Philips Fidelio X2?!
May 7, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #13,051 of 15,268
Exactly. Super thick and soft pads like that =) But with a big enough inner diameter to fit my entire ear.

OK. I have a pair coming for another headphone. When they arrive, I will compare them with the X2 and see how well they would fit.

I forget what that style was originally designed for; I think a Sony basshead can or something. But I have seen the pads advertised as fitting on a variety of headphones with large cups like the X2 (AKG models and others).

I will keep you posted.

May 7, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #13,052 of 15,268
OK. I have a pair coming for another headphone. When they arrive, I will compare them with the X2 and see how well they would fit.

I forget what that style was originally designed for; I think a Sony basshead can or something. But I have seen the pads advertised as fitting on a variety of headphones with large cups like the X2 (AKG models and others).

I will keep you posted.
Thanks a lot =)

Looking forward to it.

May 12, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #13,054 of 15,268
Thanks a lot =)

Looking forward to it.

OK, Sony XB700 pads arrived. They will work fine on the Fidelio X2. You need to remove the stock pads from the headphones, and then peel off the stock pad (and memory foam) from the plastic "frame" that attaches the stock pad to the X2. You will be reusing the stock plastic frame. Then you simply glue the XB700 pad to the stock plastic frame (rubber cement or silicone adhesive would work). Let dry thoroughly and reinstall back onto the headphones. The XB700 pads are basically a perfect fit for the plastic frame, as they are the same diameter as stock (110mm).

If you want to go slightly bigger (and yet still fit since you are gluing them on), get the XB1000 pads. They are the true king of pads at 120mm.

I don't have any photos because I didn't do it for real. Once you peel off the stock pads from the plastic frame, there is no going back (except maybe gluing the stock pads back onto the plastic frame like they were originally).

No clue how either would sound though. I would imagine very bassy, based on their thickness, the fact that you'd likely get an awesome seal due to their design, and the pad material being protein leather vs velour. You'd just have to try it and find out.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #13,055 of 15,268
Well I have had the X2 for a while but eventually sold them because I purchased some Oriveti New Primacy with a Effect Audio ii cable and spinfits and simply enjoyed what I was hearing more from the ONP. Something has always itched my brain though and always been curious to how the Fidelio L2 sound compared to the X2. I know the X2 has a wider soundstage but from reviews and impressions many have said that the L2 is clearer, more detailed and more precise in its performance. So if anyone own the two, could you please do a quick comparison? I'd be using the L2 at home with my Fiio Q5 and Elemental Watson. So far, my mind says I should have gone for the L2 as after time I realised I like clarity and transparency over bass. No I am not a bass head but I do enjoy a good amount but maybe even the X2 was a tad to much sometimes. So how much clearer, cleaner and more detailed is the L2 when compared to the X2? Reviews seem great but I want to hear some opinions before I go for it. :)

May 14, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #13,056 of 15,268
Well I have had the X2 for a while but eventually sold them because I purchased some Oriveti New Primacy with a Effect Audio ii cable and spinfits and simply enjoyed what I was hearing more from the ONP. Something has always itched my brain though and always been curious to how the Fidelio L2 sound compared to the X2. I know the X2 has a wider soundstage but from reviews and impressions many have said that the L2 is clearer, more detailed and more precise in its performance. So if anyone own the two, could you please do a quick comparison? I'd be using the L2 at home with my Fiio Q5 and Elemental Watson. So far, my mind says I should have gone for the L2 as after time I realised I like clarity and transparency over bass. No I am not a bass head but I do enjoy a good amount but maybe even the X2 was a tad to much sometimes. So how much clearer, cleaner and more detailed is the L2 when compared to the X2? Reviews seem great but I want to hear some opinions before I go for it. :)

I haven't heard the L2. But I did hear the L1 (its predecessor) at some length, and compared it to my X2s. Basically, what you said about the L2 is also true of the L1: it's more precise, detailed, and less spacious & relaxed. L1 has terrific bass, shockingly good for an open design (that includes a nice dose of sub-bass). The upper mids were close to peaky/sharp and could get pushed over the line by the wrong amp or music.

