Philips Fidelio X2?!
Dec 14, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #13,741 of 15,268
It must be the amp I am using. Just upgraded from Fostex HPA4BL to Sabaj D5 and can drive all my headphones fine. Cannot poo poo earphones or headphones due to driving sources

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #13,742 of 15,268
New future owner of H2HR here :) I've just bought them for 103 Euros / 115 US dollars. Didn't really need another open backs, but I couldn't resist black friday deal and I'm curious how these compete with my HD599.

let us know your thoughts, I would like to read about that comparison

Just got my X2HR today... I may be in the minority here, but because of the stronger head clamping force of the X2HR, I actually find SHP9500 more comfortable in extended use. And the improvement in bass that I was hoping for over SHP9500, well, I feel like it's barely noticeable - still not nearly enough for my liking, but of course that's very subjective and a matter of personal preference. Maybe I don't have a good enough amp for it? So far I've tried it with Shanling M3s DAP, Fiio Q1 portable amp, and a Denon S740H receiver. Movie watching with the Denon is quite enjoyable, but music listening lacks some bass/midbass punch/fullness.

I was pretty sure I was going to send the SHP9500 back after getting the X2HR, but now I am reconsidering.

comfort shp9500 is better imo. x2hr is not bad though in that regard. x2hr has noticeably more bass imo though, maybe you listen at too low level a volume? don't damage your ears or anything, but sometimes headphones do need a little volume knob turn to get the bass hits.

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #13,743 of 15,268
comfort shp9500 is better imo. x2hr is not bad though in that regard. x2hr has noticeably more bass imo though, maybe you listen at too low level a volume? don't damage your ears or anything, but sometimes headphones do need a little volume knob turn to get the bass hits.
To be fair this is the exact reason I love the X2. You don't have to turn the volume to dumb levels to enjoy some bass. Even on low volumes you got a nice rumble.

Personally didn't find SHP9500 all that comfortable and the sound signature reminded me a lot of Sennheisers. Not my cup of tea.

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #13,744 of 15,268
I just put some hm5 angled pu pads on the shp9500. I also put brainwavez xl pu pads the k240s. After doing A/B test all day between the three, I think that I don’t like the velour pads on the x2. I also prefer the lighter weight of the akg and 9500. I’m gonna give the kid the x2’s, he will appreciate the increased bass, so win/win!

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #13,745 of 15,268
maybe you listen at too low level a volume? don't damage your ears or anything, but sometimes headphones do need a little volume knob turn to get the bass hits.
Nope, it does not get any better at higher volume. The bass is still weak. I suppose it's about my point of reference and somewhat unrealistic bass head expectations. My previous cans were AT ATH-M50. :)

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #13,746 of 15,268
Ugh... you guys made me do it... I just ordered X2HR because the lack of bass when listening to music with SHP9500 was starting to bother me. If the X2HR feel as comfortable in extended use as SHP9500, I'll be sending the SHP9500 back.
Doing some more extended listening yesterday and today, it became obvious the X2HR are just not a good fit for me. They exert too much pressure on my head around my ears, causing a mild nauseating sensation, plus they make my ears feel pretty hot after a while. I find the SHP9500 significantly more comfortable, especially during longer use sessions.

Yes, the X2HR have a little more bass, but still not enough for my preference. But as long as I stick to just using them for voice calls, which was my original job for these cans, the whole bass aspect becomes irrelevant, and so I think the SHP9500 will work better for me due to much better comfort. Unless there is another open-back headphone out there that offers similar comfort to SHP9500 and much better bass in around $100 price range...?

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #13,747 of 15,268
Doing some more extended listening yesterday and today, it became obvious the X2HR are just not a good fit for me. They exert too much pressure on my head around my ears, causing a mild nauseating sensation, plus they make my ears feel pretty hot after a while. I find the SHP9500 significantly more comfortable, especially during longer use sessions.

Yes, the X2HR have a little more bass, but still not enough for my preference. But as long as I stick to just using them for voice calls, which was my original job for these cans, the whole bass aspect becomes irrelevant, and so I think the SHP9500 will work better for me due to much better comfort. Unless there is another open-back headphone out there that offers similar comfort to SHP9500 and much better bass in around $100 price range...?

Comfort is subjective, end of story.

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #13,749 of 15,268

It should be possible to reduce the clamp with some slight bending of the headband rods - although if you're considering a return, it might not be worth a try.
BTW: you can find another review of the x2hr here: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #13,750 of 15,268

You need to stretch them a bit in the beginning and then they will break in nicely.

Dec 15, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #13,752 of 15,268
Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #13,754 of 15,268
Does anyone know what type of drivers are sitting in X2HR? Onkyo?

Philips had a division called WOOX Innovations that they sold to Gibson (Guitar maker) in 2014. Originally Philips headphones were made by WOOX. WOOX became Gibson Innovations. Gibson Innovations also made a number of Onkyo headphones such as the terrific A800. Gibson went bankrupt in 2018. Philips re-acquired it’s audio-video product production rights. Gibson had a controlling interest in Onkyo (no longer). Not sure who is making Onkyo headphones right now, but I don’t think they’re connected to Philips anymore.

Dec 15, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #13,755 of 15,268
Philips had a division called WOOX Innovations that they sold to Gibson (Guitar maker) in 2014. Originally Philips headphones were made by WOOX. WOOX became Gibson Innovations. Gibson Innovations also made a number of Onkyo headphones such as the terrific A800. Gibson went bankrupt in 2018. Philips re-acquired it’s audio-video product production rights. Gibson had a controlling interest in Onkyo (no longer). Not sure who is making Onkyo headphones right now, but I don’t think they’re connected to Philips anymore.
The manufacturing license was sold to TPV Technology, already familiar to Phillips as they also make their TVs and computer monitors. TPV is listed in my X2HR packaging too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back