Philips Fidelio X2?!
Aug 25, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #13,562 of 15,268
I can easily tell apart the X2 being driven by a dac/amp combo like Sabaj Da2 and my modo MB/vali 2. The imagino is much better and the bass especialy is way more controled. So they might not scale as some HP's but there is a real difference between better sources and amps.

Aug 25, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #13,563 of 15,268
I also have a dac, SMSL M3. There is a difference vs mobo (alc 1150), mostly in bass control and definition. But difference is rather small, it's not like night and day. Current mobos and inbuilt dacs are quite decent, it's not like 10-15 years ago where even a 50-70 bucks pcie soundcard was a noticeable improvement.
Where you still get nice improvements is with amps But as X2 are so easy to run, you will not benefit from it. In fact, my SMSL M3 powered by usb is already overkill. Tidal volume at 20% and knob at 1/3 is already decent volume.

Aug 25, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #13,564 of 15,268
My phone is plenty enough to give volume to the X2, however power is not all. The Sabaj Da2 has more than enough power to the X2, but the modi MB and vali 2 gives much better sound. The smsl m3 is not that great. It is good for the price but that is about it. People should not assume that because an amp gives enough volume, that is enough to get the headphone to its full capacity. Look at the HD600, even an smsl m3 gives enough volume, but it will be better with better gear. The X2 Will be better as well, and so will be other headphones

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #13,565 of 15,268
I also have a dac, SMSL M3. There is a difference vs mobo (alc 1150), mostly in bass control and definition. But difference is rather small, it's not like night and day. Current mobos and inbuilt dacs are quite decent, it's not like 10-15 years ago where even a 50-70 bucks pcie soundcard was a noticeable improvement.
Where you still get nice improvements is with amps But as X2 are so easy to run, you will not benefit from it. In fact, my SMSL M3 powered by usb is already overkill. Tidal volume at 20% and knob at 1/3 is already decent volume.
I'm gonna need a DAC too, as I have the most barebones cheap MoBo from 2011 in my system rn.

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #13,567 of 15,268
Hi.

First time poster here :)

I posted the following query (below) on reddit earlier and having now found this specific X2 thread here am hoping to get a definitive answer.

Long story short; can the Fidelio X2HR receive a balanced signal from a balanced amp (Loxjie P20) with the appropriate balanced cables into the 3.5mm?

Somebody on reddit thinks there that the X2 cannot. As a novice audiophile I have no idea but, perhaps naively, thought it was possible :D

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I currently have the Sabaj PHA3 tube amp (unbalanced) which is powering my Fidelio X2HR.

I am wanting to get the well reviewed Loxjie P20 balanced tube amp, my first entry into the contentious world of balanced headphones to what what the fuss is or isn't about :)

Although the Loxjie P20 has a 3.5mm unbalanced output seemingy all reviews say it is not upto scratch and to use the balanced output only.

However, as a non electrical engineer, but despite extensive googling, I am unsure *exactly* what i need to order for the cabling. Can i buy from China (not expensive custom made) a 4 pin male XLR to 4 pole male 3.5mm? Or should I buy a 4 pin male XLR to 3.5mm female adapter and then buy a seperate 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male 4 pole cable to connect into the headphones?

Thanks in advance for any help and for any links to appropriate products :)

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #13,568 of 15,268
Hi.

First time poster here :)

I posted the following query (below) on reddit earlier and having now found this specific X2 thread here am hoping to get a definitive answer.

Long story short; can the Fidelio X2HR receive a balanced signal from a balanced amp (Loxjie P20) with the appropriate balanced cables into the 3.5mm?

Somebody on reddit thinks there that the X2 cannot. As a novice audiophile I have no idea but, perhaps naively, thought it was possible :D

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I currently have the Sabaj PHA3 tube amp (unbalanced) which is powering my Fidelio X2HR.

I am wanting to get the well reviewed Loxjie P20 balanced tube amp, my first entry into the contentious world of balanced headphones to what what the fuss is or isn't about :)

Although the Loxjie P20 has a 3.5mm unbalanced output seemingy all reviews say it is not upto scratch and to use the balanced output only.

However, as a non electrical engineer, but despite extensive googling, I am unsure *exactly* what i need to order for the cabling. Can i buy from China (not expensive custom made) a 4 pin male XLR to 4 pole male 3.5mm? Or should I buy a 4 pin male XLR to 3.5mm female adapter and then buy a seperate 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male 4 pole cable to connect into the headphones?

Thanks in advance for any help and for any links to appropriate products :)

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #13,569 of 15,268
Unfortunately the 3.5mm jack on the X2 is only wired for 3-pole unbalanced, sharing a ground for both left and right driver. Unless you open up the headphones and rewire the drivers separately, you won't be able to run them balanced.

Sep 12, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #13,572 of 15,268
can the Fidelio X2HR receive a balanced signal from a balanced amp (Loxjie P20) with the appropriate balanced cables into the 3.5mm?

Unfortunately the 3.5mm jack on the X2 is only wired for 3-pole unbalanced, sharing a ground for both left and right driver. Unless you open up the headphones and rewire the drivers separately, you won't be able to run them balanced.

As @cobyatch pointed out, there is no way to run the X2 balanced unless it’s modded.

No amount of janky adapters and converters will do it. It’s impossible to take a headphone that has a shared ground and ‘convert’ it to balanced using adapters. It MUST be rewired.

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #13,573 of 15,268
As @cobyatch pointed out, there is no way to run the X2 balanced unless it’s modded.

No amount of janky adapters and converters will do it. It’s impossible to take a headphone that has a shared ground and ‘convert’ it to balanced using adapters. It MUST be rewired.

Or just check out the X3 thread… it uses a dual cable wiring so balanced should be possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back