If the L2 is anything like the L1 (it is said to be similar), you might like it. Another candidate would be Blue Lola (Massdrop is having a drop right now.). Not the most comfortable HP I've ever worn (neither is the rather small L1)--but it does everything right sonically. It's closed, however.

May 14, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #13,057 of 15,268
I haven't heard the L2. But I did hear the L1 (its predecessor) at some length, and compared it to my X2s. Basically, what you said about the L2 is also true of the L1: it's more precise, detailed, and less spacious & relaxed. L1 has terrific bass, shockingly good for an open design (that includes a nice dose of sub-bass). The upper mids were close to peaky/sharp and could get pushed over the line by the wrong amp or music.

If the L2 is anything like the L1 (it is said to be similar), you might like it. Another candidate would be Blue Lola (Massdrop is having a drop right now.). Not the most comfortable HP I've ever worn (neither is the rather small L1)--but it does everything right sonically. It's closed, however.

Thanks, Pharmaboy, I have the X2, which I really do like, the L2 sounds like a good 'phone, too! I'll be on the lookout for used sets, though...

May 14, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #13,058 of 15,268
Thanks, Pharmaboy, I have the X2, which I really do like, the L2 sounds like a good 'phone, too! I'll be on the lookout for used sets, though...

Fwiw I'll add a different experience :wink:

I also love the X2's but found the L1 to be terrible headphones and ended up giving them to a colleague of mine.

Overblown midbass and congested soundstage was my main impression of them. Please remember that I normally don't care much about closed headphones and the presentation of the L1 (despite being semi open) reminded me a lot about a closed headphone.

A good time after I had gifted the L1 I had the chance to demo the L2 and to my great surprise (after reading a lot of praise of them and a lot of people mentioning them being a clear upgrade to the L1) I found them to sound extremely similar to the L1. Remember thiat my audio memory is very unreliable though.

Please also know that I find the Meze 99C to have way too much midbass for my liking with the stock pads so I'm probably the odd one here :wink:

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #13,059 of 15,268
Fwiw I'll add a different experience :wink:

I also love the X2's but found the L1 to be terrible headphones and ended up giving them to a colleague of mine.

Overblown midbass and congested soundstage was my main impression of them. Please remember that I normally don't care much about closed headphones and the presentation of the L1 (despite being semi open) reminded me a lot about a closed headphone.

A good time after I had gifted the L1 I had the chance to demo the L2 and to my great surprise (after reading a lot of praise of them and a lot of people mentioning them being a clear upgrade to the L1) I found them to sound extremely similar to the L1. Remember thiat my audio memory is very unreliable though.

Please also know that I find the Meze 99C to have way too much midbass for my liking with the stock pads so I'm probably the odd one here :wink:

Always good to have a different perspective, @peter123 :)

I've not heard the Meze 99C, although honestly, from the reviews I've read, I suspect I might rather like them a lot.

To be clear, nothing I've read makes me think the L2 sounds like the X2, just that it also seems, at least from some accounts, to have that Fidelio magic.

@peter123 have you ever heard the on-ear Fidelio M1 MKII?

May 14, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #13,060 of 15,268
Always good to have a different perspective, @peter123 :)

I've not heard the Meze 99C, although honestly, from the reviews I've read, I suspect I might rather like them a lot.

To be clear, nothing I've read makes me think the L2 sounds like the X2, just that it also seems, at least from some accounts, to have that Fidelio magic.

@peter123 have you ever heard the on-ear Fidelio M1 MKII?

No, I'm sorry I've got no experience with the M1 MKII :frowning2:

May 14, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #13,061 of 15,268
OK, Sony XB700 pads arrived. They will work fine on the Fidelio X2. You need to remove the stock pads from the headphones, and then peel off the stock pad (and memory foam) from the plastic "frame" that attaches the stock pad to the X2. You will be reusing the stock plastic frame. Then you simply glue the XB700 pad to the stock plastic frame (rubber cement or silicone adhesive would work). Let dry thoroughly and reinstall back onto the headphones. The XB700 pads are basically a perfect fit for the plastic frame, as they are the same diameter as stock (110mm).

If you want to go slightly bigger (and yet still fit since you are gluing them on), get the XB1000 pads. They are the true king of pads at 120mm.

