Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 28, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #916 of 1,964
This is a very interesting hypothesis. Increased sensitivity to sharp sounds, which sibilance is, could be definitely either due to tiredness (when we're more sensitive to mental stimulants in general) or alert (listening critically, etc.).

I got to say my experience mirrors that. There are days when I love the overall sound of a more treble focused headphone, though they're less common than the days I would dislike that headphone for sibilant reasons.

There are also obviously other factors such as how much your gear attenuates said harshness or the mastering of a given piece of music but in general that is the region we're most sensitive too.

Like many here, I am watching both this and the 560S thread and from what I've gathered so far, the 560S is closer to a more extended, spacious 6xx series headphone while the X3 is more of a better behaved X2. Nothing wrong with either, but having owned the X2 and listened to the Senns, I am more likely inclined to enjoy the Senns long term, much like I do smoother, balanced headphones compared to initially exciting sounding but long term disappointing headphones.

They're also cheaper

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #917 of 1,964
I thought it was true for everybody. My mood and state of alertness definitely has an effect on how I hear and enjoy music.

Sep 28, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #918 of 1,964
A final note about the comfort levels of both the X2HRs and X3s. I find the X2HRs to be more comfortable, they have less of a clamp and the difference in weight (X2s are heavier) I don't mind, it even seems I prefer the bigger weight over the lighter weight of the X3s. The X3s sit tighter and a bit too high on my ears when I let them self adjust. I need to pull the cups a bit down. Not an issue, but it beats the purpose of a self-adjust system.
Fit and finish: both look and feel solid, neither of them look and feel really 'premium'. The X3s may have a luxurious look, but the lighter weight and how they rest on my head feels otherwise. Good, but not excellent. The X2HRs look and feel more solid. They sure are cooler looking, a retro Grado chique. But the 'sweat cloth' material of the headband gives it a cheap sports apparal store vibe.

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #920 of 1,964
Wow, just wow.
I am lost for words LOL
I do own and love bass heavy headphones: Sony MDR-Z7 and AudioQuest NightHawk, yet I don't feel the X3s lack bass or warmth at all. Not even in direct comparison.
I don't like bright treble and sibilance, hence I love my NightHawks and HD650s and barely listen to my Denon D5000s anymore, yet I don't find the X3s to be sibilant at all.
Did I got a different pair of X3s than all the Youtube reviewers out there?
How hard I try to dislike the X3s, to agree with the negative reviews - I didn't pay the full retail price so I have no problems to disregard them and sell them or give them away - I just can't. I vehemently disagree with Josh's review. :)

Sep 29, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #921 of 1,964
Welp, there are 7+ billions of irritating human beings on this (doomed) planet and each got their own opinions and tastes ^^

And Mink, who knows you have a special snowflake of the X3 or your ears doesn't suck or both 🤣 If you like the X3, then keep liking it! :p
Let the force of the X3 flow through your veins and surrender to it, accept it.

Youtube reviews should not be taken seriously and they definitely should not be influencing your purchases or plans on to purchase them.

Sep 29, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #922 of 1,964
Youtube reviews should not be taken seriously and they definitely should not be influencing your purchases or plans on to purchase them.

Especially shills like **** ******.

Sep 29, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #923 of 1,964
Especially shills like **** ******.
Censorship on the names you tried to write? :p But I think I get ya.
Youtuber videos are only fine for unboxing for what to expect and also good to know on how to open the box as some manufacturers do have nice boxes. Other than that, no.

It's clear the X3 do have mixed reviews and opinions (which product doesn't?) so one of the options is to wait for discount and buy it or try it if allowed.

Sep 29, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #924 of 1,964
Censorship on the names you tried to write? :p But I think I get ya.
Youtuber videos are only fine for unboxing for what to expect and also good to know on how to open the box as some manufacturers do have nice boxes. Other than that, no.

