Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
May 4, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #828 of 1,072
Had these for a couple of months now and I'm pretty stunned at how good they are for the small price of like $10 shipped.

Pros: sub bass is awesome on these. Absolutely tremendous clarity way better than my Shure SE-215 and almost on par with my XBA-3. Resolution is good and it's just a very fun IEM to listen to. Extremely comfortable

Cons: feel and look very cheap :frowning2: soundstage and imagining kinda suck. Wish there was more midbass to warm up the vocals as voices sound a little nasally due to the treble prominence so it sounds a bit unnatural but this helps with clarity. Not very detailed and sound congested. But I might just be used to the richness of the Shures.

All in all this is my second favorite budget IEM(quadbeats I like a little more) and have some Pistons on the way to compare.

All in all part deux: with a better cable and more durable materials I'd easily pay the $100 I paid for the shures for these.

May 4, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #829 of 1,072
I tried these again with the Viper4Android app and the DDC profile, and the sound improves nicely, BUT, i think that saying they are worth $100 is just too much. They are good, but even EQ´ed my Brainwavz M3 are still better in everything. I still like them a lot.

May 25, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #833 of 1,072
Had these for a couple of months now and I'm pretty stunned at how good they are for the small price of like $10 shipped.

Pros: sub bass is awesome on these. Absolutely tremendous clarity way better than my Shure SE-215 and almost on par with my XBA-3. Resolution is good and it's just a very fun IEM to listen to. Extremely comfortable

Cons: feel and look very cheap
frown.gif
soundstage and imagining kinda suck. Wish there was more midbass to warm up the vocals as voices sound a little nasally due to the treble prominence so it sounds a bit unnatural but this helps with clarity. Not very detailed and sound congested. But I might just be used to the richness of the Shures.

All in all this is my second favorite budget IEM(quadbeats I like a little more) and have some Pistons on the way to compare.

All in all part deux: with a better cable and more durable materials I'd easily pay the $100 I paid for the shures for these.

what's your findings? How's SHE3580 compared to Pistons?

May 25, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #834 of 1,072

3580/90 has bigger subbass and recessed mids compared to Pistons. Pistons has more bass and treble extentions.

May 25, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #835 of 1,072

I like the Philips a lot more. It's just more unique of a signature where it has huge sub bass with way less mid bass that leaves the mid range clear albeit recessed and a sparkly never harsh treble. That's hard to find at any price. The Piston is more conventional with a more colored sound that's still very fun to listen to but doesn't sound as extended as the Philips and yet is still a little harsh up top. Mids sound veiled and not as natural sounding. I love the build quality though and it also looks a lot better, I got the IF version. Plus the Philips is 1/3rd the price and more easily accessible without having to wait for weeks from overseas. Philips is also way more comfortable, in fact they are my sleeping IEM. Try that with the pistons and your ear might cut in half.

May 25, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #837 of 1,072
Hi everyone! This is my first post, though I've often gleaned info from this site while choosing headphones.

I just picked up a pair of the SHE3590s yesterday for the cool price of $5.48. I'm not hearing the clarity that people are talking about though. They sound quite bassy to me. I experimented with the different tips (settling on the small ones), I used Joe Bloggs' EQ as a guide and set them up to my liking, and while they sound OK, they can't come close to my wife's Klipsch Image s4i's, though for being 5% of the price, I shouldn't exactly expect that, I suppose :).

I noticed something glove4 posted on the other page:

Quote:
On Amazon it says these have been discontinued, but the Target near me just got more of the 3590 in stock with packaging that says "Extra Bass" which is new. So are these discontinued or not? Have they altered the sound or just the packaging?

The version I bought are Japanese but they, like the ones glove4 saw, mention bass prominently on the label. Has anyone bought the Extra Bass SHE3590's and compared? Are the good days of the 3590's finished since they've all been replaced with these muddled bassy versions? Or am I just expecting too much out of a $5 pair of IEMs?

Edit: The UPC label says SHE3590BK/98 if that means anything.

May 25, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #839 of 1,072
The version I bought are Japanese but they, like the ones glove4 saw, mention bass prominently on the label. Has anyone bought the Extra Bass SHE3590's and compared? Are the good days of the 3590's finished since they've all been replaced with these muddled bassy versions? Or am I just expecting too much out of a $5 pair of IEMs?

Edit: The UPC label says SHE3590BK/98 if that means anything.

I actually got a second pair recently (still have my original pair as well, so i can verify u need burn in on them) but first try different ear tips ( i use to use the smalls and they really become overly bassy try the mediums while wearing them over ear to start)

Now i use a more bigger opening/apeture ear tip, i think this opens up the sound , tones down some of the bass, opening the the treble a bit, seems to sound more extended than with the more narrow tips i find (which warms up the sound, i dont think these needs help with that). Mids are recessed but at lower volumes its not as obvious, female vocals sound great still because if the lower treble prominence. I find it sounds better than male.

And yes i found them to sound better than the s4 (which i owned previously and sold) and i would say on par or close with the monster turbines. It has a faster bass, more extended treble a bit less smooth up there though.

Plus im now rockin them in pink :) (last pair available in store but i dont mind i like the change up in colour

May 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #840 of 1,072
Burn them in. These are better than the Klipsh IMO. But yes they are bassy

Thanks, I'll do that before I make up my mind about them. My eq might need some more tweaking as well, but since I tapered down some of the treble I'm liking the smoother sound I'm getting out of them.

Edit:
I actually got a second pair recently (still have my original pair as well, so i can verify u need burn in on them) but first try different ear tips ( i use to use the smalls and they really become overly bassy try the mediums while wearing them over ear to start)

Now i use a more bigger opening/apeture ear tip, i think this opens up the sound , tones down some of the bass, opening the the treble a bit, seems to sound more extended than with the more narrow tips i find (which warms up the sound, i dont think these needs help with that). Mids are recessed but at lower volumes its not as obvious, female vocals sound great still because if the lower treble prominence. I find it sounds better than male.

And yes i found them to sound better than the s4 (which i owned previously and sold) and i would say on par or close with the monster turbines. It has a faster bass, more extended treble a bit less smooth up there though.

Plus im now rockin them in pink
smily_headphones1.gif
(last pair available in store but i dont mind i like the change up in colour

After I burn them in and if I still am not totally happy with them, I'll try the different tips. I'm glad to hear I didn't get a different version. Honestly, I'm probably going to pick up a couple more pairs either way, since I'm still liking the sound and it looks like they might be discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back