Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Sep 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #361 of 1,072
I do love these iem's but I must say I am excited for my hf3's which I paid 56$ for to come in the mail! 

has anyone tried any other tips other then the stock ones that came with these? 

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #363 of 1,072
The sound of SHE3575 is getting better after burned in for 4 days with pink noise. Now the bass and sub bass are having good enough power to deliver while taming that fatigue on high. The love is getting stronger each day. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #364 of 1,072
I received my SHE3582 (blue version of the SHE3580's) in the mail today. The medium tips provided optimal fit and seal. The large tips seemed to secure the buds but too far up the ear canal, making the vocals sound distant. Immediate observations were that it takes a higher volume setting to reach the same volume on the earphones than it does the SHURE E5C's, my 8 year old daily commute phones. Is this related to the sensativity rating of headphones? The clarity and warmth of the vocals was a pleasant surprise. the base seems deeper but tight, likely to improve after burn in. They dont have the detailed clarity of the Etymotic HF5's but then again, when in a noisy commute environment, these finer details are hardly noticible. The Philips do have a fuller deeper base range which the HF5s signature sound lacks IMHO. These $7 headphones actually make me want to listen to my music louder. OP, thanks so much for recommending these headphones. Looking forward to the 9700's while this pair gets burned in over the next few days. Maybe i can give my $499 headphones a few days off now while these $7 phones get burned in.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #365 of 1,072
Quote:
I received my SHE3582 (blue version of the SHE3580's) in the mail today. The medium tips provided optimal fit and seal. The large tips seemed to secure the buds but too far up the ear canal, making the vocals sound distant. Immediate observations were that it takes a higher volume setting to reach the same volume on the earphones than it does the SHURE E5C's, my 8 year old daily commute phones. Is this related to the sensativity rating of headphones? The clarity and warmth of the vocals was a pleasant surprise. the base seems deeper but tight, likely to improve after burn in. They dont have the detailed clarity of the Etymotic HF5's but then again, when in a noisy commute environment, these finer details are hardly noticible. The Philips do have a fuller deeper base range which the HF5s signature sound lacks IMHO. These $7 headphones actually make me want to listen to my music louder. OP, thanks so much for recommending these headphones. Looking forward to the 9700's while this pair gets burned in over the next few days. Maybe i can give my $499 headphones a few days off now while these $7 phones get burned in.

Nice impressions.  With regard to commuting, I actually use the MC5 (which I later got to replace my eternally broken ER-4P) mainly for commuting, where their extra isolation allows me to pick up more details.  I use the SHE3580 in quiet places, including at home, where the shallower fit and the slightly vented driver provides more comfort and what I perceive as a more "open" sound.  I also can't perceive a difference in detail from the MC5 and ER-4P, especially when my custom parametric EQ is engaged.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 14, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #366 of 1,072
Quote:

Nice impressions.  With regard to commuting, I actually use the MC5 (which I later got to replace my eternally broken ER-4P) mainly for commuting, where their extra isolation allows me to pick up more details.  I use the SHE3580 in quiet places, including at home, where the shallower fit and the slightly vented driver provides more comfort and what I perceive as a more "open" sound.  I also can't perceive a difference in detail from the MC5 and ER-4P, especially when my custom parametric EQ is engaged.

Joe,

Have you tried or considered the NRB Mod?

Cheers, Jim

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #367 of 1,072
I am using parametric EQ on the MC5.  One -11dB notch filter at 7.5-8kHz takes care of the one half-wave resonance frequency while a +10dB low shelf filter boosts the subbass to mostly satisfying amounts.  They still can't quite rumble like the SHE3580 though, even with the bass nerfed by -10dB the way I usually listen to the 3580.  More subbass boost and I'm afraid of damaging the drivers.  Your filter mod just takes away more highs leaving the bass to be boosted by extra amping, so I doubt it's going to do any better.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 18, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #368 of 1,072
SoundMagic E30 with 100 hours of burn-in  vs Phillips with 300 hours of use and burn in.
Do they need more burn-in time? i dont thinks so.

Bass:  3580 wins, goes lower.  Could be a bad thing for those that dont want to much bass.
Mids:  almost the same, 3580 is an inch more recesed, but you have to spend so time trying to hear the difference.
highs:  3580 are brighter, that helps with the overall sound, giving them more "clarity"
Details and soundstage =  draw.
Build Construction:  E30 wins.
Microphonics:  E30 wins but not by much. The cable of the E30 makes noise, more than the JVC's

The E30 is more "balanced" meaning that the bass doesnt go that low and highs are lacking a compared to the 3580, its a good iem comes with nice accesorys, but for 40 bucks the value ratio is lower than the 3580.