Count the letters, I’m sure you can figure it out :)

Sep 29, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #925 of 1,964
Did anyone already check how much of a difference balanced does? I was considering upgrading to the Schiit Magnius just for the X3, but not only do all the reviews and general emotions regarding them seem pretty underwhelming, the few reviewers mentioning balanced didn't get any huge Wow-Effect either.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #927 of 1,964
I think I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but yes I can confirm that the X3s can be peaky with speech and this review is evidence to that. But to be fair, only my HD650s render the ssss's in this video tolerable. The X2Hrs and D5000s are the most aggressive of the bunch. And this video is one of very few Youtube commentator/reviews videos that shows the nasty side of the X3s

I have put the X3s to the test, tuning in on crappy digital radio stations with low bitrate, playing them louder than I would normally listen to and I really find no problems. In fact they have little to no grain in their sound.
And I still stand by earliest impressions that they are HD650s alike, with better soundstage, but a bit brighter higs. Excellent for classical music.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #928 of 1,964
I have now listened to my X3s for about 10-15 hours since I got the Dragonfly Cobalt. I still enjoy them very much. Well most of the time.
IMO, they can be a little light on the bass side when playing certain types of music. Especially when playing some AOR/melodic rock, that's often is produced quite "thin" sounding. (I'm 50, so I have to sometimes listen to my 80s heroes :) ) The low "rumble" (sub bass) you find in Rap/Hip hop music are also something I find lacking a little bit too.
When listening to a freq sweep vid on Youtube, they are not starting to really "move" before about 35-40hz and up. Playing those Bass test tracks on YT, also proves that these cans are not for bassheads. You have to turn the volume up quite high to get them going...(and then the highs are almost too high... I was not sure I dared to write bright.. :) )
And I've mentioned "no sibilance" before, but on some tracks they actually are a little sibilant. Especially at a fairly high volume.
As I've said, they are paired with a Cobalt. Maybe it's not the ideal match I was hoping for? I chose the Cobalt because of its convenience/area of use and also price. (paid €250 for the X3, and €208 for Cobalt.)
To be fair, I don't have any comparable equipment. (Sony WH-1000XM3, Senn' MTW2, Lypertek Tevi, Oneplus Bullets Wireless 2, Apple Airpods Pro :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, so just BT sets)
I was soon to write I found them a little bit thin sounding, a little bright and sometimes sibilant with certain type of music.
I know I called them sensational with some songs as well, but that was with sensational recordings like the mentioned Melody Gardot/Sting track.
Since I'm a noob with audiophile equipment, I've been subtle with both my "reviews" and also the EQ I use :wink:
A little afraid to say the wrong things amongst you experts, both with sound terms, burn-in etc...

But after I've been listening many hours to my X3s, and reading those YT reviews etc, it seems that my experiences wasn't that far off anyway.
With modern pop/rock/electronica/r&b/hiphop/folk/country, they ARE too light bass wise and no doubt, they are too sibiliant with this kind of music genres.

I have played more with the APO/Peace EQ, and after I watched the freq. response measurements, I tried to "correct" the peaks and dips.
They sound MUCH better with the mentioned genres when using this setup:
Bilde_2020-09-30_132540.png

It's almost like when "correcting" the dips they have at about 2k/3k (DMS mentioned this in his review), the sibilance gets less noticable. But I still have to decrease the 8k a little.
When adjusting the sub-bass area, you hear that the drivers DO have bass. Clean, punchy deep bass. Those 5-7db really do make them sound different.

BUT, I don't know if I will keep headphones I need to EQ? With my use they will only be good enough with my HTPC where I have the APO/Peace EQ.
Edit2: I don't get to use the MQA with Tidal Hifi either, when having to use the APO EQ. :slight_frown:

Again, please forgive my noob skills. :) Also remember I'm Norwegian, so not always easy to explain everything in English...

Edit: Notice I turned off the filters compared to earlier settings, and now use the "graphic equalization".

Edit3: YMMV :) (I guess that's mandatory to write...)

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #929 of 1,964
I remember the crap show that was Fidelio X2's QC issues. There was a huge controversy with the X2's production changing factories and that in order to fix an earpad attachment issue they decided to use glue and not telling people about it. There was a whole fiasco about looking at the headphone box label to tell which factory it came from. I had my own issues with X2's ordering them from Amazon and never finding a pair worth keeping due to finding quality control issues (either there was loose leather, the earpads had signs of glue, there was clicking noise with the suspension strap). Now with the X3's coming at an even higher price point I hope everything actually improved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back