Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 15, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #13,757 of 15,268
I just put some hm5 angled pu pads on the shp9500. I also put brainwavez xl pu pads the k240s. After doing A/B test all day between the three, I think that I don’t like the velour pads on the x2. I also prefer the lighter weight of the akg and 9500. I’m gonna give the kid the x2’s, he will appreciate the increased bass, so win/win!
I had a set of 9500s that I modded...I really liked the way they came out. I'd suggest a custom leather comfort strap. It makes a difference in comfort and sound quality. 9500s.jpg

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #13,758 of 15,268
I know there's been a few companies who puts this headphone together, but that doesn't have to mean actually producing every single part, including the driver. My quastion was strictly regarding the model/number/manufacturer of the driver. It may be produced by philips themselves or sourced from different company. If WOOX was actually making the drover, followed by Gibson, and now TPV then X2 audio quality wasn't consistent across the whole lifespan of X2 / X2HR

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #13,759 of 15,268
I had a set of 9500s that I modded...I really liked the way they came out. I'd suggest a custom leather comfort strap. It makes a difference in comfort and sound quality.
I really like what you've done there .
About your signature : How do you prefer the x2hr to the l2 ? how are the former worse then the later , and viceversa .

ps and how'd they fare against your 325e, that is , why would you reach them over the 325e

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #13,760 of 15,268
I know there's been a few companies who puts together this headphone, but that doesn't have to mean producing every single part, including the driver. My quastion was strictly regarding the driver part model/number/manufacturer. It may be produced by philips themselves or sourced from different company. If WOOX was actually making the drover, followed by Gibson, and now TPV then X2 audio quality wasn't consistent across the whole lifespan of X2 / X2HR
makes sense . hi def headphones are a very sensible argument of equipment to produce . wouldnt say x2 aren't in the league ( of the hi def headphones )

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #13,761 of 15,268
I really like what you've done there .
About your signature : How do you prefer the x2hr to the l2 ? how are the former worse then the later , and viceversa .

ps and how'd they fare against your 325e, that is , why would you reach them over the 325e
the L2 are brighter and they have a narrower soundstage (the L2 does depth really well, it just isn't terribly wide)...the bass really isn't that far off from the X2, they have excellent bass. The mids on the L2 are really good, a little more forward than the X2. If the L2 had the soundstage of the X2 I probably wouldn't have bothered with getting the X2, they are really that good.
The 325e is much more aggressive and in your face. The mids are better on the 325e, they are much more forward. Overall they are much brighter. Ultimately they aren't nearly as comfortable as the X2, the sound signature is more fatiguing, and they don't play well with as many genres as the X2. In the end, I can listen to the X2 for longer and I can switch from listening to the Black Keys to hip hop and then watch a movie and never once think about changing headphones. I love the 325e but they are much more of a 'specific tool', suited for a narrower range of uses.

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #13,762 of 15,268
@Cruelhand Luke Thanks for answering .

I see. I had 325 - they lasted on me literally few days the time for testing ; 325 besides 225, rs1, and finally hp2 and ps1 .
I ended keeping hp2 only in the Grado line , the other were completely useless after . comfort wise / sound signature wise too. Hp2 were a vastly superior headphone which still was musical and did p.r.a.t. and instrumental tones/timbres better then anything else .. but the weight ; and before them I found anything in the prestige line too fatiguing, engaging? yes, but as you mentioned strictly too forward and without a viable use for many genres.

I've grown tired of bulky headphones , cables , gears etc ; and at the end of the day, or the journey, when I need to narrow choices for a reason or another , I will choose ultimate convenience over ultimate sound quality

about Philips ,
I'm sill in the mood to switch the hr2 for the l2 ( which I do not have ) ; always been a fan of the fun sound signature of the Philips even if they're not as razor timed as Grados . And they are very fun to wear for long across a lot of musical genres .
Which is a big plus ( fun for long ) .

I've been a fan of the m2btbk (wireless) lately , it is another very nice equipment from Philips , very scalable with eq too ; I wrote a comparison between them and others ( Fidelio X2 too ) some days ago but eventually when I was alredy finished writing the page got blank for a temporary net site/ page issue , and unlucky I couldn't retrieve the page back.. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #13,764 of 15,268
The 325e is much more aggressive and in your face. The mids are better on the 325e, they are much more forward. Overall they are much brighter. Ultimately they aren't nearly as comfortable as the X2, the sound signature is more fatiguing, and they don't play well with as many genres as the X2. In the end, I can listen to the X2 for longer and I can switch from listening to the Black Keys to hip hop and then watch a movie and never once think about changing headphones. I love the 325e but they are much more of a 'specific tool', suited for a narrower range of uses.

Yeah, that is another reason to like the X2. Whatever you are listening to, it will do just fine. And even when it is later in the evening, you can turn down the volume and still enjoy music as it still maintains nice rumble on the lower end. Great for Movies. Good for games, there may be better options for Everything, but I am yet to find a headphone that does everything as good as the X2 does. Let's say something like the LCD2C, Very immersive in game. Sucks when it comes to competitive games. X2 on the other hand feels immersive enough, but you still don't feel like changing headphones when you want to be more competitive, as it does that well enough as well.

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #13,765 of 15,268
@Cruelhand Luke Thanks for answering .

