Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Jun 28, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #211 of 1,072
Quote:
From the box this things sound veerrry good, has that V shapped sound thats been told before.  I can be wrong, but i can hear more details on my Mp 8320, they have more mids and more detail, can i be wrong here?

But i am loving this Phillips, amazing for the price!

Before my MP 8320 died from that terrible tangled cord, I felt they sounded very similar to the SHE 3580, altho' I didn't think either had a V shaped sound.  Both have very good mids to me, in good balance with bass & highs.  But I do think the MP gets a slight nod in the details level.  I would order another MP if I knew they had a better cable, and a smaller housing -- it was kind of ridiculous!  But with the SHE 3580, I haven't missed the MP 8320.

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #212 of 1,072
Quote:
Hi

I am long time reader (i am from Panama, Central America, sorry for my bad english).
I have a few headphones\earphones  (MP 8320, HTF600, Senn Hd 280Pro, Koss KSC75, JVC Fx35, Fx101,  Beats Pro (dont ask!!), Senn`s 205.etcetc)  and i am not a sound expert.

From the box this things sound veerrry good, has that V shapped sound thats been told before.  I can be wrong, but i can hear more details on my Mp 8320, they have more mids and more detail, can i be wrong here?

But i am loving this Phillips, amazing for the price!

Agree with you that the Philips has less mids, if you read my opening post you see that I EQ the Philips to bring the mids out and it sounds wonderful. 
etysmile.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 29, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #213 of 1,072
Thank you, to the gentlemen who attempted to help me replace the rubber tip on my SHE3580. I tried putting them at an angle, I tried flicking it over while grabbing a small section, but eventually I just grabbed some larger tips that went on with a breeze. But I may eventually come back to the stock tips and try out the heating advice or lubrication. Good advice all around.

Seriously, though, should you need a Bachelor's Degree to put the stock tips on?

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #214 of 1,072
Quote:
Seriously, though, should you need a Bachelor's Degree to put the stock tips on?

lol: It really shouldn't be to hard being honest. There have been many others suffer from tip-dyslexia in the past though.

We'll make you a video next time if it cometh upon you. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #215 of 1,072
Quote:
Thank you, to the gentlemen who attempted to help me replace the rubber tip on my SHE3580.

I have to make sure my hands are very dry to get them on -- the least bit of moistness makes the little earbud un-grippable, so I know what you mean trying to get the stock tips back on.  But I like them the best, TBH.

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #216 of 1,072
After using these solidly for the last two weeks, the biggest compliment I can give them is that I have been able to forget all about the earphones and just listen to music - end of the day, that's what we are looking for with any kit. I agree with several posters re the cable, but I have been able to live with the stock tips - no doubt better tips will give you a better fit but that hasnt been an issue for me. I did play with EasyEQ but I dont pretend that I have found the 'ideal' settings - I quickly tired of messing around with pink noise - but its there if I want to revisit that later. 

What I find encouraging about these cheapies isnt that they are a replacement for a more expensive headphone - its that they are so readily available in brick-and-mortar stores all over Oz. This is the kind of IEM you can happily throw in a backpack without stressing over the prospect of losing/damaging your $300+ earphones. If you can get them for under 10 bucks online, my advice is to consider buying a couple of pairs and just keep one in a draw for the day your 'disposable' IEMs inevitably self-destruct. Save the good phones for listening at home - win-win.

Of course, if Phillips can build something this capable for so little money, I have to question exactly what the unit cost of my $100 RE0s was at the factory - it wont hurt quite so much if I have to bin the Phillips after 6 months.  

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #217 of 1,072
Quote:
After using these solidly for the last two weeks, the biggest compliment I can give them is that I have been able to forget all about the earphones and just listen to music - end of the day, that's what we are looking for with any kit. I agree with several posters re the cable, but I have been able to live with the stock tips - no doubt better tips will give you a better fit but that hasnt been an issue for me. I did play with EasyEQ but I dont pretend that I have found the 'ideal' settings - I quickly tired of messing around with pink noise - but its there if I want to revisit that later. 

