Philips SHE3580 IEM review--how can something sound so good for $10???
Mar 27, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #61 of 1,072

Quote:
I see, have you tried converting it into the ER-4S?

I found the 4P too bass shy and / or too shrill in the treble.  There's a big treble peak I was EQing out before they broke

(that's the inverse of my EQ settings, ie their deviations in frequency response from my ideal; red is SHE3580, black is ER-4P)

I doubt such a minor tweak as the 4P-4S conversion (which I hear emphasizes the treble even more anyway) would have helped.

As you can see, objectively the 4P looks closer to my ideal than the SHE3580, but not close enough to sound much good without EQ and that meant they were equally useless in non-EQable applications.  Since then I've strived to expand the scope of EQable applications and now with VAC+VSTHost everything on the computer (including YouTube and stuff like Spotify) can pass through Electri-Q.  I'm still looking for something that will sound good on my phone when using anything other than PowerAMP though... (again, stuff like music streaming services)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 27, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #62 of 1,072
Well, I took the chance and purchased a pair, lets see if these live up to the fame for me.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #63 of 1,072

Quote:
I found the 4P too bass shy and / or too shrill in the treble.  There's a big treble peak I was EQing out before they broke

(that's the inverse of my EQ settings, ie their deviations in frequency response from my ideal; red is SHE3580, black is ER-4P)

I doubt such a minor tweak as the 4P-4S conversion (which I hear emphasizes the treble even more anyway) would have helped.

As you can see, objectively the 4P looks closer to my ideal than the SHE3580, but not close enough to sound much good without EQ and that meant they were equally useless in non-EQable applications.  Since then I've strived to expand the scope of EQable applications and now with VAC+VSTHost everything on the computer (including YouTube and stuff like Spotify) can pass through Electri-Q.  I'm still looking for something that will sound good on my phone when using anything other than PowerAMP though... (again, stuff like music streaming services)

O_O I see, kinda like clean bass and a brighter overall signature ^^. I guess the ER-4 are too "boring" compared to these which should be more fun. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #64 of 1,072
If anyone has heard the klipsch S4I and this can you tell me which is better?

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #69 of 1,072

Quote:
Wow! That's cool!

Whenever it is raining, they are the earphones I use and I don't really find them wanting. I listen to them using my Note.

They also serve a purpose for me at home since they are used to burn in my new amps over night! 

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #70 of 1,072
Can anyone tell me the difference between the 3570,3575 and 3580?

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #71 of 1,072
No idea about the 3570--people have got the 3570 instead of the 3580 and seem to describe them similarly.

One person has got both the 3575 and 3580 and describes the 3575 as less bassy with brighter treble.

I've got both the SHH3580 (another version of SHE3580 with mic) and SHE3580, and the SHH3580 has both less bass and less treble.  More balanced than the SHE3580, if not exactly "mid-forward", since I found the SHE3580 quite V-shaped to start with.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #72 of 1,072
Is there any bass spill into the mid-range frequencies making them sound veiled/muddy?

How do these compare to other higher priced IEMs.  The IE8 and the ER-4P have been mentioned.  How about others?

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #73 of 1,072

Quote:
Is there any bass spill into the mid-range frequencies making them sound veiled/muddy?

How do these compare to other higher priced IEMs.  The IE8 and the ER-4P have been mentioned.  How about others?

Nope, there isn't, for me, it lacks some mid bass compared to my IE8. They have however more subbass than my IE8

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #74 of 1,072
Got the SHE3580, and after 2 days burn-in and now 2 days of listening, I'm convinced I have a badly wired set.  There is an imbalance with more treble and clarity in the left channel (and I have a 25% hearing loss in the left ear!), and more bass and boom in the right channel.  It makes for an odd listening experience, and I can correct it mostly by breaking the seal some on the right ear, which pushes the overall balance slightly a bit more to the left, but more cohesive sounding than before.  For only $10, I may just buy another set to try -- these were from a "down-the-list" US Amazon seller.

Given the above, here's my take on the SHE-3580:  similar sound to the Monoprice 8320, but the 8320 seems a wider sound, with a bit more clarity.  Can't decide which has better bass, because I can feel good depth from both, but just not the level of detail I'm used to with the Ety ER-4P.

Now to me, the comparisons of the 3580 to the ER-4P are a bit humorous, probably because to my ears and brain the ER-4P sound is definitive.  While I can appreciate the funner sound of the 3580, the sheer level of detail and clarity coming from the ER-4P makes it the clear winner to me.  But if I didn't have the ER-4P already, and sure if I wanted to spend $200-ish on a high quality IEM, I could see myself buying 3-4 pair of the 3580 (assuming equality of sound across all copies) to keep in the several places I listen to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back