Philips Fidelio X2?!
Nov 26, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #14,461 of 15,268
Me Trev said: “Seriously… the two things that pop into my head are: either find a grommet that'll fit into the adapter holes, or use a piece of tubing <heck even heat shrink or a tape wrapping> over the pegs to try and tighten things up.”

I would try the heat shrink tubing, electrical tape or even Teflon tape if electrical tape and heat shrink are too thick. All easy, cheap and easily undone if you don’t like they way it works.

John
];’)

Why electrical tape, specifically? Wouldn't something stronger probably be better?

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #14,462 of 15,268
Thinking of moving from my X2s (which I love, but the curiosity for more is always there) to some Beyer Amiron Homes or DT1990s.

Anyone listened to both and is it a decent upgrade? or would you recommend sticking with the X2s. I wouldn't mind slightly better imaging but that's about it lol.
I use the Amiron Home and also owned the 1990 this year. I sent the 1990 back to Amazon, the Amiron Home are my main headphone. I love them. I also love my X2HR, but the Amiron are a better headphone. The Amiron often feels like a refined X2 to me. I wouldn't be without either.

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #14,463 of 15,268
Why electrical tape, specifically? Wouldn't something stronger probably be better?
This is where you'll have to improvise. Unfortunately it's unlikely people will be able to give you a specific answer on exactly what you should use. You'll have to experiment with materials to find the answer. Essentially you need to lessen the diameter of the holes, or widen the pegs. Electrical tape is a nice idea as it isn't permanent. You're only trying to add resistance. Otherwise get some decent double sided tape and just tape them on. 3M VHB tape.

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #14,467 of 15,268
Thinking of moving from my X2s (which I love, but the curiosity for more is always there) to some Beyer Amiron Homes or DT1990s.

Anyone listened to both and is it a decent upgrade? or would you recommend sticking with the X2s. I wouldn't mind slightly better imaging but that's about it lol.

I listened to the Amiron Homes briefly at a show last year. Actually wasn't impressed. These are advertised as the not-icy cold neutral Beyerdynamic headphone--but they sounded a bit edgy to me. Then again, it was a brief audition and not IMS at home... Nevertheless, I felt that physically & sonically the X2s are better.

This is the challenge, going forward: to find a headphone that betters the X2 sonically, if not also physically, w/o spending >5X the price of the X2. It's not easy at all, I can tell you.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #14,468 of 15,268
I listened to the Amiron Homes briefly at a show last year. Actually wasn't impressed. These are advertised as the not-icy cold neutral Beyerdynamic headphone--but they sounded a bit edgy to me. Then again, it was a brief audition and not IMS at home... Nevertheless, I felt that physically & sonically the X2s are better.

This is the challenge, going forward: to find a headphone that betters the X2 sonically, if not also physically, w/o spending >5X the price of the X2. It's not easy at all, I can tell you.
I've never personally seen the Amiron described as neutral. The name says it all really, Home. They're designed for home use and they're most definitely not neutral. No Beyers are.

I think it's the case for all Beyers, that the DAC/Amp they're paired with is hugely influential. I use my Amiron with either my Chord Mojo, my Darkvoice tube amp, or most of all with my Schiit Jotunheim (with multi-bit DAC card). All three are generally considered to be warm sounding sources. I find these do take the edge off most Beyerdynamic's. As do they with the X2HR, which can also almost split ears on the wrong pairing.

The Amiron pair beautifully with a warm source. I can imagine they would have a slight edge with more clinical sources. But they are easily one of the warmer Beyer headphones. Compare them side by side with the 990 or 1990 to hear what I mean.

However, having used them for the past year side by side with my X2HR, there's no doubt that they're a substantially better headphone sonically, and they're also more comfortable... did I mention you can actually buy earpads for them?! But they bloody should be better for the price difference. Don't forget though, the X2 and X2HR were around about £230 on release. I'd personally not be happy to pay that for them, despite loving them. Especially with the farce of trying to replace the earpads.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #14,469 of 15,268
Has anyone here tried replacing the hammock style headband on the X2's? After 5 years mine has lost basically all elasticity so the headphones keep falling off my head with any movement. They still sound great so I wanna see if there's a way to salvage them instead of just throwing them away. I've already asked phillips and they say they don't do headband replacements and don't even have a part number for the headband. Since there are no official replacements, I'm open to trying anything really, including mods that are different from the stock headband if anyone has any suggestions.

