Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Sep 7, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #706 of 1,072
  The SHH series with the mic is pure crap.
The SHE series without mic sounds great with double flange Meelec tips, even without EQ.

Ok, but I didn't say SHH. I have the SHE3575 (has mic) and the SHE3590 (no mic).

Anyway, these are ok(ish) for electronic music (and maybe hiphop? i dunno, don't listen to it), but they absolutely SUCK for any kind of rock or metal. They exaggerate snare drums and guitars to the point where my ears are begging me to take them out.

Kinda disappointing because I like to listen to electronic AND metal while in the gym.. I get sick of just listening to electronic the whole time. This was something the EPH100 were really amazing with, they could handle both types of music without sounding like crap.

Not that I was expecting anything like the Yamahas at this price point, but still annoying I can't listen to the music I want to.

But these are really nice buds for watching movies with, so that's a plus.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #707 of 1,072
I just got a pair of SHE3590, I dont really like the sound without EQ, but with the EQ on with strong bass, it is ok.

When I bought the SHE3590, I also came across the SHE7000 which claim to have extra bass and it was the same price as 3590! I wonder if it can give the sound like EQ'ed 3590 with no EQ itself.

-----edit-------

I've got to change my mind after reading the previous posts in this thread. I tried to put on the earphones with better seal and 'WOW' what a big difference! The sound is just right! This really surprised me. At first I was very disappointed but now I am very satisfied. Thanks people here pointing me to the right direction enjoying this pair of earphones.

But I still want to know the difference on the bass between 3590 and 7000.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #708 of 1,072
I just got a pair of SHE3590, I dont really like the sound without EQ, but with the EQ on with strong bass, it is ok.

When I bought the SHE3590, I also came across the SHE7000 which claim to have extra bass and it was the same price as 3590! I wonder if it can give the sound like EQ'ed 3590 with no EQ itself.
edit

I've got to change my mind after reading the previous posts in this thread. I tried to put on the earphones with better seal and 'WOW' what a big difference! The sound is just right! This really surprised me. At first I was very disappointed but now I am very satisfied. Thanks people here pointing me to the right direction enjoying this pair of earphones.

But I still want to know the difference on the bass between 3590 and 7000.

The 35XX and 7000 have similar bass (though I haven't done a proper A/B). The difference is that the 7000 has more accurate treble.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #710 of 1,072
  Has anyone else used these along with Accudio (iOS) or (Viper4Android)? I cannot express enough how awesome the 3590 becomes with these and the 3590 IRS files.

Is there any way to use the IRS files on Windows?

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #711 of 1,072
  Is there any way to use the IRS files on Windows?

There will be. The same person who made Viper4Android is releasing Viper4Windows soon, and you can load .IRS files in it.

If anyone doesn't know what .IRS files are, they are impulse response files that "correct" the response curve of headphones to try to achieve a flat "reference" quality response. When I load the IRS file for the Philips and give it a slight boost bass in V4A, it sounds better and more fun to me than my RE-400's, which is quite an achievement for $10. It works great on the Monoprice in-ears too with it's .irs file.

Accudio has them built in on iOS, but I keep all my music on my android tablet and use V4A more.

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #712 of 1,072
  Has anyone else used these along with Accudio (iOS) or (Viper4Android)? I cannot express enough how awesome the 3590 becomes with these and the 3590 IRS files.

I think a link or two is required here
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #714 of 1,072
Sep 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #716 of 1,072

Use a regular equalizer. IRS files are mathematically equivalent to a single equalizer setting (filter, really) that you can't change and if they're linear phase they can introduce pre-ringing.

IRS files are based off of measurements of the specific earphone/headphone and are much more accurate with correction than someone fiddling with an EQ would ever be.

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #717 of 1,072

IRS files are based off of measurements of the specific earphone/headphone and are much more accurate with correction than someone fiddling with an EQ would ever be.

Don't be silly. The ones linked are impulse responses of a minimum-phase EQ - they literally are the result of 'someone fiddling with an EQ'.

Sep 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #719 of 1,072
Sep 13, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #720 of 1,072
Use a regular equalizer. IRS files are mathematically equivalent to a single equalizer setting (filter, really) that you can't change and if they're linear phase they can introduce pre-ringing.

Yes, my IRS is the same as a regular equalizer--if you have a 24 band parametric equalizer with infinitely adjustable centre frequencies and Q on your phone.

... I have not found such a software in any phone app. Even if such a thing existed configuring it on a phone's touchscreen would be a nightmare.

Then again, if you would tweak electri-q yourself and filter out the resonant peaks for YOUR ears instead of using the settings for my ears, the result could be even better. You can then record an impulse response file of this EQ and use it on your phone as an IRS.

Viper4Android incorporates a separate 10 band equalizer. What I do is load the IRS to correct for the earphones then add on EQ to taste for different music. :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back