Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 26, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #13,578 of 15,268
I purchased the X2/27 a little over a year ago for $310 and I just couldn't get over paying that much for them. They sounded good and were made very well but I found them a bit heavy and ended up returning them.
I have a nice little collection of full size cans right now, DT880, DT990, HE400i, K612, HD681 EVO & HD668b but you know how it is. I saw the X2HR on Amazon for $149.99 free shipping no tax...well they arrived today and first thing I noticed was they felt a bit lighter than I thought they would. I remember getting a little fatigue from them after a while and thought great maybe they lightened them up a bit. They weight almost exactly the same as my HE400i. I plugged them into my SS setup, Keces amp & DAC and let a disc play while they lay on my desk. Came back after a while and must say they sound great! I was worried about a little lack of detail and mids but not so from the first disc I listened to, Bela Fleck ~ Three Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Nice bass and the banjo sounded pretty good as well. Definitely bass oriented but impressive so far. Will listen thru my tube and hybrid setups also.
I'll report back after some extended sessions but for 150 a no brainer IMHO

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #13,579 of 15,268
I purchased the X2/27 a little over a year ago for $310 and I just couldn't get over paying that much for them. They sounded good and were made very well but I found them a bit heavy and ended up returning them.
I have a nice little collection of full size cans right now, DT880, DT990, HE400i, K612, HD681 EVO & HD668b but you know how it is. I saw the X2HR on Amazon for $149.99 free shipping no tax...well they arrived today and first thing I noticed was they felt a bit lighter than I thought they would. I remember getting a little fatigue from them after a while and thought great maybe they lightened them up a bit. They weight almost exactly the same as my HE400i. I plugged them into my SS setup, Keces amp & DAC and let a disc play while they lay on my desk. Came back after a while and must say they sound great! I was worried about a little lack of detail and mids but not so from the first disc I listened to, Bela Fleck ~ Three Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Nice bass and the banjo sounded pretty good as well. Definitely bass oriented but impressive so far. Will listen thru my tube and hybrid setups also.
I'll report back after some extended sessions but for 150 a no brainer IMHO

Very interesting. This is the first time I’ve heard that the X2HR is noticeably lighter than the original X2. I know the HR has slightly different earpad and headband material, but I can’t imagine that would make a significant weight difference.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #13,580 of 15,268
Not sure it is indeed lighter as I didn't weigh my original X2 but these feel lighter to me, I've had them on all night and no fatigue as of yet.
BTW these things are fantastic with metal! Listening to a little Dream Theater and Black Light Syndrome...:L3000:

Sep 27, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #13,581 of 15,268
Does it matter which way my cable is plugged in on the X2HR? Fidelio logo plug to the amp or hp cup? I've seen it both ways in pics...sometimes cables have a direction arrows and even if I don't know exactly why I follow them.

Sep 27, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #13,582 of 15,268
Does it matter which way my cable is plugged in on the X2HR? Fidelio logo plug to the amp or hp cup? I've seen it both ways in pics...sometimes cables have a direction arrows and even if I don't know exactly why I follow them.

It shouldn't matter. The electrons will flow in either direction :)

Sep 28, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #13,583 of 15,268
OK so most definitely these are great with Metal, funny thing though they sound freakin' glorious with Dream Theater Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence but not with Images and Words...
This was on my hybrid setup, Loxjie amp & SMSL SU-8 DAC. Gonna try going back to the SS Keces setup.
BTW Situation Dangerous and Black Light Syndrome are epic!!! These have me listening to Metal again...

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #13,584 of 15,268
OK forget that comment about Images & Words, on the Keces stack it sounds mucho more better. Wow... these seem to be system dependent...
Might explain some YouTube reviews...

Sep 28, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #13,585 of 15,268
Yerp sounds like $#!T on my Loxjie\SU-8 rig and fantastic on the Keces stack, no question that the equipment is making a huge impact on sound. Maybe the Loxjie amp no like the low impedance of the X2HR? Any tech people like to chime in here?

Oct 2, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #13,586 of 15,268
Yerp sounds like $#!T on my Loxjie\SU-8 rig and fantastic on the Keces stack, no question that the equipment is making a huge impact on sound. Maybe the Loxjie amp no like the low impedance of the X2HR? Any tech people like to chime in here?
Loxjie D20 has an output impedance of +20ohms, and I've seen people reporting even higher values for P20 amp. Such high values never work well with low impedance headphones like the X2, as they modify frequency response and bass reproduction. No wonder you can feel a difference.

Oct 3, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #13,587 of 15,268
FYI My Superlux EVO actually give the X2HR a run. The X2HR are superior in the finer separation and detail resolution but the EVO is also bass oriented and comes a little too close. The EVO is a little more center of your head soundstage where the X2HR sounds more expansive.
The problem for the X2HR is I paid like 25 bucks for my EVO's! I scored the X2HR as well @ 150 even. My first EVO headband broke so a big @$$ strike against them for that.
The X2HR is built so well it's crazy that it sells for the price it does. I think the 50% price drop is due to the switching companies issue and the glue thing. I'm grateful to have both but if I were a poor man I'd be OK with the EVO if I didn't have the scharole for the X2HR.
BTW demoed both with the first track on Dream Theater ~ Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, great metal demo track.

System = Keces amp & DAC, NAD C542

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back