I've grown tired of bulky headphones , cables , gears etc ; and at the end of the day, or the journey, when I need to narrow choices for a reason or another , I will choose ultimate convenience over ultimate sound quality

about Philips ,
I'm sill in the mood to switch the hr2 for the l2 ( which I do not have ) ; always been a fan of the fun sound signature of the Philips even if they're not as razor timed as Grados . And they are very fun to wear for long across a lot of musical genres .
Which is a big plus ( fun for long ) .
I highly recommend the L2 in your case. I also really like the Phillips sound ...I started with the L2, it was on sale a few years ago for $100. I really liked it, but I wanted a more open soundstage, so I got a set of 9500s. which I loved, once I had modded them pretty heavily. What I could not quite get out of them was enough bass, so when the X2 went on sale for $100 I picked up a set of those and I could not be happier.
The L2 is a great headphone. It is versatile as far as genres, it is very low ohm and very sensitive so it sounds great out of nearly any source. It's designed/styled/ built really well (it reminds me of well built German sports cars I've owned).
If I literally could only keep ONE out of all the headphones I've owned, it would probably be the L2.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #13,766 of 15,268
I highly recommend the L2 in your case. I also really like the Phillips sound ...I started with the L2, it was on sale a few years ago for $100. I really liked it, but I wanted a more open soundstage, so I got a set of 9500s. which I loved, once I had modded them pretty heavily. What I could not quite get out of them was enough bass, so when the X2 went on sale for $100 I picked up a set of those and I could not be happier.
The L2 is a great headphone. It is versatile as far as genres, it is very low ohm and very sensitive so it sounds great out of nearly any source. It's designed/styled/ built really well (it reminds me of well built German sports cars I've owned).
If I literally could only keep ONE out of all the headphones I've owned, it would probably be the L2.
I do not know what it offers though , if any sweet spot worth trying.. : it has a wire ( big minus these days of mine ) , it is somewhat bulky too .. sound quality ok .. but .. I have yet when wired and bulky .. mmmm

Dec 18, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #13,767 of 15,268
convenience would be in his weight (?) / but it will very likely be no match for the fidelio m2btbk ( wich , btw , is also looking stylish modern and less chunky )

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #13,769 of 15,268
convenience would be in his weight (?) / but it will very likely be no match for the fidelio m2btbk ( wich , btw , is also looking stylish modern and less chunky )
I'm not sure what you are basing your opinion on, but the L2 is not bulky or heavy in any way. It's very lightweight and compact for an over ear. It's honestly about as streamlined, lightweight and small as you can get and still be an over ear. If it's not small enough for you then you are stuck with on ear headphones, like the M2.
In terms of sound quality, I have heard good things about them, but it's definitely not as good as the L2. I doubt there is a bluetooth on ear headphone out there that sounds as good as the L2.

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #13,770 of 15,268
I'm not sure what you are basing your opinion on, but the L2 is not bulky or heavy in any way. It's very lightweight and compact for an over ear. It's honestly about as streamlined, lightweight and small as you can get and still be an over ear. If it's not small enough for you then you are stuck with on ear headphones, like the M2.
In terms of sound quality, I have heard good things about them, but it's definitely not as good as the L2. I doubt there is a bluetooth on ear headphone out there that sounds as good as the L2.
I wrote a II time a small headup featuring also a comparison between m2mkbk wireless / lossless closed sound and X2HR open sound - along hd600 regular / balanced / hp2 , for the II time the page got blank . I suppose I better not post this comparo lol it's in the stars I won't be able to post it .

anyhow , m2mkbk have a very decent dac and sound signature on APTX sources , I'm surprised also on how they scale on gears ( with cable this time .. but they sound very fine and refined too right from lossless+aptx wireless ) ; and I wouldn't dismiss them so lightly if I were you . In fact they can be properly eq'd without evident distortions - which is an pro-studio heapdhones quality ), and also they give a hint of the (in)famous Grado sound from fabric, or at least their famour p.r.a.t and warm tone , sans the added aggressive edge ( and a lower/ worse dynamic range too -but even HD600 balanced express worse and narrower dynamics then Grado reference/upper series ). The bass quality on the m2mkbk - again on wireless and properly eq'd on aptx lossless sources is not bad ; the bass is percussive and the lower frqs beat is deep and tight enough , the resolving power and range of the lower freqs is good and suprising for being a wireless integrated product . This with lush smooth still detailed mids and a rolled off top end , make them very versatile .
The price after 2 weeks of testing do not surprise me . they are a quality product and if it was not for the rolled highs , they would be on par with some middle range studio monitor headphones ( not exotic gears..) I had before , they really have some qualities. You don't have to carry around an amp or a dac , did I say that ?, as they have both of them built in , and they've been engineered with an hd source and hi-fi sound in mind for that source . the result is there , convenient but foremost definitely appreciable .

about the L2 , portable >> with cable :frowning2: << I'm not sure I would put them on use or heavy duty like I do with the m2mkbk, or the opposite that they'd stay in the house for a short time ( test&dismiss ? ) - not even sure how people can still choose a cabled headphone in the wireless era when the choice is about portability .. probably a limited portability need. But I've grown curious on the difference with the X2HR , as I suppose they still retain the "fun" Philips factor + some amp/eq can flash out a -maybe- tighter bass then the X2HR , as there are different opinion around on which one of the two is the better sound quality wise . I suspect tonal balance is better on the l2 , and the fact that price isn't going down and people are keeping them for years changing pads etc , without the need for changing them for something else , tells me some extra quality has been reached in sound design and research . Wonder also what L3 will be about , and when ..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back