Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Sep 3, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #346 of 1,072
I don't know about subbass but comply T-400 medium tips will tame 2 treble peaks out of a total of 4 peaks for me.  On the other hand they are prone to produce a channel imbalance between left and right ears for me.  Which is probably an issue peculiar to me and at most a few others, otherwise these tips would be getting a rash of returns?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 4, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #347 of 1,072
I don't know about subbass but comply T-400 medium tips will tame 2 treble peaks out of a total of 4 peaks for me.  On the other hand they are prone to produce a channel imbalance between left and right ears for me.  Which is probably an issue peculiar to me and at most a few others, otherwise these tips would be getting a rash of returns?

OIC, thanks for the heads up. :)

Update:
Perhaps this explains why i get irritated with the stock ear tips on SHE3575 compared to the comfort I have on SHE9700.
On Philips SHE9700: Super soft rubber ear caps for long lasting comfort
The ultra soft rubber material on the rubber caps are sensational to the touch and adapts effortlessly to your

The comfort and sub-bass sound is better by using SHE9700's medium ear tips on SHE3575, but still it gives a little discomfort to my right ear. I've tried using the small one but it sounded unbalance. Overall, since I need the mic, I'm quite satisfied with the sound quality a SHE3575 can produce. I think my right ear canal's diameter falls into a small medium category *sigh*. Now it's time to hunt the perfect ear tips for this little baby. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyloh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now how about SHE9700? I heard from a nutty man that these use the same driver, same SQ yet better bass due to the tunnel like design.

And as for Cyloh, if you like more sub-bass, lesser fatigue on high frequency, and don't need mic function, you should really consider going the SHE9700 route. SHE9700 is cheaper couples buck than SHE3580 variant, at least in Indonesia. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #348 of 1,072
I got my SHE3580 today. I wasn't expecting too much but WOW! What blew me away was the bass. It sounded good without muddying up the mids and highs.
First thing I played was Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon. Swear to God my head was vibrating from the bass. I'm using these for my Android phone.
I bought Jet Audio Pro for my phone and put in a little mid bump with the equalizer and I have a big smile on my face! This is the best $14.95 I've spent in a while.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #349 of 1,072
I got my SHE3580 today. I wasn't expecting too much but WOW! What blew me away was the bass. It sounded good without muddying up the mids and highs.
First thing I played was Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon. Swear to God my head was vibrating from the bass. I'm using these for my Android phone.
I bought Jet Audio Pro for my phone and put in a little mid bump with the equalizer and I have a big smile on my face! This is the best $14.95 I've spent in a while.
:ksc75smile:

Dang... Now you've done it.

I had to go and listen to the Dark Side myself.

Now I won't get anything done today... Thanks... LOLz

Enjoy em, Jim

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #351 of 1,072
Finally decided to pick up a pair of these as my Creative EP-630s are no longer serviceable.

I'm mainly a headphones guy (only other IEMs I have are the Triple-Fis), but needed some decent earphones/IEMs to use during commute, and decided to try these based on popular feedback. Picked up a pair of SHE3580s (they had the 3590s too, but figured I might as well get the exact one that's been lauded so highly on here.)

And frankly, I've been very disappointed thus far.

Was expecting the SHE3580s to pleasantly surprise me, if not wow me over like it has for other users in this thread.

The EP-630s were a nice pair that were to me, fairly average across the board, which made them perfect beater earphones for use around the city. It never really shined at any one part, whether it was treble, bass, vocals, or instrumentals, but everything was "good enough" that it never really bothered me.

The SHE3580s on the other hand, right out of the box, was rather unflattering. The construction of the actual set is rather solid, except the headphone jack seems to be rather picky with my iPod, and simply twisting it the wrong way kills one of the channels.

Musically, the SHE3580s simply murdered my vocal tracks. Songs that have female vocalists with bright, strong, arias now had tinny, wavering ditties. Though I don't think anyone in this thread has yet complimented the SHE3580s on their suitability with vocals, so I was more accepting of that.

However, one thing I did notice people expressed was regarding strength of the bass and it's energy. So I loaded up some songs with plenty of bass... nothing. The bass was clear, that much was for sure. But completely devoid of  any punch or energy whatsoever. I even loaded some dubstep to see if it wasn't just the quality of the bass in the song... but one has to admit something's amiss when even the "great" wubwubs can't really push through.

Though I did find some positives in the SHE3580s. Resolution was very good. I definitely was able to hear more detail from them than the EP-630s, which pleasantly surprised me. And while the sounds were weak and colorless, they were not without clarity. None of my songs sounded muffled or overblown, which I appreciated.