If and when mine ever wear out, I’m just going to replace the suspension headband with a nice leather headband.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/philips-shp9500-discussion-thread.717690/page-127#post-14726299

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/philips-shp9500-discussion-thread.717690/page-128#post-14730866

It’s not like I need the suspension mechanism anyways. That’s only so it fits a wide variety of head sizes and shapes. Since I only have 1 head, I can make a fixed leather headband to fit my head specifically how I want.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #14,470 of 15,268
Okay guys so I'm having an issue! I got replacement mounting-rings 3D-printed for pads for the X2HR's, since I don't want to have to rip apart the stock velour pads to remove the mounting mechanism to use in my new Brainwavz pads once they come in. I of course used this file that has been passed around in this thread a lot: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3783629

Here's the issue: The holes in the mounting ring are too big for the X2HR mounting-staves around the drivers! When I attach the new rings to the X2HR's, they are wobbly as heck and don't stay in place. Thus, they will prove useless for my new earpads. I am very upset about this as I paid $29 to get these things 3D-printed!

Here is my QUESTION: Is this issue because those mounting-ring 3D printing files are for the X2's, and my headphones are the X2HR's? Namely, do the X2HR's have thinner staves for the mounting-mechanism than the X2's had, and is that the issue? Or rather, is there an issue with the file for the 3D printed rings where the holes are too large, or did the 3D printing place I went to screw this up somehow???

If I can't get something 3D-printed that will properly fit the headphones, then does anyone have a spare old pair of the stock X2HR earpads that they are willing to part with and could send to me, sot hat I could rip the mounting mechanisms out of them to use in my new earpads? I'm sorry to have to ask that, but I don't know what to do about this, it's an upsetting situation. I want to be able to use the new Brainwavz pads with a properly working mounting-mechanism, but at the same time I don't want to have to rip apart the almost-brand-new stock earpads that came on my X2HR's, as even though they're itchy I want to have them available as backups.

My pads are interchangeable between the X2 and X2HR. My guess is that there was perhaps something a little off in the source 3D file. It’s possible that whoever originally made the file, didn’t have access to highly accurate measurement instruments such as micrometers etc. Hence why it fits a little loose.

You could always glue the adapter in place with a semi-removable glue. Like the “booger” glue that holds gift cards to the cardboard backing. It would hold it in place, yet be removable down the road (with zero damage) if you ever needed it to. That’s what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #14,471 of 15,268
My pads are interchangeable between the X2 and X2HR. My guess is that there was perhaps something a little off in the source 3D file. It’s possible that whoever originally made the file, didn’t have access to highly accurate measurement instruments such as micrometers etc. Hence why it fits a little loose.

You could always glue the adapter in place with a semi-removable glue. Like the “booger” glue that holds gift cards to the cardboard backing. It would hold it in place, yet be removable down the road (with zero damage) if you ever needed it to. That’s what I would do if I were in your shoes.

That'd be the perfect type of glue. Just make sure you don't go overboard with the stuff. My earpads were glued on, but they were still easy enough to remove without damage (I only removed them is because of the strong chemical smell OTB. I let them air out for a week or so and used a pair of my Brainwavz in the meantime)

Electrical tape would be good because you then can control how much you need to wrap on the peg to get a tight fit.
I was thinking after I logged off yesterday that using something like the stem from a pair of eartips could work. Ultimately it depends on exactly how loose the adapters fit.

If you could get the sizes down, foamy eartips would hold nicely. Find a pair that fit the pegs, squish em down and jam the earpads on. Once the foam expands, nice and tight. Although going this route you would almost be guaranteed to need to enlarge the holes on the adapter

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #14,472 of 15,268
If and when mine ever wear out, I’m just going to replace the suspension headband with a nice leather headband.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/philips-shp9500-discussion-thread.717690/page-127#post-14726299

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/philips-shp9500-discussion-thread.717690/page-128#post-14730866

It’s not like I need the suspension mechanism anyways. That’s only so it fits a wide variety of head sizes and shapes. Since I only have 1 head, I can make a fixed leather headband to fit my head specifically how I want.
That looks great, definitely saving that post and adding this project to my to-do list. I think I'll replace the pads first to get a better fit for the headband since my stock pads are on their last legs too. Should make a great backup pair in the end. Hopefully I don't mess up too bad and can make these last another 5 years as I hate throwing out electronics that are still working perfectly fine. Thanks for the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back