Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Jan 26, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #796 of 1,072
I thought the metal mesh covering the Philips earbuds opening was interesting.
I recently accidentally took off the fiber / material type covering Sony uses on on my Sony earbuds (they all use that same material of sorts i think)
And i did not realize that past the material on the Sony earbuds was nothing at all but an empty tube leading to the back of the earbud where the speaker is
Basically i think Sony glues on those little round covers to affect the sound and protect from dirt getting inside. Also worth pointing out how the older Sony's i have
have multiple vent holes vs what seems to be 1 or 2 on newer models. At first i thought both the cheapo Philips and Sony earbuds had the same vent holes but they don't
If you look super closely Sony put a small hole where they are on the Philips buds but also added larger holes on the bottom outside too.
And rather than a round shape like any Sony etc i have used the Philips i got have an oval shaped opening.
All of what i just said has to affect sound quality i think and like i said the mesh on Philips had me intrigued mostly because of the metal material they chose (not the shape)
I ended up leaving the material cover of the Sony bud opening's that i accidentally tore off while cleaning with damp que-tips and they sounded good still.

For testing i mentioned Carcass because the album has busy mid / highs and is not very bassy and it made my point.. the weird sound i was hearing was pronounced on that album.
I did testing with other stuff such as a remix track "The Dillinger Escape Plan" - One Of Us Is The Killer (Easy Girl Remix) ..which is a bass fest lol

I mention all this because some people may want to do some modding experiments ? what would they sound like with no metal mesh covers or cloth ones ? or more / less vent holes ?

I do know, i don't like how both have a round style to the earbuds plastic housing, i find it tricky to hold on to and position compared to what i am used to.

Quality wise i have come from prob 7/8 years of Sony earbuds one after another and i find them sort of similar sounding
and i think it's safe to say you get used to hearing things certain way so other kinds are like a rude awakening to me sort of.
not that any one is bad or good but for sure different sounding. and that is with out getting into stuff like peoples EQ setting preferences etc
I like bassier sound even though any Rock preset i heard for an EQ sucked, i don't like any presets ever, i always do a custom EQ if at all..

What do think about the metal mesh on the opening on the Philips ?

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #797 of 1,072
...or more / less vent holes ?

Hold up. This thing has vent holes? I can't find any on mine. You think that's why it sounds bass-light?

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #798 of 1,072

Hold up. This thing has vent holes? I can't find any on mine. You think that's why it sounds bass-light?

If you take the ear sleeves off you'll find a small hole next to the nozzle on each earpiece. From my experiments covering them did not seem to have any effect on the sound other than introducing driver flex...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 28, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #799 of 1,072

Im assuming ur statement is from previous experince with the monoprice 8320? That iem seems to have a bassboost with the covered vent. But not all iems. And yheses guys dont lack bass!! Maybe some midbass if anyhing but if we are talking subbass it has it in spades

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #800 of 1,072
Im assuming ur statement is from previous experince with the monoprice 8320? That iem seems to have a bassboost with the covered vent. But not all iems. And yheses guys dont lack bass!! Maybe some midbass if anyhing but if we are talking subbass it has it in spades

No, I meant the SHE3590s. My new pair seems bass-light, especially the mid-bass, even after some burn in. I'm using the same tips I used on my old pair (last used about half a year ago), so I don't think it's a fit issue. I was wondering if this should have vents, because I don't see any, not even in the side of the nozzle.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #801 of 1,072

No, I meant the SHE3590s. My new pair seems bass-light, especially the mid-bass, even after some burn in. I'm using the same tips I used on my old pair (last used about half a year ago), so I don't think it's a fit issue. I was wondering if this should have vents, because I don't see any, not even in the side of the nozzle.

i wouldn't be surprised this is a low cost item, so maybe quality control is not as stringent. oh well we'll just have to reap the benefits =) buying 2 is still cheaper than buying other iems haha

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #803 of 1,072
Just bought a pair for myself for 6,45€. Already had given a set for my younger brother and another for my girlfriend. These might very well replace my RE0 for using outdoors.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #805 of 1,072
That's exactly my point. I want to keep my RE0 in the long run, as the newcomer RE400 doesn't possess the same sound signature. Also, I found the sound on the she 3590 quite fun, with plenty of bass that won't bleed into the mids and nice highs. A lot of bang for buck I think.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #806 of 1,072
That's exactly my point. I want to keep my RE0 in the long run, as the newcomer RE400 doesn't possess the same sound signature. Also, I found the sound on the she 3590 quite fun, with plenty of bass that won't bleed into the mids and nice highs. A lot of bang for buck I think.

definitely and a different sound signature that works on the go, a little bass when outdoors does wonders, i find very neutral sound signature doesn't work well portably unless they are etys that seal that that well

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #807 of 1,072
  definitely and a different sound signature that works on the go, a little bass when outdoors does wonders, i find very neutral sound signature doesn't work well portably unless they are etys that seal that that well

Exactly! With the outside noise the bass becomes very thin (and it's already a bass light IEM to start with), and the bass on the SHE3590 won't sound drown out nearly as much.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #808 of 1,072
There are times on walks I prefer to go the complete opposite route, grab the akg k318 which has no bass, and listen to something like Tom Petty.  Lets me hear cars and such better.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #809 of 1,072
Just was in one of those adventurous moods to see if a $10 pair of SHE3590's could replace my Sennheiser MX580's for use at the gym with my Sansa Clip +. After about an hour, I'm pretty damn impressed. I put Comply T500 tips on them from my Triple-fi's for fit. The Clip+ is running the Rockbox firmware and I've tweaked the settings a bit, but boy, when they said extra bass on the box, they weren't kidding.....and it's not sloppy like it is on the Sennheiser's CX400's. I mean you just have to remind yourself that you got them for less than $10 and if you've got the right seal and use something like the Rockbox firmware with them to adjust the sound, you've got yourself a bargain. I'd say easily worth 5 times for what I paid.

Thanks to Joe Bloggs for selling me on the Philips with this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back