Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 7, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #14,491 of 15,268
@goodyfresh Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the micro suede pads once you get them mounted? I want to order replacement pads as well but can't decide between the micro suede and the velour.

I got the micro-suede pads, put them on the 3D-printed mounting-rings (which I was able to get to fit without wobbling), and bad news you guys: They COMPLETELY change the sound. The actual frequency-response seems ALMOST the same as with the stock pads except that the sub-bass extension is a bit better and the treble seems a bit more distant, although it's hard to tell with the treble because the separation and layering is now complete crap (see below). The micro-suede completely ruins the sound of these headphones by making them sound much more like semi-open or closed headphones than the fully-open headphones they're supposed to be! They sound veiled and muffled; the clarity, detail resolution, and separation of the sound are all significantly reduced. With the micro-suede pads the headphones isolate outside noise in the upper-mids and treble much more than they did with the stock pads. Sure enough, the smoother material of the micro-suede greatly increases the comfort, but at the cost of making these sound more closed by sealing them better against my head. The separation and layering of instruments is, quite frankly, absolute CRAP compared to what it is with the stock velour pads. Also, the soundstage is narrower despite the fact the drivers are now farther from my ears.

I know this isn't all in my head, as I'm able to do very quick side-by-side comparisons; taking advantage of Amazon's return policy and the return window currently being until Jan. 21, I actually have THREE X2HR's because I knew of the quality-control issues. That was a good call, as only one of the three doesn't have a channel-imbalance when I test it with sweeping tones (these are the ones from the newer manufacturer, not Gibsons... Philips does still have QC issues). I can do a quick swap with equalized volume between one pair with the stock velours and another with the micro-suedes. With the stock velour pads, the pairs with the channel-imbalances sound significantly better than the pair with perfect balance in spite of their imbalances, due to the fact that with the velour pads they have far greater clarity, resolution, and imaging.

Fwiw I find the micro suede to be extremely comfortable and has switched to them from velour on several headphones now.

Yes, it's much more comfortable, but as I noted above, it completely ruined the sound in my opinion. I'm not sure what to do at this point. No offense, but I don't comprehend how any of you can even STAND the sound of the X2HR's with the micro-suede pads. It completely, absolutely ruins the sound of these great headphones by making them sound semi-open rather than fully-open.

I'm not sure what to do now guys; I don't know if I can even return the Brainwavz pads because they weren't available on Amazon and I had to get them straight from Brainwavz, and their return-policy is complicated and weird! These may have been a complete waste. Meanwhile, the stock velour pads are uncomfortably itchy half the time I use them!

WHAT SHOULD I DO? Do any of you know of VELOUR earpads out there from any company that will fit the mounting-rings and the earcups but have a finer, non-itchy velour material? Or of any kind of micro-fiber pads that WON'T make these headphones sound semi-open instead of open and thus completely ruin the sound?

All I want is earpads that won't make my ears and head itch like the stock pads do but will also preserve the wonderfully open sound of the headphones! Ugh. If I can't find such a thing, I may end up just returning the headphones and continuing my search.

Dec 8, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #14,492 of 15,268
I got the micro-suede pads, put them on the 3D-printed mounting-rings (which I was able to get to fit without wobbling), and bad news you guys: They COMPLETELY change the sound. The actual frequency-response seems ALMOST the same as with the stock pads except that the sub-bass extension is a bit better and the treble seems a bit more distant, although it's hard to tell with the treble because the separation and layering is now complete crap (see below). The micro-suede completely ruins the sound of these headphones by making them sound much more like semi-open or closed headphones than the fully-open headphones they're supposed to be! They sound veiled and muffled; the clarity, detail resolution, and separation of the sound are all significantly reduced. With the micro-suede pads the headphones isolate outside noise in the upper-mids and treble much more than they did with the stock pads. Sure enough, the smoother material of the micro-suede greatly increases the comfort, but at the cost of making these sound more closed by sealing them better against my head. The separation and layering of instruments is, quite frankly, absolute CRAP compared to what it is with the stock velour pads. Also, the soundstage is narrower despite the fact the drivers are now farther from my ears.

