Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 25, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #871 of 1,965
I thought about notifying you, but it felt childish to start the same price drop posts, as we did earlier on in this thread all over again. :)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #874 of 1,965
To me the X3s are really something special with classical music. Their soundstage is so natural. Just that little bit recess in the mids creates convincing depth. Big orchestral works sound lush, detailed and never congested.
And their treble is just right, for my ears that is. The 1K dip prevents violins to sound steely or ringy and the peak that starts at around 6k and that rises up to 8k gives individual instruments in big orchestral works presence and some bite, without hardness or shrillness, I think their open design plays a big part in keeping things smooth, if the cups were closed I think they would be very peaky and they would ring like crazy.
I wanted to say that they are tonally the opposites of the NightHawks, being brighter, less warm and so on, but when just listening to them, enjoying music they give me almost the exact same pleasure: being warm, smooth and with excellent timbre. Or maybe my ears are the true stars, they are so flexible and adjustable.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #877 of 1,965
Interesting difference between the X2HRs and X3s with this song.

The X2HRs sound looser, more effortless, almost like they are more dynamic, but the overall tonality is thinner. In parts where there isn't any (mid)bass they almost sound cold. Vocals are very sibilant in where a part of the SSSS tone is seperated and made into an autonomous tone/texture. So you get two sssss's for the price of one. Vocals lack body.
The X3s sound more controlled, focused and polished. Some restraint in comparison with the X2HRs. There is sibilance but the tone remains whole, no smearing, no artefacts, no grain but with it fortunately, to my ears at least no hardness. Soundstage width is the same, but the mids are warmer and lusher. It sound like the pitch of the vocals is lower on the X3s.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #878 of 1,965
Where the X3 at 200 euro?

Sep 26, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #879 of 1,965
I thought about notifying you, but it felt childish to start the same price drop posts, as we did earlier on in this thread all over again. :)
Nah, it's not childish at all. I don't see any child buying the X3, not even teens🤣
349 bucks is also a bit overpriced IMO, especially if there are cheaper ones or perhaps equally or different like the newly announced HD560S at 199.

The painfully SSSS is wat I truely hate in vocals, not fun. What's the reason behind that? Why can't they smooth the ssss out?

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #880 of 1,965
The painfully SSSS is wat I truely hate in vocals, not fun. What's the reason behind that? Why can't they smooth the ssss out?

Many times, sibilance is in the recording itself. But it never gets noticed until you have a revealing/detailed enough headphone. Then it gets blamed on the headphone, when in reality it’s the opposite.

II don’t have the X3, so I’m not saying that is the case here. But it’s still food for thought.

Sep 26, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #881 of 1,965
Many times, sibilance is in the recording itself. But it never gets noticed until you have a revealing/detailed enough headphone. Then it gets blamed on the headphone, when in reality it’s the opposite.

II don’t have the X3, so I’m not saying that is the case here. But it’s still food for thought.
I see. What about the T5p.2? Its clarity is very good and detailed too and yet the sss is very smooth.
And I knew I should blame it on the sibilance instead of the headphone itself and glad I did.

Your profile pic is so true for me btw lol

Sep 26, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #882 of 1,965

Yes, most sibilance is in the recording. Some to a greater degree some to a lesser degree.
Headphones are the same. Some headphones make the sibilance more noticeable.
If I compare the sibilance on the x2 with the sibilance on my Senn. hd 598 and hd 6xx; the sibilance is more noticeable on the x2 less on the 598 and less still on the 650.

It may be due to the dip before 5kz. then rising to a peak at 5kz., then back down, then up to a peak at 10khz.This enevenness may make the5khz. peak stand out, thus emphasizing sibilance on the x2.
I don't find it particularly annoying except with recordings that have a lot of sibilance to start with, then it gets bumped up by the x2.

The hd6xx , since it has less treble energy, and no peak, could be described as more forgiving of sibilance.

Sep 26, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #883 of 1,965
Yes, most sibilance is in the recording. Some to a greater degree some to a lesser degree.
Headphones are the same. Some headphones make the sibilance more noticeable.
If I compare the sibilance on the x2 with the sibilance on my Senn. hd 598 and hd 6xx; the sibilance is more noticeable on the x2 less on the 598 and less still on the 650.

It may be due to the dip before 5kz. then rising to a peak at 5kz., then back down, then up to a peak at 10khz.This enevenness may make the5khz. peak stand out, thus emphasizing sibilance on the x2.
I don't find it particularly annoying except with recordings that have a lot of sibilance to start with, then it gets bumped up by the x2.

The hd6xx , since it has less treble energy, and no peak, could be described as more forgiving of sibilance.
Which frequencies are the sss sibilance? I thought 8khz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back