Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 28, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #14,477 of 15,268
@goodyfresh Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the micro suede pads once you get them mounted? I want to order replacement pads as well but can't decide between the micro suede and the velour.

I'll try to remember to do that, but I'm very absent-minded so no promises LOL.

To everyone saying I can glue the mounting mechanisms on: That kinda defeats the purpose of getting the mounting-rings 3D printed so I can slip them into the back of the new earpads and click them onto the X2HR's, doesn't it? In that case I may as well just not have gotten the mounting rings and just glue on the new pads, haha.

I'm thinking I will try either grommets, heat-string tubing, or electrical tape. I will probably try electrical tape first as it seems like the easiest thing. Will electrical tape have any weird sonic effects... like, if it's sitting so close to the driver, will it cause rattling or buzzing or anything annoying like that?

Nov 28, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #14,478 of 15,268
@goodyfresh Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the micro suede pads once you get them mounted? I want to order replacement pads as well but can't decide between the micro suede and the velour.

Fwiw I find the micro suede to be extremely comfortable and has switched to them from velour on several headphones now.

Nov 28, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #14,480 of 15,268
I'll try to remember to do that, but I'm very absent-minded so no promises LOL.

To everyone saying I can glue the mounting mechanisms on: That kinda defeats the purpose of getting the mounting-rings 3D printed so I can slip them into the back of the new earpads and click them onto the X2HR's, doesn't it? In that case I may as well just not have gotten the mounting rings and just glue on the new pads, haha.

I'm thinking I will try either grommets, heat-string tubing, or electrical tape. I will probably try electrical tape first as it seems like the easiest thing. Will electrical tape have any weird sonic effects... like, if it's sitting so close to the driver, will it cause rattling or buzzing or anything annoying like that?

Well if your following me on using the electrical tape, then you're just wrapping it around the mounting pegs on the earcup to "thicken" them. There shouldn't be any reason it would effect the sound.

Plus the type of glue @Slater mentioned should be very removeable. Just apply a small drop to the pegs - you probably wouldn't even need to do all 4

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #14,481 of 15,268
Well if your following me on using the electrical tape, then you're just wrapping it around the mounting pegs on the earcup to "thicken" them. There shouldn't be any reason it would effect the sound.

Plus the type of glue @Slater mentioned should be very removeable. Just apply a small drop to the pegs - you probably wouldn't even need to do all 4
My Woox build X2 had that glue on the pegs from the factory.

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #14,482 of 15,268
@goodyfresh
I can't believe I overlooked the obvious. Just put a small donut of blu-tak around the base of the pegs, like an o-ring. It should squish out and fill the space in the adapter hole, sticking it on nicely. You could try test fitting the adapters without the pads to get the amount of blu-tak just right.
Quick, cheap, 100% reversible. You would only need to make sure there are no gaps between the earcup and earpads or that would affect the sound.

Or you could go stupid overboard and put a ring of blu-tak around the entire earcup and seal it good, but well… overkill:wink:

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #14,483 of 15,268
Hi guys, I got them two days ago for 87 euros on Amazon Spain. Althought it's really cheap, at first I was a bit disappointed because they sounded muffled and grainy for me. Soundstage was really good tho.
This changed when I applied a preset from autoeq to the Apo equalizer. This definitelly improved the sound, now they don't sound dirty and I'm enjoying them, specially with electronic music. I think for 100 euros they are good but I would've been mad paying retail price for these. I own the SHP9500 and I think that they are better value and with a proper Eq they sound better than the Fidelio X2HR if you aren't a bass head.

Dec 3, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #14,486 of 15,268
What isn't these days?

Some Sennheiser headphones (like the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee) were made in Ireland and are now made in Romania. Pro-Ject Audio Systems makes their range of products in Czech Republic and Slovakia. JDS Labs makes their products in the USA. Schiit makes their products in the USA. Some of Thinksound's products are made in the USA.

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #14,487 of 15,268
After almost two years of good service with my Master & Dynamic MH40, it was time to change. It's also been a while since I wanted to try the X2HR, and given the current situation, I am always listening at home and it's very quiet. So when I saw the price on Amazon.fr at 95€, I've immediately ordered, couldn't resist at this price! I've also ordered the Fiio K5 Pro to pair with it, and will probably come back to Qobuz (tried Tidal last year but wasn't fully convinced).

Most of the qualities of the X2HR match what I am looking for :

- warm sound signature
- a good amount of bass when needed
- relaxing sound
- wide soundstage
- comfortable
- nice looking
- open headphone since it's very quiet in my room

I know it's not the most resolving headphone and mids are a little bit recessed apparently, but I can live with that I guess. In 2016 I had the HD 650 for about a year, and this was probably the best signature in my memory so far. So the Fidelio will only be my second open air model. I can't wait to try it!

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #14,488 of 15,268
After almost two years of good service with my Master & Dynamic MH40, it was time to change. It's also been a while since I wanted to try the X2HR, and given the current situation, I am always listening at home and it's very quiet. So when I saw the price on Amazon.fr at 95€, I've immediately ordered, couldn't resist at this price! I've also ordered the Fiio K5 Pro to pair with it, and will probably come back to Qobuz (tried Tidal last year but wasn't fully convinced).

Most of the qualities of the X2HR match what I am looking for :

- warm sound signature
- a good amount of bass when needed
- relaxing sound
- wide soundstage
- comfortable
- nice looking
- open headphone since it's very quiet in my room

I know it's not the most resolving headphone and mids are a little bit recessed apparently, but I can live with that I guess. In 2016 I had the HD 650 for about a year, and this was probably the best signature in my memory so far. So the Fidelio will only be my second open air model. I can't wait to try it!

I have the original X2s, not the X2HRs. But they're described as sounding nearly identical.

I know my X2s would check off every item on your list.

Resolution is a slippery beast. Music studio professionals aside--how much or how little one prioritizes resolution is a personal & subjective decision.

Most headphones (also speakers, amps, DACs) that I've heard, and that are described as high-resolution/neutral, don't sound terribly pleasing on music, at least not to me. I've only heard one headphone that manages to be highly resolving/detailed and musical--the ZMF Verite Open, which costs ~14X what I paid for the X2s.

So if I have to trade a little resolution to get that relaxing, musical sound--I'll make that trade any day.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #14,489 of 15,268
I've started hifi gear with DAP and resolving iEMs like Heir Audio 4.ai, Westone W40, Ibasso IT03, or yet Earsonic Velvet. In the beginning and then for a while I was so focused on sound quality and technicality, not the fun factor. What's really hit me was the Oppo PM-3 : extreme accuracy and realistic voices with enormous amount of detail, but a dull and boring sound signature lacking dynamic and pleasure. I had to pair it with with a warmer sound at the time to get more excitement. It was an AK Jr with a Wolfson chip inside if I recall well.

Anyway, I've really started to pay attention to sound signature and always went for musical signatures : the HD650 I've mentioned, the Sennheiser M2 over ear, the MH40, and now the X2HR. By the way, I've stayed 3 years without any quality DAC/soundcard and files so I guess I am not so focused on technicality rather than the enjoyment of the listening session.

Of course at the moment if I had more money, I'd try to combine the better of both worlds : on one hand the technicality, and on the other hand a musical and fun sound. But yes it gonna cost much more than the Fidelio haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back