Why pay 40 bucks when a 10 dollar iem sounds better?
cool.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #370 of 1,072
SHE3590's received today,
The flaws, because they're easy to point out are: a very microphonic cable, and the bass is a bit too much and quite slow and detached from the rest of the sound (but definitely has extension!). Otherwise these sound amazing for what they cost and even if they don't beat/rival other IEM's they do demonstrate complete proof of diminishing returns.

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #371 of 1,072
Quote:
SHE3590's received today,
The flaws, because they're easy to point out are: a very microphonic cable, and the bass is a bit too much and quite slow and detached from the rest of the sound (but definitely has extension!). Otherwise these sound amazing for what they cost and even if they don't beat/rival other IEM's they do demonstrate complete proof of diminishing returns.

Reminds me how they soundend with little or no burn-in,   give them some time and the bass will not sound muddy or slow, it will go low , tight and fast.  Treble gets better.
These has to be one of the best bangs for the buck on audio.

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #372 of 1,072
Reminds me how they soundend with little or no burn-in,   give them some time and the bass will not sound muddy or slow, it will go low , tight and fast.  Treble gets better.
These has to be one of the best bangs for the buck on audio.

They're now playing though my library, in a sock, in a drawer. I'll give 'em 50 hours or so.
It's perfect opportunity for me to see if burn-in is for real - albeit subjectively. I suspect initial burn-in is 95-99.99% psychological (not talking about when something physically begins to degrade or wear out) but I've not decided yet so I don't think I'm too biased; and as I picked these up for the novelty/as a spare, and own plenty of other headphones I've nothing to prove one way or another. The low frequency characteristics of these were pretty distinctive so a good pair to test this out on.

We shall see, err, hear.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #373 of 1,072
I am only recently got into headphones but ive always been into music, but never really high end headphones usialy just systems,. but when i saw this i thought hmm why not? iu found em for 6$ a pop picked up 3 pairs, i go through em at work because i work construction and i dont like to use high end headphones. i have a set of AKG K550's and they are my preciouse, and i was accualy just listneing to them went upstairs saw the package openedd a set pluged it into my E7 on my computer which i have my K550's in, i litelry took off my 550's and put in the buds while the music played and didnt feel much dif, the impact is acualy much strong on the buds, not as warm and tonaly accuate, but the impact and low end feels so good, a little wompy sometimes with hard drum hits it feels, vocals are very nice and they just sound freaking amazing for 6$ agaisnt my 300$ AKG's :frowning2: lol still, my AKG's are something special i love them so much, ive never heard a set of headphones so warm and emersive. the low end is perfect too, not much impact but it can be their with a little EQ you can get a nice impact. the larger rubber feet were to large and held them to far out for me, the medium got uncofny after 5 mins, the smalls are nice though for me at least :) 

another test i did i ran the app i run on my evo 4g LTE on songza, a pandora like steamikng music app, and the run beats to give it that little what ever. i mean its a bit gimiky but it does sound nice. anyways, i had my old work headphones playing at the end of the day, i just went to play the song i was listneing to which had an emence amount of bass that the 15$ set of sporty buds i hads would just fumble all over litterly almost falling apart, but with these on the same device same out, same style ear buds, these took those lows and just played em beuatifuly with out even breaking a sweat on the buds. the higher end can be a bit hollow on a song that usialy has a very powerful vocal, leaving abit to be desired in this area, but than the break down to the song will come with some nice lows and it just takes your attention right away to how great they sound. but the lows do almost feel like their out of control, so i suspsect with the kind of use i genraly give ear buds at work i'll probobly easily blow em in a few months, at least i hope, ive had other fail in 2-3 weeks, ive had Ipod earbuds break in 1.5 days, so i mean they dont take my work well lol so lets see how these really perform in the field :wink: the mids are just kinda week or all over depending on the song, very clearly a cheaper driver but this also isnt a true highdef feed. not sure what kind bit rate songza streams at, seems a bit cleaner than pandora to me but idk i havnt used pandora allot never really liked any of the stations, found songza nicer because you can use moods :p 

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #374 of 1,072
Phillips SHE3584:

Are these the same as the 3580??  I just got a pair of 3584's and they sound horrible;   brittle, harsh,  shrill,no bass , etc.  I can't believe these could be the same iem as all the raving reviews here would indicate.  Please tell me that they are not at all the same??!!

My source is an ipod Gen 5.5, no EQ .

bob

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #375 of 1,072
Quote:
Phillips SHE3584:

Are these the same as the 3580??  I just got a pair of 3584's and they sound horrible;   brittle, harsh,  shrill,no bass , etc.  I can't believe these could be the same iem as all the raving reviews here would indicate.  Please tell me that they are not at all the same??!!

My source is an ipod Gen 5.5, no EQ .

bob

Simple,  you dont have a proper seal,   you have to "push" the tips inside you earcanal deep as you can,  if it stills doesnt work try another tip (they come in 3 sizes,  S M L)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back