Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Jan 27, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #91 of 2,061
Hello everyone. I just pulled the trigger on these. Wondering what kind of amp should I go for to drive these properly. While staying cheap, I have the following options:

Bravo Audio V1/V3/Ocean
Little Dot+ with upgraded tubes (in the future)
JDLABS O2
Schiit Magni
Some Fiio stuff (E10K?) but not sure if I need the DAC too.

As you can see, I am not sure whether to go for tubes or solid state. My current setup is PC -> Marantz SR7000 (s/pdif) -> polk rti a1s. The headphone sound leaves something more to be desired and hence my conclusion that I probably need a dedicated amp (although my speakers sound awesome). 

Thanks!

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #92 of 2,061
These are very easy to amp, they can even go directly to a cell phones headphone out and still sound decent. When you choose one go for something that can power IEMs and headphones which should land you at the right power rating and allow more volume control (as opposed to jumping from barely audible to loud immediately).

I would try to side with something warm or neutral side with a warm tilt for these headphones. And if you want to step up a bit, i got a Project Polaris in the classifieds which will pair well with it and still scale to power hungry phones (shameless plug).

Jan 27, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #93 of 2,061
These are very easy to amp, they can even go directly to a cell phones headphone out and still sound decent. When you choose one go for something that can power IEMs and headphones which should land you at the right power rating and allow more volume control (as opposed to jumping from barely audible to loud immediately).

I would try to side with something warm or neutral side with a warm tilt for these headphones. And if you want to step up a bit, i got a Project Polaris in the classifieds which will pair well with it and still scale to power hungry phones (shameless plug).

Thanks Soundsgoodtome for the headsup on not getting something too aggressive. I also own MTH-50 and most times, I feel the sound is on the thin side and is not really full. I did checkout out your project polaris under the classified section. I would need to do some research on them and they are a bit more expensive for my first dedicated headphone amp. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #95 of 2,061
Hello everyone. I just pulled the trigger on these. Wondering what kind of amp should I go for to drive these properly. While staying cheap, I have the following options:

Bravo Audio V1/V3/Ocean
Little Dot+ with upgraded tubes (in the future)
JDLABS O2
Schiit Magni
Some Fiio stuff (E10K?) but not sure if I need the DAC too.

As you can see, I am not sure whether to go for tubes or solid state. My current setup is PC -> Marantz SR7000 (s/pdif) -> polk rti a1s. The headphone sound leaves something more to be desired and hence my conclusion that I probably need a dedicated amp (although my speakers sound awesome). 

Thanks!

Honestly, something like the Fiio E11 can drive them very well. You don't need a powerful amp to drive them. The Fiio E11 has low and high gain settings as well. I think you don't need something more than a 150ohm amp to push these to its full potential. I had them hooked up to my SB Z and I had to keep the volume around 25 to 30%

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #98 of 2,061
rudaye86, E11 could be a candidate. I am not sure if I really care for or need the form factor (portable) and the built-in battery. The amp will simply sit on my desk and would not like to pay extra for those things. But this could be a great little amp and the price is good. 

Btw, what do you guys think of tube vs. solid state? I really need to get that decided in my head so that I can start filtering the list. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #102 of 2,061
  Anyone compared Fidelio M1 to SHP9500? Is it possible that M1 is a superior headphone to 9500?

I have had an M1- there is no comparison, the 9500 is much better in every way except maybe build quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back