After my initial disappointment, I tried fiddling around with the EQ and adapted settings similar to what Joe Bloggs suggested. While it did improve the sound somewhat, it was still a far cry from what I was expecting when I first put on these earphones.

Hopefully my problems are just a matter of burn-in, or perhaps of user error, but as it stands, I am unfortunately not able to be as enthusiastic about these earphones as others are.

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #352 of 1,072
One of the reasons I highly suggest burn in before listening.

Hope it works out for you.

Jim

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #353 of 1,072
Quote:

However, one thing I did notice people expressed was regarding strength of the bass and it's energy. So I loaded up some songs with plenty of bass... nothing. The bass was clear, that much was for sure. But completely devoid of  any punch or energy whatsoever. I even loaded some dubstep to see if it wasn't just the quality of the bass in the song... but one has to admit something's amiss when even the "great" wubwubs can't really push through.

This tells me you most definitely don't have a seal. Try the other tips that came with them.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #354 of 1,072
Quote:

This tells me you most definitely don't have a seal. Try the other tips that came with them.

for sure.. he has seal problems or the unit is defective.  the 3580 has a big bass the goes very low, close the the FX1X other cheapo with huge bass.
if you got seal problems then anything stated like weak sound, and voices is related to seal problems.

i cant argue with someone not liking the overall sound of the 3580, but not having bass or lacking dinamics or punch? that for sure is a bad seal.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #355 of 1,072
These are my most bass heavy iem's, more bass then my Klipsch x10i's, cx300's, ibeats, monoprice 8230's, Klipsch s4's. They sound great for a lot of genres, I wouldn't call them hifi but they sound incredible for their price and amazing with electronica and everything else.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #356 of 1,072
These are my most bass heavy iem's, more bass then my Klipsch x10i's, cx300's, ibeats, monoprice 8230's, Klipsch s4's. They sound great for a lot of genres, I wouldn't call them hifi but they sound incredible for their price and amazing with electronica and everything else.

I would rate their bass quantity on par or above Monster Turbine. However where the compromise is.... SHE3580 lose out in quality and decay over the more expensive Turbines by a decnt margin. It appears quite easy to get large amounts of bass these days, but where it matters is the quality, texture, detail of such frequency's.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #358 of 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by menchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The SHE3580s on the other hand, right out of the box, was rather unflattering. The construction of the actual set is rather solid, except the headphone jack seems to be rather picky with my iPod, and simply twisting it the wrong way kills one of the channels.

Musically, the SHE3580s simply murdered my vocal tracks. Songs that have female vocalists with bright, strong, arias now had tinny, wavering ditties. Though I don't think anyone in this thread has yet complimented the SHE3580s on their suitability with vocals, so I was more accepting of that.

Did you get the SHH3580 (with mic) or the SHE3580?  Having connection problems new out of box seems to be indicative of either a defective unit or using a TRRS (i.e. 4-connection jack with mic) jack on a socket not designed for it.  If you are getting a bad connection because of TRRS incompatibility you'd basically near totally cancel out the center channel (where the vocals are) and stereo cues on the left and right would be converted to mono.  In other words, a really screwy sound.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #359 of 1,072
Still trying to figure out the extreme EQ software, but in the meantime I'm casually fiddling with my player's EQ. 

EDIT: I have looked at quite a few self-EQ guides on HF, but I still can't seem to understand the programs. Any other resources you guys could recommend? (VTS Host + VAC in conjunction w/ the program per the OP). 

I've found a bit of a rattle in these bad boys? Dunno what's going on. Might be my ears, might be the SHEs. It kind of sounds like the crackling you get when you listen to the stocko iPod headphones. You know what I'm talking about? Chhhhhhk Chhhk Chhhk etc :p

Please note: haven't read this entire thread, so apologies are in order if I have missed a post which diagnoses/resolves my issue. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #360 of 1,072
Quote:
Still trying to figure out the extreme EQ software, but in the meantime I'm casually fiddling with my player's EQ. 

EDIT: I have looked at quite a few self-EQ guides on HF, but I still can't seem to understand the programs. Any other resources you guys could recommend? (VTS Host + VAC in conjunction w/ the program per the OP). 

I've found a bit of a rattle in these bad boys? Dunno what's going on. Might be my ears, might be the SHEs. It kind of sounds like the crackling you get when you listen to the stocko iPod headphones. You know what I'm talking about? Chhhhhhk Chhhk Chhhk etc :p

Please note: haven't read this entire thread, so apologies are in order if I have missed a post which diagnoses/resolves my issue. 

Might be improper EQ settings leading to clipping.  If you are boosting any bands, try lowering the preamp slider or, if there isn't one, lower all the sliders until you have the same EQ setting but by cutting all the other bands instead of boosting the band you want to boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back