I know this isn't all in my head, as I'm able to do very quick side-by-side comparisons; taking advantage of Amazon's return policy and the return window currently being until Jan. 21, I actually have THREE X2HR's because I knew of the quality-control issues. That was a good call, as only one of the three doesn't have a channel-imbalance when I test it with sweeping tones (these are the ones from the newer manufacturer, not Gibsons... Philips does still have QC issues). I can do a quick swap with equalized volume between one pair with the stock velours and another with the micro-suedes. With the stock velour pads, the pairs with the channel-imbalances sound significantly better than the pair with perfect balance in spite of their imbalances, due to the fact that with the velour pads they have far greater clarity, resolution, and imaging.

Yes, it's much more comfortable, but as I noted above, it completely ruined the sound in my opinion. I'm not sure what to do at this point. No offense, but I don't comprehend how any of you can even STAND the sound of the X2HR's with the micro-suede pads. It completely, absolutely ruins the sound of these great headphones by making them sound semi-open rather than fully-open.

I'm not sure what to do now guys; I don't know if I can even return the Brainwavz pads because they weren't available on Amazon and I had to get them straight from Brainwavz, and their return-policy is complicated and weird! These may have been a complete waste. Meanwhile, the stock velour pads are uncomfortably itchy half the time I use them!

WHAT SHOULD I DO? Do any of you know of VELOUR earpads out there from any company that will fit the mounting-rings and the earcups but have a finer, non-itchy velour material? Or of any kind of micro-fiber pads that WON'T make these headphones sound semi-open instead of open and thus completely ruin the sound?

All I want is earpads that won't make my ears and head itch like the stock pads do but will also preserve the wonderfully open sound of the headphones! Ugh. If I can't find such a thing, I may end up just returning the headphones and continuing my search.

I think you have to bear in mind that no other third party pad is going to sound identical unfortunately. In which case it's trial and error. On the plus side you've found some mounting plates that allow you to test without destroying the originals. Now you need to find a pad that'll fit but also suit your needs.

The Dekoni Beyerdynamic velour measure 10.5mm across. The Fidelio pads measure 11mm across I believe. But Dekoni have a newer model of these Beyerdynamic pads this year with a smaller lip on the back. So I don't know if they'll adequately stretch far enough over the plates. They're also more expensive again. You could be at a point of calling it a day with the Fidelio and sending them back, then just selling the plates and pads you just bought.

I had to trial and error a few different types of pads before settling on the suede. I tried the Brainwavz pleather (ruined the sound) and Brainwavz velour (even itchier!). Pad swapping can become a bit of an annoyingly expensive mission.

Have you ever tried Beyerdynamic headphones? Their velour is like an angel farting roses on your head. They're extremely comfortable. The DT 880 is also a slightly better sounding headphone, just no detachable lead sadly.

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #14,493 of 15,268
I think you have to bear in mind that no other third party pad is going to sound identical unfortunately. In which case it's trial and error. On the plus side you've found some mounting plates that allow you to test without destroying the originals. Now you need to find a pad that'll fit but also suit your needs.

The Dekoni Beyerdynamic velour measure 10.5mm across. The Fidelio pads measure 11mm across I believe. But Dekoni have a newer model of these Beyerdynamic pads this year with a smaller lip on the back. So I don't know if they'll adequately stretch far enough over the plates. They're also more expensive again. You could be at a point of calling it a day with the Fidelio and sending them back, then just selling the plates and pads you just bought.

I had to trial and error a few different types of pads before settling on the suede. I tried the Brainwavz pleather (ruined the sound) and Brainwavz velour (even itchier!). Pad swapping can become a bit of an annoyingly expensive mission.

Have you ever tried Beyerdynamic headphones? Their velour is like an angel farting roses on your head. They're extremely comfortable. The DT 880 is also a slightly better sounding headphone, just no detachable lead sadly.

Hmmmm, would the Dekoni Elite Velour pads be non-itchy despite being velour? It's my understanding that there are different levels of quality for velour and that the Brainwavz velours are the lowest-common-denominator for velour (thus apparently being REALLY itchy) while the X2HR's stock pads are still a pretty low-quality velour (which honestly makes me really pissed at Philips because if only the pads were comfortable I'd be done with this tedious and annoying mission). Are the Dekoni pads the same level of quality velour as stock Beyer pads, which you say are comfortable and non-itchy even though the stock X2HR pads were itchy for you? Is that why the Dekoni pads cost $50? Lol.

