880 and thought those had bright highs (they're somewhat piercing and not like that Grado treble which to me is bearable)..well these aren't even that. Theyre more Dt990 from description, which is even more piercing. If you ever want to hear effects of burn -in listen to these out of the box while you're relaxed. Keep note of the tracks you used and write impressions for no more than 30m Then let them run at normal listening levels for a week straight, then try them again. Burn-in is complete after 200hrs imo.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #120 of 2,061
They're good for movies but typically you want more bottom end for sound effects. However it has good soundstage, image, and you won't have a hard time hearing dialogue. Ear depth is shallow and your ears will touch the inner cloth but if you follow the Magickman mod found a few pages back you can make more room. However keep inmind putting the spacer ring and steps to do it is irreversible (not the feel mod though).

The brightness. Initially its unbearable, out of the box is extremely bad. My initial impression found early on this thread almost had me give up on them BUT after 100 it settled, 150hrs I was please, and 200hrs I was delighted by the overall impression. With the highs so bright at first it's going to be bad in other ways, soundstage is going to be bad because treble is too "in your face." The bass will sound non-existent too but they do shape nicely after the 100-150hrs. Very controlled and reaches deep, impact is anti-bassheads. I the DT880 and thought those had bright highs (they're somewhat piercing and not like that Grado treble which to me is bearable)..well these aren't even that. Theyre more Dt990 from description, which is even more piercing. If you ever want to hear effects of burn -in listen to these out of the box while you're relaxed. Keep note of the tracks you used and write impressions for no more than 30m Then let them run at normal listening levels for a week straight, then try them again. Burn-in is complete after 200hrs imo.

Thanks. I'm debating whether to buy these or some other open can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back