What I find encouraging about these cheapies isnt that they are a replacement for a more expensive headphone - its that they are so readily available in brick-and-mortar stores all over Oz. This is the kind of IEM you can happily throw in a backpack without stressing over the prospect of losing/damaging your $300+ earphones. If you can get them for under 10 bucks online, my advice is to consider buying a couple of pairs and just keep one in a draw for the day your 'disposable' IEMs inevitably self-destruct. Save the good phones for listening at home - win-win.

Of course, if Phillips can build something this capable for so little money, I have to question exactly what the unit cost of my $100 RE0s was at the factory - it wont hurt quite so much if I have to bin the Phillips after 6 months.  

Ha.  I got my first pair of SHE3580, used them for like 6 months, sent my expensive-phones in for repair, got them back, then had to bin them again after a month.  The first pair of SHE3580 kept on trucking until I lost them.  They are probably still sitting somewhere in my house in perfect working condition, waiting for me to find them again.  In the meantime I've bought like 5 more pairs of them, even if they break down as often as my expensive-phones did (which they don't
evil_smiley.gif
) they'll last me 5 times longer
etysmile.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #218 of 1,072
I used mine on the airplane last week and actually prefer the stock sound over EQ sound.  The boosted bass and treble was actually a very good combo to break through the background noise.  My RE0s sounds like an AM radio on the plane.  The bass really gets lost in background noise.

Oh and estreeter thanks for coming back to the thread.  I thought we may have been a little rough on you.  I appologize!  I'm glad you see the benefit to owning some of these cheapies that sound pretty good.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #219 of 1,072
Oh that's right, you're the same guy we had an argument with last week!  Well welcome back and welcome!
etysmile.gif

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #220 of 1,072
No problems Joe - happy to be able to add my recommendation to the thousand or so here ! I apologize if my initial posts seemed a little strident, but some of the more extreme responses to your initial post were more than a little OTT. I guess that's Head-Fi and we are all looking for the silver bullet that doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

Just going back to my AD900s after 2 weeks with the IEMs and its tough - still fantastic cans, but I feel as though I just stepped out of a lunar module to a galaxy-sized view of planet earth. For those considering the Phillips, I suggest sticking with them for at least a week and not switching from one headphone to the next - common sense, but its amazing how many of us cant leave well enough alone.  
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #221 of 1,072
" - still fantastic cans, but I feel as though I just stepped out of a lunar module to a galaxy-sized view of planet earth."

That's how I feel too when I leave the EQ on my SHE3580 off for a couple of minutes and turn it back on though :wink:

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #222 of 1,072
Thats what I feel after taking off any cans and listening to my home stereo!   Then again I'm alway blown away by how good my Fuze/KSC-75 combo playing FLAC files.  I'm at work though, so maybe that has something to do with it.  At home, with a good beer and my home stereo - that's my prefered musical state!

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #223 of 1,072
Except they are the 3580 and 3570... not 3850 and 3750

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #224 of 1,072
sadly i dont use my pc for music . just for downloading . if you can help to port those eqs to my j3 i will be happy , then i will not have to carry my colorfly .

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #225 of 1,072
I just wanted to give the OP a big thumbs up for starting this thread. I got a pair of the 3581 (white/gray) last week after reading this thread and love em to death! To keep the peace at home, I got my wife a purple/teal pair
rolleyes.gif
  Although they do take very well to EQ, like to use them as IEMs at church. These sound awesome in that setting. With a pair of complys, I get enough isolation and a much better sound for my instrument, bass, than my current IEMs....the legendary CK10s! (I know, bass quantity isn't exactly the CK10s forte, but it has incredibly accurate and punchy bass)

So thanks for the heads-up
basshead.gif

By any chance, has anyone tried the SHE-7000 or SHE-9000 in comparison to the 3580s? I love the 3580s, but a better cable and angled jack would be icing on the cake for me.

BTW, is anyone looking for a used pair of CK10s?
ph34r.gif
  ....(sacrilege, I know)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back