Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 26, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #13,786 of 15,268
You happen to remember if you had any hand written number on the back of your drivers? When i cracked mine open to mod I noticed my X2 had "100" hand written on the back whereas the pics Solderdude posted on his review didn't have anything (IIRC). Everything else seemed exactly the same, including the big globs of glue on the inside of the earcups

My X2HR drivers had a 4 written on them in red Sharpie. There was nothing written on the X2 drivers.

I imagine the hand written numbers are used for driver matching, but that is just a theory.

Dec 27, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #13,787 of 15,268
So I bought a X2HR from Amazon for a price I couldn't pass up ($76). It's one of the new ones (MMD HK Holdings).

Comparing against my Gibson-made X2, I took the X2HR apart and verified under magnification that everything is 100% the same. Same drivers, same magnet size, same vent holes, same weight of mesh used on the rear cup grilles, same headband clamping force, same leather headband construction and material, same suspension headband material and flex, etc.

Sonically, I notice absolutely NO difference in sound. None. IMO, the "HR" was nothing more than a marketing thing.

Anyways, as far as build, they are 100% identical except the pads. The X2HR pads are made with a little bit stiffer memory foam (which is true of all X2HR vs X2). I prefer the softer pads of the original X2, but that's just personal preference.

The other thing that I've always heard was different is the headband. Well, nope it's 100% the same.

Finally, my drivers were angled the correct way. In fact, I don't see how they could be angled the wrong way. There is an alignment pin inside the cups, which makes it impossible to mount them 180 degrees off such that they're angled the opposite direction. The screw holes also wouldn't line up. So I am highly suspicious of claims that some of the new MMD HK Holdings X2HR are coming with the drivers angled the wrong way.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my impressions with everyone. IMO, there should be nothing to fear with the new MMD HK Holdings X2HR headphone. My Gibson X2 is a perfect specimen - the drivers are perfectly matched with one another, the pads are removable, no driver bass 'knock' or distortion (or whatever that low end frequency flaw that a few people have complained about). Everything is cherry with the Gibson, and my MMD HK Holdings X2HR is as cherry as the Gibson X2.

Thanks for doing this!

Hopefully this is the end of speculation about possible differences and we can continue this thread talking about things that does exist in real life :wink:

Dec 27, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #13,788 of 15,268
Thanks for doing this!

Hopefully this is the end of speculation about possible differences and we can continue this thread talking about things that does exist in real life :wink:

Agreed, we’ve had these questions since the X2HR came out 2 years ago.

I’m glad the speculation and unknowns can finally be put to rest!

Dec 27, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #13,790 of 15,268
So I bought a X2HR from Amazon for a price I couldn't pass up ($76). It's one of the new ones (MMD HK Holdings).

Comparing against my Gibson-made X2, I took the X2HR apart and verified under magnification that everything is 100% the same. Same drivers, same magnet size, same vent holes, same weight of mesh used on the rear cup grilles, same headband clamping force, same leather headband construction and material, same suspension headband material and flex, etc.

Sonically, I notice absolutely NO difference in sound. None. IMO, the "HR" was nothing more than a marketing thing.

Anyways, as far as build, they are 100% identical except the pads. The X2HR pads are made with a little bit stiffer memory foam (which is true of all X2HR vs X2). I prefer the softer pads of the original X2, but that's just personal preference.

The other thing that I've always heard was different is the headband. Well, nope it's 100% the same.

Finally, my drivers were angled the correct way. In fact, I don't see how they could be angled the wrong way. There is an alignment pin inside the cups, which makes it impossible to mount them 180 degrees off such that they're angled the opposite direction. The screw holes also wouldn't line up. So I am highly suspicious of claims that some of the new MMD HK Holdings X2HR are coming with the drivers angled the wrong way.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my impressions with everyone. IMO, there should be nothing to fear with the new MMD HK Holdings X2HR headphone. My Gibson X2 is a perfect specimen - the drivers are perfectly matched with one another, the pads are removable, no driver bass 'knock' or distortion (or whatever that low end frequency flaw that a few people have complained about). Everything is cherry with the Gibson, and my MMD HK Holdings X2HR is as cherry as the Gibson X2.

