Philips O'Neill Stretch Over-Ear Headphones Question
Jun 23, 2011 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

21tman21

New Head-Fier
I wonder what the difference is between the 
[size=1.7em] Philips O'Neill SHO9560/28 Over-Ear Headphones and the Philips O'Neill SHO9561/28 Over-Ear Headphones.[/size]
[size=1.7em] The Philips O'Neill SHO9561/28 Over-Ear Headphones are at Best Buy for $79, but the Philips O'Neill SHO9560/28 Over-Ear Headphones are on amazon for $44. Is there any difference? Thanks[/size]

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 15
They both are horrible.

Get a pair of Shure SRH240, $40

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 15
yea unless you are buying them because they are durable then fine, but for sound they are terrible.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 15
Sony xb500

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 15
I tried these out at a BB once and yeah they sound pretty poopy, but they are remarkably comfortable and seem pretty durable.  You can snag a used (like new) set from amazon here for around 23 bucks shipped.  Not a bad proposition by any means for the money.  Wouldn't pay much more than that though - should work pretty well as beater/gym headphones.

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
the XB700 are $80... xb700>xb500... but sony v6 is better and $15 cheaper 

+1 for V6

but check out Koss DJ100

They are really nice headphone also. If you want portable, get the Koss, if you want studio, get MDR-V6

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 15
Even though this thread is probably irrelevant now, I'm chiming in with a pair. Call me deaf, but for the $23 I paid for them, they're pretty good for a pair of portable headphones. The pads are designed to be treble/mid sponges though. The back of the pads is basically open. The backing is just mesh, and the driver is covered with a thick stretchy fabric, akin to book covers. New pads and speaker cloth is in order.

A legitimate review should be up by the end of the week, but to the people saying they're horrible, what sources did you use? They don't take too kindly to warm sources, but out of my EMU, they're decent. Bass isn't as one noted and flabby compared to most other closed headphones around $80, the tone is surprisingly good, but they certainly carry a V shaped sound. I'd probably pay $50 for them and feel good about it because they seem to be pretty durable. At $80, it's a bit of a rip off though if you consider the other choices in the price range.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 15
I was quite surprised by the Philips Stretch when i laid ears on them, Very nice 'open' sound from these closed portable with good balance along the spectrum, Bass is a bit lean yet tight and punchy, Mid-high levels are a bit DT880'esque laid-back with a dryish tone and the soundstage is remarkably wide for a this type of phones as the drivers are angled. Also the fit was superb, They really are meant for field usage and i felt they would stay on my head no matter what exersize i did. Not a lot of room in the cups though, it's better to test them beforehand. 
I really liked them (got them for a review) and in comparison to the V-moda LP blingies it was a total knockout for the Stretch.

Pics i took for the review

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 15
I guess I'm not insane for thinking they're decent, even though we have differing opinions about the bass and SS. Maybe I'm expecting too much or thinking the mushiness of the bass bleeds a tiny bit into the mids which leads me to think they're a bit tipped up (and since the rest of my headphones are bass light, even something like this is bassy). Thanks for the impressions!

Review: http://headfonics.com/2011/06/philipsoneill-the-stretch-totally-chill-brah/

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #14 of 15

found this thread late so pardon me bumping it, but i'm pretty sure a lot of head-fiers just see a name and immediately write it off, same as skullcandy even though aviators are not as bad as they're made out to be.
Quote:
Even though this thread is probably irrelevant now, I'm chiming in with a pair. Call me deaf, but for the $23 I paid for them, they're pretty good for a pair of portable headphones. The pads are designed to be treble/mid sponges though. The back of the pads is basically open. The backing is just mesh, and the driver is covered with a thick stretchy fabric, akin to book covers. New pads and speaker cloth is in order.

A legitimate review should be up by the end of the week, but to the people saying they're horrible, what sources did you use? They don't take too kindly to warm sources, but out of my EMU, they're decent. Bass isn't as one noted and flabby compared to most other closed headphones around $80, the tone is surprisingly good, but they certainly carry a V shaped sound. I'd probably pay $50 for them and feel good about it because they seem to be pretty durable. At $80, it's a bit of a rip off though if you consider the other choices in the price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back