Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Dec 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #466 of 1,072
Quote:
God, let's hope he's sending a quantity of 20 for that price.

Quote:
They're on to us! 
etysmile.gif
 It's not absurd, it's outrageous. Perhaps a typo? 
blink.gif

Something tells me it's not a typo. A quick look through his headphones for sale and it seems most of the SHE3590s with or without a mic cost a laughable amount. I'm guessing he meant HK dollars, not US dollars. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #467 of 1,072
I've recently got back into rock/metal and I've found that my SHH3580s sound awful at anything past 3/4 volume on my iPhone. Painful treble and mids just mush into noise.

Anyone else have this problem? Maybe something a headphone amp would resolve? Anything electronic or hip hop sounds great.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #468 of 1,072
I've recently got back into rock/metal and I've found that my SHH3580s sound awful at anything past 3/4 volume on my iPhone. Painful treble and mids just mush into noise.

Anyone else have this problem? Maybe something a headphone amp would resolve? Anything electronic or hip hop sounds great.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #469 of 1,072
Depending on the metal you're listening to, you may simply be running up against the limits of $15 headphones, even if they're exceptionally good for $15. Metal, or at least the subgenres of metal I listen to (death, black, grind) is generally very complex and requires detailed, fast, resolving headphones to capture it in all its glory. The Philips I think do a good job up to a point, but I do think they are much more suitable for pop/electronic/hiphop genres. They do great for metal/rock for casual listening, but not for exceptionally detailed listening. With the budget headphone category, complex genres like metal tend to get muddled up. The 3590 does a good job for the price nonetheless.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #470 of 1,072
Depending on the metal you're listening to, you may simply be running up against the limits of $15 headphones, even if they're exceptionally good for $15. Metal, or at least the subgenres of metal I listen to (death, black, grind) is generally very complex and requires detailed, fast, resolving headphones to capture it in all its glory. The Philips I think do a good job up to a point, but I do think they are much more suitable for pop/electronic/hiphop genres. They do great for metal/rock for casual listening, but not for exceptionally detailed listening. With the budget headphone category, complex genres like metal tend to get muddled up. The 3590 does a good job for the price nonetheless.

I've not been listening to anything as heavy as that. Deftones new album has been in heavy rotation recently. Am I right in saying the 3580s are a v shaped sound, and I'd be probably happier with a more balanced sound?

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #471 of 1,072
I would say yes they are bit V shaped, messing with the EQ can help that a bit, the 3580's are great for the older Metal (hair bands even) but my X10's do a better job with the newer stuff like the deftones. I still like the 3580s for the newer stuff but they can get a little fatiguing if listening to higher levels for a while. Can't find a good EQ setting for the ipod with tames the top while still getting that good low end punch - always go back to the Rock setting (sometimes Lounge)

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #472 of 1,072
Yes the SHE3580 has somewhat boosted highs and as shown in my EQ graphs also somewhat uneven.  I recommend the Sony MH1C if the 3580 highs aren't doing it for you.  Very smooth and extended.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #473 of 1,072
I find the 3590 to be excellent at safe volumes, or basically one notch above 50% and under if I were to estimate. They isolate well, so blasting them at 75% volume is unnecessary for me.

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #474 of 1,072
For those in Australia, I just found a great deal on these (3570 form).
On www.crazysales.com.au going for $1 with various colours. I got 10 of various colours for several xmas gifts.
To my pleasant surprise when I decided to add a few extra on top of the first 2 I was going to get, I realised the postage was dramatically reduced. Ended up total cost ~$23 for the 10.
Just search for she3570 and it will show the various ones.
Thought I would post here but not sure if there is a forum section for deals.
Enjoy

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #476 of 1,072
I'm confused. I just bought these from a TJ Maxx for $7.... SHE 3590 I think, packaging said "Dynamic Bass"... the highs and mid-range are great, very clear and very defined. I'm actually very surprised and impressed, the reviews from this site do not lie! The bass, however... is hardly there! I boost the bass with the EQ and then they sound amazing... but I feel like with all the talk of how awesome the bass on these things is, something is amiss. I am not a basshead, but I really have to strain to hear the low end on these things. Even my sister with non-critical ears said "something is missing, I don't know, it sounds weird. can I go now?"

Did I just get a bad build? I want to get another pair if I did.... or maybe contact Philips for a replacement :p (hey I'm a grad student, I'm cheap)

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #477 of 1,072
Quote:
I'm confused. I just bought these from a TJ Maxx for $7.... SHE 3590 I think, packaging said "Dynamic Bass"... the highs and mid-range are great, very clear and very defined. I'm actually very surprised and impressed, the reviews from this site do not lie! The bass, however... is hardly there! I boost the bass with the EQ and then they sound amazing... but I feel like with all the talk of how awesome the bass on these things is, something is amiss. I am not a basshead, but I really have to strain to hear the low end on these things. Even my sister with non-critical ears said "something is missing, I don't know, it sounds weird. can I go now?"

Did I just get a bad build? I want to get another pair if I did.... or maybe contact Philips for a replacement :p (hey I'm a grad student, I'm cheap)

bad seal? these HAVE bass

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #478 of 1,072
Quote:
bad seal? these HAVE bass

I'm using the stock tips but they're decent in terms of seal and isolation. I can't hear two people having a conversation three feet away but I also can't hear any bass without straining or EQ...

It's like these have the opposite problem as my Meelec M6. They're all bass and nothing else, these are all mids and highs and no bass. If I could combine the two...

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #479 of 1,072
Quote:
I'm using the stock tips but they're decent in terms of seal and isolation. I can't hear two people having a conversation three feet away but I also can't hear any bass without straining or EQ...

It's like these have the opposite problem as my Meelec M6. They're all bass and nothing else, these are all mids and highs and no bass. If I could combine the two...

I just got my SHE3590 and if you can't hear the bass on them, then something is definitely wrong. This is coming from a basshead.

These are very good for the price and they're the exact form factor that I've been looking for - small, low-profile, and I can lay the side of my head on my pillow without any problems. The only complaint I have with them is that there's no chin slider. It's not too bad if I wear them over the ear, but I could still use one.

Time to sell my Westone 4R......

EDIT: Made a nice slider out of heatshrink tubing. Works quite well.

dtipIconHover.png

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #480 of 1,072
I just got these yesterday, but could only get a good fit with some Sony hybrid tips, which have a smaller hole than what the original Phillips tips have for sound to pass through. Does anyone know how this will affect the sound quality and sound stage? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back