Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Nov 9, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #1,891 of 2,061
Heck yeah!

You get giant bag for a cheap price, and there’s many different diameters.

Perhaps the biggest plus is that it adds no weight. I liked the coax I did one of my cans, but it definitely added a noticeable amount of weight and I wasn’t a fan. That’s when I permanently switched to backer rod.

I mean, sure paper towel or Kleenex don’t add weight either, but I didn’t really like either compared to the backer rod.
It's easier to work with, comes in multiple sizes (as you said) etc...I recently realized another benefit: with pads that have foam that is a little bit too soft or plush (like the NVX version of the HM5 pads) the backer rod makes them a little more firm feeling. Adding some thin backer rod to my Fostex TR90 pads made them a great match for my Modhouse Argon, which does best with a deep, firm, leather pad.

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #1,892 of 2,061
I just mounted my new leather HM5 pads, and...it made the headphones great for listening to russian Hardbass, but not much else...I haven't got backer rod, but I tried putting some other foam behind the pads, but to my ears it just made the headphones darker and the bass more pronounced. This makes me think that buying backer rod will be a waste of money, since I'd like the 'phones to be brighter.

Any of you know a metod of brightening the headphones with HM5 mounted?

Nov 12, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #1,893 of 2,061
I just mounted my new leather HM5 pads, and...it made the headphones great for listening to russian Hardbass, but not much else...I haven't got backer rod, but I tried putting some other foam behind the pads, but to my ears it just made the headphones darker and the bass more pronounced. This makes me think that buying backer rod will be a waste of money, since I'd like the 'phones to be brighter.

Any of you know a metod of brightening the headphones with HM5 mounted?

Solid pads, like pleather or leather pads, will usually increase the bass on any headphone.

You want velour pads. Or maybe hybrid pads, Senitek fabric pads, or (possibly) fenestrated pads.

Nov 13, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #1,895 of 2,061
Solid pads, like pleather or leather pads, will usually increase the bass on any headphone.

You want velour pads. Or maybe hybrid pads, Senitek fabric pads, or (possibly) fenestrated pads.
Out of all the pads I have tried on my 9500s, my out of the ballpark favorite were the Dekoni Elite Velour. Unfortunately I only had them on loan and they are expensive relative to the cost of the headphone. ($40 pads for a $60 headphone...?) realistically, if I could only have one or two headphones and my total cost had to be $100 each, 9500s and Dekonis is a great deal.
Unfortunately I have a bunch of other headphones too, so instead I have $10 Senitek Hybrid pads on my 9500s and they are really good too.

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,896 of 2,061
I made a leather suspension strap for my 9500s...
IMG_20190118_123639_248.jpg

The original headband is only a year old, it's not in that bad of shape but it was getting kind of discolored and mushed down a bit, and I happened to be having a headband made for some Grados at the local leather shop, so I had him cut me a strap of leather.
It fits very comfortably, it's more snug than stock, which is good because it improves the sound.

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #1,897 of 2,061
I made a leather suspension strap for my 9500s...

The original headband is only a year old, it's not in that bad of shape but it was getting kind of discolored and mushed down a bit, and I happened to be having a headband made for some Grados at the local leather shop, so I had him cut me a strap of leather.
It fits very comfortably, it's more snug than stock, which is good because it improves the sound.

Beautiful!

How do the plastic clips that hold the band come apart? Screws, clips, etc?

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #1,898 of 2,061
Beautiful!

How do the plastic clips that hold the band come apart? Screws, clips, etc?
There are two posts on the headband, and then a little plastic piece clips in place...I'll take it apart and post a pic...please hold.

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #1,899 of 2,061
IMG_20190118_141555_855.jpg

Jan 18, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #1,900 of 2,061
The before and after.
I REALLY wish I had a stock set to listen to and compare...
50405211_10215498464748963_907968052153286656_o.jpg

until I put the leather strap on I thought of my 9500s as 'lightly modded'...then I took this picture and realized I have pretty much made a whole different headphone.

Attachments

• 50405211_10215498464748963_907968052153286656_o.jpg
    50405211_10215498464748963_907968052153286656_o.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 0
Jan 18, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #1,902 of 2,061
if i pre-pay you, would you ask this friend of yours to make me a headband as well? @Cruelhand Luke
lol...I was afraid this would happen.
I am the friend. I came up with all the measurements, tested it out, etc...then I bought some leather cut it to size, punched some holes, wrestled with it ....my point is, I'll gladly tell you HOW to make one...if you want to have one made, I would need to have several people that want one to make it worth my time.
What do you think a strap like that should cost?

Jan 18, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #1,903 of 2,061
The before and after.
I REALLY wish I had a stock set to listen to and compare...

until I put the leather strap on I thought of my 9500s as 'lightly modded'...then I took this picture and realized I have pretty much made a whole different headphone.

That looks awesome man. Nice job

Do you happen to know the dimensions of the new strap?

I guess I could remove the stock pad and measure it if you don’t know of the top of your head.

Jan 18, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #1,904 of 2,061
That looks awesome man. Nice job

Do you happen to know the dimensions of the new strap?

I guess I could remove the stock pad and measure it if you don’t know of the top of your head.
I don't know off the top of my head, I can get it for you...I know we think alike, so I'll tell you how I got there, on the first try. This strap was supposed to be a prototype, but it works so well, I don't see the point in making it perfect..the edges are a little ragged in places. I didn't make the pilot holes in the leather big enough,so I hacked things up a bit more than I meant to making them bigger) there are some dimples in the leather where I took measurements...it looks like a prototype...which I kinda like.
anyway, my thinking was, measure the original straps length, then shorten it on either side by an 1/8th or so, to tighten it up a little. The original maxipad lies pretty close to the plastic headband, like it's attached , I wanted this to be more of a suspension strap.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #1,905 of 2,061
lol...I was afraid this would happen.
I am the friend. I came up with all the measurements, tested it out, etc...then I bought some leather cut it to size, punched some holes, wrestled with it ....my point is, I'll gladly tell you HOW to make one...if you want to have one made, I would need to have several people that want one to make it worth my time.
What do you think a strap like that should cost?

no worries lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back