Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 26, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #886 of 1,965
Which frequencies are the sss sibilance? I thought 8khz?

Generally it is most severe between 6k and 8k, but as it was posted above it can occur at other frequencies. It depends on the individual ear anatomy, the microphone used, the mastering and recording, etc. In my experience, it seems that many people are sensitive right at 7k. But again, it’s different with everyone.

I remember a few years ago, Krogers grocery stores had a ridiculously sibilant microphone that they were recording all of their Pandora commercials for. It was annoying AF. I wanted to call up whoever was doing their voiceovers or marketing and tell them to throw that microphone off of a cliff!

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #887 of 1,965
It's a wide range like 5-10k or something. It effects all people differently I think.
According to the chart at DIY audio heaven; sibilance and or edginess would fall between 3khz to 6khz with the most emphatic frequency at 5khz

Sharp or piercing would be fall between 7khz to 10khz with the most emphatic frequency at 8.5khz.

So 5khz to 10 kHz would cover it pretty good.
I agree it will depend on the individual as to how one perceives peaks or elevations in that range.

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #888 of 1,965
I decreased the 8khz by -13dB, probably not good?

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #891 of 1,965
I decreased the 8khz by -13dB, probably not good?
With what pair do you need to do this? The Beyer T5P.2s?
I don't know if those T5P,2s are brighter than the Fidelios, never auditioned them, but I would steer clear of the X3 and especially the X2HRs if I were you.

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #892 of 1,965
No, the T5p.2 is very silky smooth, the sss is also very smooth too, it's a lovely headphone with a lot of clarity.
The T5p.2 is very pleasantly bright. There are different types of bright.

And I was playing with some EQ settings but the APO doesn't have the 7k regions, only 6.3 and 8k. But it might be my stupid ears.
It's the Amiron Home but I suspect it's my ears. One day I can stand it all fine without any EQ and next day... It's only the sss in vocals.

Sep 26, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #893 of 1,965
No, the T5p.2 is very silky smooth, the sss is also very smooth too, it's a lovely headphone with a lot of clarity.
The T5p.2 is very pleasantly bright. There are different types of bright.

And I was playing with some EQ settings but the APO doesn't have the 7k regions, only 6.3 and 8k. But it might be my stupid ears.
It's the Amiron Home but I suspect it's my ears. One day I can stand it all fine without any EQ and next day... It's only the sss in vocals.
I have this with all my headphones, with the exception of the Nightbirds and the HD650s, but even those can sound less smooth at times, not to say fatiguing but just not that mellow. Not that I need to EQ any of my headphones, but their sound can differ from time to time.
Your physical state and/or mood are a big influence

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #894 of 1,965
I have this with all my headphones, with the exception of the Nightbirds and the HD650s, but even those can sound less smooth at times, not to say fatiguing but just not that mellow. Not that I need to EQ any of my headphones, but their sound can differ from time to time.
Your physical state and/or mood are a big influence
That is very true. I have some occasional days where I'm extra sensitive too.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #897 of 1,965
Final conclusion regarding differences between the Fidelio X3 and X2HR.
The X2HRs are excellent for movies, games and today's (over)produced, highly polished and glossy pop, R&B and Hip Hop. They sound nicely bombastic, loose and without restraint.
The X3s are excellent for more natural recorded (both audiophile and basic/lo-fi) acoustic music genres, like classical music, singer songwriter and indie pop. Vocals have more body, mids have more meat and the treble is much better behaved. But, I have to agree: the X3s do lack the unrestrained free spirited nature of the X2HRs a bit. Not by much, but arguably enough to upset current X2HR owners.

Sep 27, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #898 of 1,965
DMS video at 4:25
Easy to see why I find them a little too bright/sibilant at 8khz, and miss sub-bass...
Skjermbilde 2020-09-27 125858.jpg

If you look at the measurements, and what Mink says in his last post (I listen to mostly pop/rock/r&b/hip hop/modern folk/country), I should've bought the X2HR.
fr.png

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #899 of 1,965
Sep 27, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #900 of 1,965
Interesting replies. And the HD560S, it's not almost equal to the older HD5xx? According to the DIY website, there should be no ssssibilance which is a good thing.

The X3 is a bit overpriced, especially if the HD560S is the better deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back