Ahhhhhh...the CABLE...What about the CABLE?! :scream:

Everybody knows the cable is what really matters.
Geez, different Cable AND different Pads -- you've got end-times stuff going on...dogs & cats living together, mass hysteria!!!

Dec 27, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #13,791 of 15,268
My X2HR drivers had a 4 written on them in red Sharpie. There was nothing written on the X2 drivers.

I imagine the hand written numbers are used for driver matching, but that is just a theory.

Driver matching was my theory too. Funny thing was my X2 had the "100" written in red on the left side and the right side was written in blue. In my world red is always right:wink:

Dec 27, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #13,792 of 15,268
Ahhhhhh...the CABLE...What about the CABLE?! :scream:

Everybody knows the cable is what really matters.
Geez, different Cable AND different Pads -- you've got end-times stuff going on...dogs & cats living together, mass hysteria!!!

Re cables, I didn't care for the stock cable at all. It was too long & too microphonic.

1st thing I did when I got my X2s ~4 yrs ago was ditch the stock cable & replace w/a 2M cable from Ghent Audio. It feels better, looks better & actually sounds a bit better. The cable linked below is flexible & sturdy, lacking the annoying fabric covering that makes a cable microphonic. Stock, it comes w/both ends @6.35mm (1/4")...just ask the very helpful owner, Ghent Xu, to provide one end in 3.5mm:

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html

Dec 27, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #13,793 of 15,268
I have had my X2HR for about a month and a half now. First things first, they are as good as all the good reviews I read about them claimed them to be, and WAY better than all the bad reviews...by 'bad reviews' I am referring to all the smack talking that has been going on in the last couple of months specifically. I saw the picture of the 'reversed' driver and it didn't seem plausible for it to have been purchased new from the factory that way for a couple of reasons. Everything on the headphones is directional and fits together in a very precise way, I mean, you can't even put the pads back on 'wrong' because they only go one way, so the idea that the whole assembly was put on backwards is far fetched.
I read a lot about headphones with channel imbalance and mismatched drivers and such...... I suppose there are some out there that are, but I'm betting on many more cases of people not knowing what they are talking about. To put it gently, I read a lot of posts (not here so much, but other places where people talk about headphones) from people that were along the lines of "X2 is my first 'real headphones' coming from a Turtle Beach Soundblaster Xtreme and compared to them the X2 sucks..."
I suspect a lot of the 'channel imbalance' can be chalked up to people not used to a headphone with such a wide soundstage. When I first got mine, on some songs it would sound 'off' and I realized it was because on certain recordings the soundstage is so wide that it creates kind of a split in your head where the music doesn't seem to be unified entirely and that music is coming distinctly from on side of the head or the other. Crossfeed helps with this, but I can see how some people would think one channel was louder or more forward than the other. I compared it to several of my headphones and the X2 is kind of unique in the way it does that, and I could see how someone not having as much experience would find it confusing, and then they jump on Reddit and a bunch of goofballs are talking about how Phillips has horrible QC and blah blah blah, and then this clown adds his voice to the chorus....
To finish up my long rant, I'll just say this:
I had 2 sets of X2HR in my possession, neither of them had a single flaw, I tested both on various amps and I listened to soundtests and neither one of them showed any issues. As far as the sound, they are in some ways better than I had hoped. They are a great 'all arounder', especially for the $100 I paid. I have been looking for something that can kind of do it all (except portability) and the X2HR fits the bill better than I had hoped it would. I was very close to buying the Hifiman Sundara, I had them on loan and they were undeniably very good....except the bass was a little shy, and the soundstage was a little narrower than I like, and they didn't quite fit me right, so they were going to need some mods. The X2hr fixed all those issues and it is easily powered by my phone or laptop. It's a bummer that recently the X2 have been taking a weird PR hit, because they are a fantastic headphone. I would encourage anyone having doubts or whatever, just go back and watch the Tyell video again...his conclusion is something along the lines of 'it's a worthy upgrade from Sennheiser hd600, but with better bass and soundstage"

Dec 28, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #13,795 of 15,268
Tyell was a very good reviewer that wrote for InnerFidelity, but has since retired from the game
"...had it not been for the fact that these are 35 ohm headphones and won't play well with high output tube amplifiers I would have probably knocked them off the wall in favor of these, they are that good" Tyell
I hear what he is saying, but for me, that low impedance actually makes them a better choice over nearly anything in it's class.
here's the video:

Dec 28, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #13,796 of 15,268
Dec 28, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #13,797 of 15,268
Anyone ever had any issues with the drivers on these if listening to music at really loud listening levels?
I've asked around here at various times in the past, but it seems this isn't an issue for most people.
I was hearing quite a loud rattle coming through the right side driver when listening to EDM with every kick of the bass drum, which was too audible to ignore.
It had me thinking maybe I was pushing the volume too far, but then other far cheaper headphones could handle the volume no problem...