Also note what I said about how I had to buy three X2HR's in order to find one that didn't have a channel-imbalance. These aren't the Gibsons, they're from the newer manufacturer. Philips really needs to GET THEIR crap TOGETHER with quality-control for driver-matching and with this crap-quality velour in the earpads.

I'm also really annoyed because the Brainwavz Micro-Suedes are FINALLY available again on Amazon... I had to buy them directly from Brainwavz because they sold out on Amazon... I have Prime, so if they'd been available when I needed them on there, I could just return them for a refund! UGH!

There's no need to call it quits with the X2HR and return them just yet, as the return-window is until Jan. 31, I have the time. And apparently Dekoni has a much better return-policy than Brainwavz, so if I get the Dekoni pads and dislike them, I can return them. I don't want the DT880's instead because I don't want to sacrifice all my bass for the sake of an open sound at this price-point, which is the specific reason why I went for the X2HR's.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #14,494 of 15,268
While we are on the subject of itchy pads, has anyone had any itchness inside the actual ear canal with the stock pads? I just recently started having this a couple of weeks ago and I assumed it was somehow related to the X2HR's sound. It only began on the left ear, but somehow I started itching on the right ear as well. Just for the sake of making sure I'm not crazy, I compared it with my SHP9500s and I don't seem to get any itchyness with them.

Can the stock pads be my problem? Just to be on the safe side, I started taking some meds for a possible ear infection. Started spraying my ear pads with some disinfectant as well (is this safe? It doesn't contain any chlorine or any strong chemicals that might damage something like fabric)

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #14,495 of 15,268
Hmmmm, would the Dekoni Elite Velour pads be non-itchy despite being velour? It's my understanding that there are different levels of quality for velour and that the Brainwavz velours are the lowest-common-denominator for velour (thus apparently being REALLY itchy) while the X2HR's stock pads are still a pretty low-quality velour (which honestly makes me really pissed at Philips because if only the pads were comfortable I'd be done with this tedious and annoying mission). Are the Dekoni pads the same level of quality velour as stock Beyer pads, which you say are comfortable and non-itchy even though the stock X2HR pads were itchy for you? Is that why the Dekoni pads cost $50? Lol.

Also note what I said about how I had to buy three X2HR's in order to find one that didn't have a channel-imbalance. These aren't the Gibsons, they're from the newer manufacturer. Philips really needs to GET THEIR crap TOGETHER with quality-control for driver-matching and with this crap-quality velour in the earpads.

I'm also really annoyed because the Brainwavz Micro-Suedes are FINALLY available again on Amazon... I had to buy them directly from Brainwavz because they sold out on Amazon... I have Prime, so if they'd been available when I needed them on there, I could just return them for a refund! UGH!

There's no need to call it quits with the X2HR and return them just yet, as the return-window is until Jan. 31, I have the time. And apparently Dekoni has a much better return-policy than Brainwavz, so if I get the Dekoni pads and dislike them, I can return them. I don't want the DT880's instead because I don't want to sacrifice all my bass for the sake of an open sound at this price-point, which is the specific reason why I went for the X2HR's.

Maybe you should just return the Philips, and try a different brand. It sounds like you’ll be happier in the long run. Maybe a Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic?

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #14,496 of 15,268
I've received the X2HR yesterday and will share my first impressions this weekend. So far, it's good especially for the price I've paid (95€ only)

I receive too the Fiio K5 Pro on Friday to have a better source than my Mac.

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #14,497 of 15,268
Thinking about getting these for my father. I've read that they're pretty comfortable, which is important in this decision. I'll probably get him a simple FiiO E10K to use with it on his computer (unless someone has a better suggestion for cheap), but I'm wondering how these would sound on an old iPad mini.

He spends a lot of time sitting in his chair listening to music out of the speakers on that thing. I know he won't get the full experience of these headphones out of that but I'm wondering if they'll at least be adequate when used with it (probably have Spotify for the source once I get him that to upgrade from YouTube).

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #14,499 of 15,268
Have you ever tried Beyerdynamic headphones? Their velour is like an angel farting roses on your head.
I've actually had this experience--and Beyer velour pads had nothing to do with it.

E72CF790-9258-4788-8CF4-D46B8502249B.gif

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #14,500 of 15,268

Maybe look into the Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R. At $200 they cost a bit more than the X2s, but if you're gonna have to get new earpads for the X2s that's still pretty much a wash. Less of an upper bass hump than the X2s but still plenty of impact and overall an upgrade in sound quality in my opinion and the frequency response is less wonky than other sub-$200 Beyers.

