Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 27, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #901 of 1,964
Sep 27, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #902 of 1,964
Interesting replies. And the HD560S, it's not almost equal to the older HD5xx? According to the DIY website, there should be no ssssibilance which is a good thing.

The HD560S has a new driver. Compared to HD58X, bigger sound stage. More treble emphasis. Better bass extension. And there are hints the resolution might be better, but I'd wait for more comparisons before assuming that.

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #903 of 1,964
Sep 27, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #904 of 1,964
Prices of the X3 is starting to decrease lol. What about in other countries? Still the same?

Sep 27, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #906 of 1,964
Only 3 places here all RRP
So far only 3 stores are selling the X3, one at full price, 2nd is 20% discount for one day which is today and last it's decreasing each day but it will probably go up once it reaches €207 lol. I'll wait, I am patient.

I'd like to ask you all something. Does it differ from day to day where you are sensitive to sssibilance? One day it's all fine and next day it's painfull?
So far two days no painfully sss. Mink confirmed what I suspected first: physical state and or mood are a big influence too. My ears sucks.

Sep 27, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #907 of 1,964
So far only 3 stores are selling the X3, one at full price, 2nd is 20% discount for one day which is today and last it's decreasing each day but it will probably go up once it reaches €207 lol. I'll wait, I am patient.

I'd like to ask you all something. Does it differ from day to day where you are sensitive to sssibilance? One day it's all fine and next day it's painfull?
So far two days no painfully sss. Mink confirmed what I suspected first: physical state and or mood are a big influence too. My ears sucks.

You know you could be onto something. It does seem that day to day my tolerance to sibilance changes. It could be because of stress, ambient noise, etc. I don't know know enough about it to give any real conclusion but it's not something I read about much if ever.

When I say changes though it's not large swings, probably a dB or two, maybe three?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #908 of 1,964
You know you could be onto something. It does seem that day to day my tolerance to sibilance changes. It could be because of stress, ambient noise, etc. I don't know know enough about it to give any real conclusion but it's not something I read about much if ever.

When I say changes though it's not large swings, probably a dB or two, maybe three?
It's indeed not something we read about it much. Although it's pretty interesting.

Sep 27, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #909 of 1,964
My tolerance for sibilance (and boosted treble in general) is worse at night. So is my tinnitus. Probably because I’ve been up all day, working, more stress, brain and senses on overload and need a rest; who knows.

I definitely prefer to listen at much lower volume at night too.

Like @CTR640 said, it’s not something that is recognized or discussed a whole lot.

Sep 27, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #910 of 1,964
My tolerance for sibilance (and boosted treble in general) is worse at night. So is my tinnitus. Probably because I’ve been up all day, working, more stress, brain and senses on overload and need a rest; who knows.

Like @CTR640 said, it’s not something that is recognized or discussed a whole lot.
I can totally relate to that. And sometimes it's like rattling plates, can't really describe it because not native English.
So far haven't been stressed the past two days and haven't used any EQ for a week or so. It's something to bear in mind. Lowering the volume is indeed the best solution.

Also important to note: it's not restricted to age.

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #911 of 1,964

Just to complicate things further, here's a theory.
If you think of the cillia in the ears as tiny quasi " hairs "; then picture long blades of grass in an open field with a strong breeze, the blades of grass are bent by the breeze.
If the analogy holds true , sounds impinging on the cillia will bend them.
After sleeping the cillia will be erect again. As the day progresses, more sounds impinge them and they become more bent, like the breeze in a field getting stronger, and become less receptive or sensitive.

This is what I experience, I'm more sensitive in the day to treble. Less sensitive at night because , ( if my hypothesis is right ) the cillia are still bent by the daytime impingements of sound.When I get up next day they're erect again, and as the day progresses they become more bent, less receptive or sensitive.
Your experience is the exact opposite. You're more sensitive at night, I'm more sensitive earlier in the day.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #912 of 1,964
In some cases it doesn't appear to be frequency related, but rather the whole sound is perceived as 'harder' sounding. But to be fair, I rarely get this with the NightBirds and HD650s, so the frequency response must be a cause. And not every recording is mastered that well.
I used to think it is related with the digital format, because when Mink was a youngster he exclusively listened to tapes and vinyl and never perceived sound as 'hard' or 'glassy'.
But the system I had back then was lo-fi, very bassy with little highs. I had to use the tone controls, to turn the treble completely open to get some brightness, so poor and worn out the cassette tapes were. And it turns out that vinyl can sound 'hard' as well, it is the mastering that counts.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #913 of 1,964
Just to complicate things further, here's a theory.
If you think of the cillia in the ears as tiny quasi " hairs "; then picture long blades of grass in an open field with a strong breeze, the blades of grass are bent by the breeze.
If the analogy holds true , sounds impinging on the cillia will bend them.
After sleeping the cillia will be erect again. As the day progresses, more sounds impinge them and they become more bent, like the breeze in a field getting stronger, and become less receptive or sensitive.

This is what I experience, I'm more sensitive in the day to treble. Less sensitive at night because , ( if my hypothesis is right ) the cillia are still bent by the daytime impingements of sound.When I get up next day they're erect again, and as the day progresses they become more bent, less receptive or sensitive.
Your experience is the exact opposite. You're more sensitive at night, I'm more sensitive earlier in the day.
This applies to me as well, in most cases. In the evening the sound generally gets smoother..

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #914 of 1,964

This applies to me as well, in most cases. In the evening the sound generally gets smoother..

I work at night, so that probably explains the opposite difference.

Sep 27, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #915 of 1,964
Personally, I never perceive any more harshness in sound no matter my mood. Though I am always kind of chill.
Only thing I notice is that in the morning, when the whole night was quiet, I will perceive everything as louder, so I use lower volumes to still have a louder sound but thats it and that normal cause you know the ear adapts to loudness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back