Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 11, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #13,936 of 15,268
Can anyone help me find a cable? I've searched high and low through Amazon but there seems to be not a single cable matching all my requirements.

I'd like to have a 1/4''-to-1/8'' cable that is exactly 4 feet long (about 1.2 meters). I'm really concerned about desk space and I've come to conclude that this is the only cable length that fits exactly the length I need to have plenty of space to lean back while not cluttering my desk.

Bonus points if it's rubberized instead of braided because it seems like the X2 is extra sensitive to those microphonics. I can't understand why anyone would want to use the stock cable, however nice it looks.

This one is the only one I found so far, but it doesn't look very high quality. I know what I'm looking for is unorthodox, but can it really be that difficult to find at least one nice alternative? Even ignoring price limits I seem to be left empty-handed.

I purchased my aftermarket cable for X2s from Ghent Audio. My favorite of their cables is the rubberized, flexible, inexpensive, and quite good-sounding D05, shown in link below:

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html

I thought this cable sounded somewhat better than the very microphonic and overly long OEM cable.

The owner, Ghent Zu, is a very helpful fellow & I have no doubt would customize one end to be 1/8th inch/3.5mm; and limit length to 4 feet. Just ask him...he can be reached at ghentxu@ghentaudio.com,

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #13,937 of 15,268
Can anyone help me find a cable? I've searched high and low through Amazon but there seems to be not a single cable matching all my requirements.

I'd like to have a 1/4''-to-1/8'' cable that is exactly 4 feet long (about 1.2 meters). I'm really concerned about desk space and I've come to conclude that this is the only cable length that fits exactly the length I need to have plenty of space to lean back while not cluttering my desk.

Bonus points if it's rubberized instead of braided because it seems like the X2 is extra sensitive to those microphonics. I can't understand why anyone would want to use the stock cable, however nice it looks.

This one is the only one I found so far, but it doesn't look very high quality. I know what I'm looking for is unorthodox, but can it really be that difficult to find at least one nice alternative? Even ignoring price limits I seem to be left empty-handed.

Are you OK with using a 3.5mm to 1/4” adapter, like the kind you get free with a lot of headphones?

If so, I have a great cable that I use and can recommend.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #13,938 of 15,268
I purchased my aftermarket cable for X2s from Ghent Audio. My favorite of their cables is the rubberized, flexible, inexpensive, and quite good-sounding D05, shown in link below:

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html

I thought this cable sounded somewhat better than the very microphonic and overly long OEM cable.

The owner, Ghent Zu, is a very helpful fellow & I have no doubt would customize one end to be 1/8th inch/3.5mm; and limit length to 4 feet. Just ask him...he can be reached at ghentxu@ghentaudio.com,
This will probably be more expensive than I initially anticipated, what with Europe shipping being in the mix. But I'll try my luck, thanks!

Are you OK with using a 3.5mm to 1/4” adapter, like the kind you get free with a lot of headphones?

If so, I have a great cable that I use and can recommend.
That's what I have already and it does the job, but I've read that sound quality degrades with stacks of connectors. The difference might be completely unnoticeable to the 10€ solution (2m cable plus quarter inch adapter), but since I've wanted to get it replaced already I felt like going for an adapter-less solution this time. Just didn't think it would be that difficult.

I'm still curious to know about your recommendation though!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #13,939 of 15,268
This will probably be more expensive than I initially anticipated, what with Europe shipping being in the mix. But I'll try my luck, thanks!

That's what I have already and it does the job, but I've read that sound quality degrades with stacks of connectors. The difference might be completely unnoticeable to the 10€ solution (2m cable plus quarter inch adapter), but since I've wanted to get it replaced already I felt like going for an adapter-less solution this time. Just didn't think it would be that difficult.

I'm still curious to know about your recommendation though!

The reason for the cable you're looking for is hard to find is because most producers are making 3.5mm to 3.5mm with the kind of adapter you're mentioning. This makes perfect sense as you get two connection options in one this way. I'm sure Superman can hear a difference but I'd be extremely surprised if anyone actually existing could pick out the adapter in a blind test. Then again many audiophiles like to think that they hear things that doesn't exist and love to exaggerate even the smallest difference....

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #13,941 of 15,268
Then again many audiophiles like to think that they hear things that doesn't exist and love to exaggerate even the smallest difference....

69133680-DB8E-4F66-BE80-15A9084D11D0.jpeg

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #13,943 of 15,268
I have a positive-pressure hyperbaric chamber that I use strictly for headphone audio. As a result, I get no dust whatsoever.

The whole rig (incl. filtration, pumps, alarm/timer interlocks & UPS power) is $334,000. A total deal!
How is the soundstage?

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #13,945 of 15,268
I've never even heard of these; I think they take the cake:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina47.htm

There are actually quite a few products like this out there in audiophile land--small devices that attach to a wall in order to effectuate (claimed) positive effects on interaction of the room & the speakers.

These particular ones are actually quite a bit cheaper than some of the others.

Personal note: While I am a self-professed audiophile of many years duration, there are some rabbit holes I refuse to go down. This is one of them.

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #13,946 of 15,268
I accidentally tripped over the wire and my beloved X2's cracked a bit but I thought it was only physical damage. Soon after now my right ear seems to keep losing sound unless i wiggle the wiring. Any ideas how to troubleshoot and fix this?

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #13,947 of 15,268
Do you guys know other headphones with similar soundstage and sound presentation? With X2's I've discovered I like non-forward mids and more neutralish tuning with a fun twist. Had to sent my pair back to amazon due to comfort issues, but if I don't find anything similar up to 200$ then I'll probably go back to fidelio's and just change the pads for something more comfy and less lint-magnet.

Feb 13, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #13,948 of 15,268
I accidentally tripped over the wire and my beloved X2's cracked a bit but I thought it was only physical damage. Soon after now my right ear seems to keep losing sound unless i wiggle the wiring. Any ideas how to troubleshoot and fix this?

It is likely a damaged female 3.5mm socket. If you are good at soldering or modding headphones, the socket could be replaced. The trick would be finding the right 3.5mm socket.

Feb 18, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #13,949 of 15,268
Hi guys! My son has had a Fidelio X2 since 2015. The headband and the ear pads are now well-worn. I wonder if there exists a replacement headband for these headphones. Also, are there any ear pads that can be used instead?

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #13,950 of 15,268
Hi guys! My son has had a Fidelio X2 since 2015. The headband and the ear pads are now well-worn. I wonder if there exists a replacement headband for these headphones. Also, are there any ear pads that can be used instead?

Unfortunately, you might be out of luck. Had a buddy who had the exact same problem and we tried searching high and low for factory replacement parts and didn't really have any luck. He ended up just buying another pair of used X2's and jerry rigged something together with his original pair. If you want to take a look the parts number for the ear pads are 996580008847 for the right pad and 996580008846 for the left pad. He tried contacting Philips before and they basically said sorry theres nothing they could do. I've read that most people just glue on after market pads from Dekoni or Brainwavz. With the X3 around the corner and the X2HR at reduced prices it may be a good time to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back