Philips Fidelio X2?!
Aug 25, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #13,141 of 15,268
Has anyone had a chance to compare the X2 to the Modhouse Argons?

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #13,142 of 15,268
Got these a few Father's Day back, still a great headphone!
8875903682706229783.jpg
Rocking out to some Chili Peppers, good can-o-sound!

But wait....THIS!!!
ultima thule 1.jpg ultima thule 2.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #13,143 of 15,268
I was away from my system for ~3.5 weeks w/no access to any of my good headphones or amps. A couple days after returning, I put on the X2s for the first time in months and plugged into the V281. It was a wise choice for some re-entry listening: the somewhat warm, bassy sound signature is relaxing & welcoming. I had the typical X2 experience:
  • Began listening somewhat critically, focusing on this or that sonic characteristic
  • Very soon, forgot about listening critically & just appreciated the music
  • Time passed unnoticed when I'm wearing these big, comfortable headphones...I end up more relaxed and tuned into the music
These are great headphones. I have others that walk all over the X2s in various technical ways, but it hardly matters--the X2s are musical & fun.

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #13,146 of 15,268
@Pharmaboy - I feel ya mate, X2's hardly get in the usual rotations but thought I'd give 'em a go this time round. Smooth and Musical should be the words I seek, they can be detailed but not overly critical.

I dare Philips to give us a X3, give them a bigger budget and go to town. Seriously, the X1/X2 R/D showed that they can produce good quality headphones. Imagine an X2 that puts out similar specs to a HD800 but with Philips tuning.

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #13,148 of 15,268
@Amuria Iris - Good points, yeah...the X2's are a whole lot of Headphone! Looking at myself in the mirror with the X2's on can get me to PMSL. :D

Can you believe that one of the changes from the X1 to the X2 was the head band, I believe they increased it!

That feeling you're experiencing is called "Quickening"! (sorry, Highlander joke :D) Seriously though, the X2's has ample midbass punch, which is fairly fast and dynamic. What music did you listen to while testing them? If it was EDM or bass heavy tracks then your brain/ears would be getting a clobbering.

If you're looking for something similar to the X2's but more neutral, then maybe looking for these by Philips also: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500S-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW

If you're still searching for other similar types then perhaps from the Sennheiser range i.e. HD58x/600/650/6XX.

Tyll, back in the day, did a great write-up on the X2's. He goes in to a bit of background in to how Philips came about with the Fidelio range. Worth a read with you're keen: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2

Sep 1, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #13,149 of 15,268
Fwiw the headphones that I've found to be the best direct upgrade from the X2's that I've found is the Onkyo A800 They're also quite heavy though but for me the weight is much more evenly distributed than with the X2's. The X2's also fit a bit loose on my small head while the A800 feels very secure.

Sep 1, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #13,150 of 15,268
Fwiw the headphones that I've found to be the best direct upgrade from the X2's that I've found is the Onkyo A800 They're also quite heavy though but for me the weight is much more evenly distributed than with the X2's. The X2's also fit a bit loose on my small head while the A800 feels very secure.

Oops! Just bought a Onkyo A800. Peter, you are a bad influence!

Would you agree with this review https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones..._flagship_a800_headphones_review_hd_600_with/

How much time are you spending with it and where is it in the pecking order - when you have some good gear like the HD800S and HE560?

(I love clear mids with good presence)

Sep 1, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #13,152 of 15,268
I had the chance to try the X2's while visiting my brother. I really enjoyed how comfortable they were and the fun V sound they had. I was coming from HD 6XX's. I ended up purchasing some to have as a complimentary set to my 6XX's. I listen to mostly electronic music and I play a lot of Fortnite as well. The X2 has a great sound signature for both of these uses IMO. They are very easy to drive HPs, headphone port on PC does just fine. They sound great on my Magni 3. I recently purchased a Schiit Valhalla 2 and they sound good on that as well, however they don't pair with the AMP nearly as good as the HD 6XX's. I'm considering trying out the Asgard 2 instead of the Valhalla 2 as I've heard it's a comparable sound to the Valhalla 2, and I could avoid the OTL 'compatibility' issue with the X2's. Anyone have any experience/advice about using X2s with an OTL tube amp? Overall I'm very new to the audio scene, but I just feel like the X2's could do better with an SS amp.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #13,153 of 15,268
I had the chance to try the X2's while visiting my brother. I really enjoyed how comfortable they were and the fun V sound they had. I was coming from HD 6XX's. I ended up purchasing some to have as a complimentary set to my 6XX's. I listen to mostly electronic music and I play a lot of Fortnite as well. The X2 has a great sound signature for both of these uses IMO. They are very easy to drive HPs, headphone port on PC does just fine. They sound great on my Magni 3. I recently purchased a Schiit Valhalla 2 and they sound good on that as well, however they don't pair with the AMP nearly as good as the HD 6XX's. I'm considering trying out the Asgard 2 instead of the Valhalla 2 as I've heard it's a comparable sound to the Valhalla 2, and I could avoid the OTL 'compatibility' issue with the X2's. Anyone have any experience/advice about using X2s with an OTL tube amp? Overall I'm very new to the audio scene, but I just feel like the X2's could do better with an SS amp.
For me, thex2's are good for many other types of music; but as an open back for electronic music, I think they really shine.

Sep 1, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #13,154 of 15,268
The X2 and the HD6XX have very different power requirements, so if you want an amp that can run both, it needs to be able to scale well. Not every amp can do that. Tube hybrids or a well-designed A (or AB) class SS amp have better luck in that area. The Massdrop CTH would be a good place to start, imho.

Sep 1, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #13,155 of 15,268

I tried my X2s with the Woo WA2 OTL. Just as happened with all other low impedance headphones, it was not a good match: the already full bass/midbass got more full (too full). In the midrange and above the sound was very nice, all those tube goodies (more 3D, palpable, dimensional, etc). But overall, it was not a successful pairing.

By contrast, the X2s sound splendid on every one of my SS amps, from the lowest power to the highest. They even sound amazing on a somewhat warm SS amp that (at least on paper) shouldn't be a good match for them--the Liquid Carbon v2 (terrific sound).

Any competent SS amp should do just fine w/your X2s. And so should any good hybrid tube/SS amp, because (unlike an OTL tube amp), it will be a good impedance match w/the the X2s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back