I guess why I'm asking again is, I've already sent back 2 pairs with the exact same issue, and tried a few alternative headphones without being satisfied, so I am yet again considering buying another pair of X2's, and maybe just looking for a little bit of assurance before pulling the trigger.
Not sure if it's an "issue" but my X2HR's rattle/buzz in right side driver, however only at really high volumes, which would destroy my hearing. Discovered it only here https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php when testing "quality" and "driver matching" noises. My windows volume slider is always at 100% that's why I was able to notice the rattle in the right driver. Tested my other headphones on that site and they all rattle in right, left or both sides. Can be especially confusing when you want to check your headphones for driver imbalance as the rattle in only one driver tricks our ears into thinking that partucular side is lauder because it make focus on that side. That's why I initially thought there might be driver imbalance in my pair.

Re cables, I didn't care for the stock cable at all. It was too long & too microphonic.
1st thing I did when I got my X2s ~4 yrs ago was ditch the stock cable & replace w/a 2M cable from Ghent Audio. It feels better, looks better & actually sounds a bit better. The cable linked below is flexible & sturdy, lacking the annoying fabric covering that makes a cable microphonic. Stock, it comes w/both ends @6.35mm (1/4")...just ask the very helpful owner, Ghent Xu, to provide one end in 3.5mm:
http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html
Lenght aside the stock cable is of high quality, actually one of the nicer they give you in the box with headphones. Plugged some regular 3,5mm 1.2m cable I borrowed from my brother and the sound was much worse less open more congested worse bass. Immediately went back to stock one. Still want to buy shorter one in the future, but now I'm scared the sound will be worse.

Agreed, we’ve had these questions since the X2HR came out 2 years ago.
I’m glad the speculation and unknowns can finally be put to rest!
I'm sure some X2's batches do sound a bit different than others regardless of them being X2's or X2HR's. There are too many contradicting reviews maybe some folks got harsher units in the high end, others with less bass etc. Same story with HD599's, which I've been listening to 5 pairs so far of which 2 sounded different with anemic bass. It probably depends on driver tuning and matching.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #13,799 of 15,268
Well i have had the original X2's for years now. I have made a few coments in this thread. But it is funny how back in the day for 250 euro they were compared to hd650 and such, and now that they are much cheaper they are considered thrash by some people. I always believed the HR version was just a refresh to the box to keep it up to date, like the new refresh to hd6xx line. As they got cheaper people seem to rate them lower, i dont know why. I believe they should be highly considered as a great audiophile entry for 100-120 euros, they are really great value now. What a time to be alive in this hobby. We got flagships now that are more expensive now than back then, but the entry level got so good for so cheap. I understand that because they are cheap, people got them to check them and were not that impressed coming from something Higher end. But for someone starting the hobby, heck just get some X2's and 100 euros DAC/amp and enjoy great quality for cheap. All in all they are still great and IMO punch Higher than 120 euro mark

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #13,800 of 15,268
and now that they are much cheaper they are considered thrash by some people.
You can't rationalize price tags, especially not on luxury items such as high-end audio equipment. And the unfortunate part is that lots of manufacturers deliberately try to incept their wanted mindset into people regarding their high prices.

Take audioquest's diamond snake oil cables for example. Even if it's near impossible to find any advantage justifying the ridiculous prices, them being so high in the first place makes them automatically more appealing to the people who happen to have that amount of dough laying about. They don't care about objective benefits, they care about having the best of the best.

With the X2's price point steadily shrinking while the HD 650 more or less kept its persistent level for all these years, the unfortunate perception of one being overpriced and too expensive while the other one was always the true OG set in. I'm more than certain that half the people bashing the X2 for its low price have never even heard it before because they simply jump on board the bandwagon.

Why do you think Gucci is so popular?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back