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #14,501 of 15,268
Thinking about getting these for my father. I've read that they're pretty comfortable, which is important in this decision. I'll probably get him a simple FiiO E10K to use with it on his computer (unless someone has a better suggestion for cheap), but I'm wondering how these would sound on an old iPad mini.

He spends a lot of time sitting in his chair listening to music out of the speakers on that thing. I know he won't get the full experience of these headphones out of that but I'm wondering if they'll at least be adequate when used with it (probably have Spotify for the source once I get him that to upgrade from YouTube).

I only own the X2HR since Monday but they are really comfortable (although a bit tight out of the box, so they need stretch's exercices at the beginning). Nicely built, except the cable I find a bit too stiff and quite long... Good sound's quality even with Spotify Premium and my Mac, but only get better with Fiio K5 Pro et Qobuz Hi Res. For 95€ what a steal! Also only 30 ohms so easily driven theoretically by almost anything, so the E10K should be more than convenient.

I will share further impressions this weekend once I've listened various types of music for a prolonged time :beerchug:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #14,502 of 15,268

Sounds like solid choices for him. Good decision. They'll sound great, shouldn't be an issue powering them with the Fiio.

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #14,504 of 15,268
You guys really think I should just return them and get something else if I'm having the issue with itchy pads? Is finding replacement pads that don't change the sound much and won't be itchy impossible? Has anybody TRIED the Dekoni Elite velour pads or Beyer pads and seen how those change the sound and whether they're less itchy? What about Shure 1540 or 1840 pads, which are oval but I've read can work well with the X2HR?

I'll probably be getting a little bit of money from a couple people for the holidays, so if I return the X2HR's, I should be able to budget up to $200. Does anyone else have thoughts on the Tygr 300R and how they sound compared to the X2HR? Would their velour pads possibly itch? I'm wary of the attached cable... I HATE attached cables.

I've considered the Sennhesier HD560s, but I'm pretty sure that if I go for those, I won't be able to also afford a more powerful source, which I need for those since they're 120 ohm! Ugh. Not only that but I'd have to get a Bluetooth DAC/Amp because my laptop (which is SUPPOSED to be a "gaming/entertainment" laptop, an HP Omen) has USB Audio with pops and clicks, so USB DAC's are a no-go (yes, this is obviously unacceptable from a gaming laptop). And with Windows 10, there's no way for me to make sure that a Bluetooth amp would use low-latency; if I can't get it to do so then anything requiring a powerful source will be useless to me, as I'm looking for all-rounder cans with which I can not only listen to music, but watch movies, TV, and game as well. Everything I watch is always on my laptop, and I like to use headphones to watch things.

I also need to keep in mind that I wear glasses, and a lot of headphones, even open-backed ones, lose a very noticeable amount of their bass due to glasses; one of my reasons for looking at the X2HR's and HD560s is because there are measurements on DiyAudio and Rtings showing that their sound isn't affected by glasses. The Tygr 300R's seem nice and all but are very new to the market, so there is very little information about them, and with so little info I'm not sure if I'm comfortable gambling on them. As I mentioned, I'm reluctant to gamble on the 560s because of issues with getting more powerful audio from my laptop for their high impedance, and as I said now that I wasted $50 (ugh) I probably CAN'T afford a DAC anyway if I get $200 headphones. And of course, the HD560s have velour pads... are they itchy?

I refuse to just stick with IEM's; I know that would be the easiest thing for my situation, but I want a pair of open-back full-sized headphones that will give me a more expansive, spacious sound that doesn't sound at all congested, especially for movies and gaming.

I apologize for the length of my posts; I'm obviously kind of desperate here. I'm really upset that I found basically my endgame headphones on my current budget, only to find that they have these crap-quality velour pads that drive me insane. And now I wasted $50 on pads and mountings I can't return.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #14,505 of 15,268
Tricky situation about those itchy pads... I could suggest you the Meze 99 Noir on Drop when it's available. Quite an expensive soundstage although it's a closed design, with leather pads and a warm/musical sound signature. It was 200$ I think? It would eliminate the potential issue having itchy velour pads. They are also easy to drive and have the same kind of suspended system as the X2HR. Or you could go with the HD560s but if you're sensitive to velours pads, you never know how it will feel until you try :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back