Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Feb 2, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #121 of 2,061
Ear depth is shallow and your ears will touch the inner cloth but if you follow the Magickman mod found a few pages back you can make more room. However keep in mind putting the spacer ring and steps to do it is irreversible (not the feel mod though).

I removed my first set of  "spacer rings" and the phones were back to normal ... they were just temporary parts anyway,  so I then put new rings of denser rubber in to a noticeable improvement.
The main reason for the "spacer rings" is not to give more ear room but to increase the bass, this it does most effectively.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #123 of 2,061
Just got my pair few hours ago and listened to them for an hour or so, swapping it with Audio technica MTH-50 (and some very old crappy but still usable AIWA stuff). Not a fair comparison as all are different kinds. Here are my impressions. 

Quality: Average good, mth-50 is better. 
Size: Very good and should fit all types of heads and ears. 
Sound: Soundstage could be a bit wider.  Better mids and highs (a bit more bright) but as people have noted, they are bright and hopefully should benefit from burn-in. Lows are flat and are not very noticeable unless the song demands it. That is a good thing as it indicates the neutral nature of these headphones. 

I now need to get myself a good tube amp (or some hybrid stuff) as I am sure they will pair very nicely and should warm up the sound while providing a bit enhanced low end. 

Off to burn-in them ... 200 hours right?

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #124 of 2,061

I now need to get myself a good tube amp (or some hybrid stuff)

And some 2mm felt and some 4-5mm rubber sheet
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #125 of 2,061
On that mod, you don't need to glue down the felt do you?  Couldn't you just cut the felt to the size of the rubber ring then glue those two together to make one piece and then stuff that in?  Or just have the rubber ring hold the felt down?

Wonder if you can cut the pad off and just put like a HM5 pad on?

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #126 of 2,061
  On that mod, you don't need to glue down the felt do you?  Couldn't you just cut the felt to the size of the rubber ring then glue those two together to make one piece and then stuff that in?  Or just have the rubber ring hold the felt down?

I didn't do a good job with gluing the felt down (equivalent to not gluing at all
smile.gif
) so I have the rubber holding the felt down in place. I wouldn't advise gluing the felt to the rubber ring as the ring has to have some fairly heavy manipulation to get it in and that would probably tear the felt.

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #127 of 2,061
Hey, guys, do you know where I can buy the felt and the rubber sheet from along with detailed instructions? How big of an effort would it be and is it really worth it? 

My phones are still going through the burn-in process and I haven't done any critical listening on them. But it does seem quite a bit weak on the low end. More to come later. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #128 of 2,061
Hey, guys, do you know where I can buy the felt and the rubber sheet from along with detailed instructions? How big of an effort would it be and is it really worth it? 

My phones are still going through the burn-in process and I haven't done any critical listening on them. But it does seem quite a bit weak on the low end. More to come later. 

The low end is to be expected. Don't think these headphones were made for a lot of bass but the low end dis controlled and solid that it's enough to let you know there is some low end.

For the felt and stuff, there was a post a few posts ago, maybe a page, where he tells you where to buy some. I'm on my phone so I can't really look for it right now.

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #130 of 2,061

Not a big effort IMHO. Definitely really worth it. (improves the bass and balances the highs)

I got the felt from a local craft shop and bought the rubber (4.5mm nitrile rubber was what I able to get) online. Drew templates for oval rings in CorelDraw - rubber cut quite easily, wiggled it in - job done.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #131 of 2,061
So I tried the mod...

One side went fine...

The other side.....

The glue between the cushion and the cover over the drivers were stuck together really good.  So when I pulled on it, the glue pulled apart from the weaker side which is the glue holding the cover to the cup.
  vs.

You can see how much glue was on the cushion/cover side and how little there was on the cover/cup side.

I bought the foam that has a sticky side and stuck the felt on it.  Worked pretty good when I was jamming them in together.  It never came apart.
It does tame the fatiguing high/high mids making it smoother and easier to listen to.  I remember when I first listened to the headphones and within 30 mins my ears were fatigued like crazy.  But maybe my ears got more used to it.  But the bass, I dunno.  Doesn't seem much of a difference, slight maybe but probably have to A/B them to tell the difference.  Not that noticeable of a change to me.  If one wants to just tame the highs then they do have some felt that has a sticker side.  Just cut an oval shape to fit and stick it on instead of applying glue to it.  That way you should be able to peel it off if you wanted to and there wouldn't be a gluey mess on the cover pad.  I'm thinking if you put glue or if you used the sticker felt, that layer of glue and the sticky stuff on the felt will also help to subdue the highs?  Not sure if that was part of his plan on the mod or not vs if you didn't put any glue on the felt while using a regular non sticker side felt.  Which was what I did.  I just stuck a regular piece of felt onto the sticky backside of the foam.  I didn't glue the felt onto the cover.

Anyways, I think I'm gonna cut off the pad and try to mod some HM5 pads on or something, I dunno.

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #132 of 2,061
  So I tried the mod...

The glue between the cushion and the cover over the drivers were stuck together really good.  So when I pulled on it, the glue pulled apart from the weaker side which is the glue holding the cover to the cup.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, I guess I naturally used one thumb to hold the cover down while the other eased up the pad a little a t a time - maybe I just got lucky.

What type of rubber did you use for the ring? It seems to be what brings the bass in.

I find mine all-day non-fatiguing, pretty much like my HD650 in that respect (I find my Q701 about 2 song fatiguing
frown.gif
 )

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #133 of 2,061
  Sorry to hear of your misfortune, I guess I naturally used one thumb to hold the cover down while the other eased up the pad a little a t a time - maybe I just got lucky.

What type of rubber did you use for the ring? It seems to be what brings the bass in.

I find mine all-day non-fatiguing, pretty much like my HD650 in that respect (I find my Q701 about 2 song fatiguing
frown.gif
 )

Hehe, no worries.

I just got some foam rubbery sheet from Michaels.  It seemed dense enough.  Couldn't find anything else so I was like oh well.  It was only 2mm and I was gonna double up on it but then since I doubled up already with the foam and felt, that should have added more depth so I figured it'd be ok.  I wasn't really sure about that foam either but I figure I can just test it then get something else later and have the headphones modded already so I can just pop it in later.

But yeah, that glue was on too good.  To pry apart the pad from the cover I had to grab both ends with each hands and pull them apart.  I tried holding the cover down too but they were stuck together too good.  The other side went fine though.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #134 of 2,061
  But yeah, that glue was on too good.  To pry apart the pad from the cover I had to grab both ends with each hands and pull them apart.  I tried holding the cover down too but they were stuck together too good.  The other side went fine though.

I was just lucky then
smily_headphones1.gif

I found the thicker solid rubber made a worthwhile improvement (to bass) over the wetsuit material I used while I waited for the rubber to arrive.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #135 of 2,061
Hi. Could someone tell me how the shp 9500 sounds in comparison to the Superlux HD681 EVO? Is there a lot of difference between the two? Because I really like how the shp 9500 looks, but the hd681 evo costs half the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back