I don't have any photos because I didn't do it for real. Once you peel off the stock pads from the plastic frame, there is no going back (except maybe gluing the stock pads back onto the plastic frame like they were originally).

No clue how either would sound though. I would imagine very bassy, based on their thickness, the fact that you'd likely get an awesome seal due to their design, and the pad material being protein leather vs velour. You'd just have to try it and find out.

I hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply :)

But i do not have the stock pads. I lost them during one of my 3 moves the last year.

May 14, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #13,062 of 15,268
Thanks for the reply :)

But i do not have the stock pads. I lost them during one of my 3 moves the last year.

Oh, well then the XB700/XB1000 pads aren't going to work because they require the stock plastic frame. The XB700/1000 pads are totally lacking the back part of the pad that 'wraps around' ear cups.

The part indicated by the arrow:

Untitled drawing (1).jpg

You can, however, stretch 100mm or 105mm pads over the cup. It's a tight fit, but it works well (and the 4 plastic posts don't get in the way). I don't know what size the Brainwavz round pads are (they have a regular and XL size), but if they are 100mm-105mm they would work fine. And those come in velour, sheepskin, hybrid, and protein leather. If I was in your situation (ie no stock pads at all), that's the route I would take.

I don't have easy access to 110mm pads right now, so I can't tell you if they would work or they would be too loose. My guess is that they'd be too loose, but that's only a guess at this point. The stock pads are 110mm though, but not that they're glued onto the plastic frame, not wraparound style. So I don't trust that as verification that 110mm universal wraparound pads would work.

If 110mm pads were too loose to work as-is, and you had access to a 3D printer, it would be easy to make an adapter ring that would snap on and make 110mm pads work perfectly. Or heck, you could even glue the XB700/XB1000 to the same adapters.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #13,063 of 15,268
Oh, well then the XB700/XB1000 pads aren't going to work because they require the stock plastic frame. The XB700/1000 pads are totally lacking the back part of the pad that 'wraps around' ear cups.

The part indicated by the arrow:

You can, however, stretch 100mm or 105mm pads over the cup. It's a tight fit, but it works well (and the 4 plastic posts don't get in the way). I don't know what size the Brainwavz round pads are (they have a regular and XL size), but if they are 100mm-105mm they would work fine. And those come in velour, sheepskin, hybrid, and protein leather. If I was in your situation (ie no stock pads at all), that's the route I would take.

I agree. I've actually done this: stretched the 100mm Brainwavz round pleather pads over the earcups of my X2s. As it turns out, pleather changes the X2s' sound somewhat. That was interesting at first, but ultimately the stock velours sounded better, so I reverted to stock.

I have a pair of Brainwavz round velours here and at some point will try those (again, stretching them over the earcup, being careful not to press too hard on those 4 plastic pins that stick up), My guess is--based on similarity in dimensions & materials--that the round velours would be the best match for the stock pads (sound of which works so well for me).

May 14, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #13,064 of 15,268
I agree. I've actually done this: stretched the 100mm Brainwavz round pleather pads over the earcups of my X2s. As it turns out, pleather changes the X2s' sound somewhat. That was interesting at first, but ultimately the stock velours sounded better, so I reverted to stock.

I have a pair of Brainwavz round velours here and at some point will try those (again, stretching them over the earcup, being careful not to press too hard on those 4 plastic pins that stick up), My guess is--based on similarity in dimensions & materials--that the round velours would be the best match for the stock pads (sound of which works so well for me).

So there you go @Gainastyle. Regular Brainwavz Round pads, not the XL. In your choice of material - velour, pleather, or sheepskin.

Thanks for the clarification Pharmaboy!

May 14, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #13,065 of 15,268
So there you go @Gainastyle. Regular Brainwavz Round pads, not the XL. In your choice of material - velour, pleather, or sheepskin.

Thanks for the clarification Pharmaboy!
I was looking at the XL ones, since i have the oval ones. My oval ones have become round after a year of use.
But all the Brainwavz pads arent thick enough for my liking (at 30mm). My ears touch the inside (the part covering the driver) and its abit annoying.
Looking for something atleast 40mm thick with lots of space around my ear, so my ears dont touch anything.

Looked at Shure 1540 pads, but they are crazy expensive at almost $80 + 25% VAT and import fees, totaling around $140, making them a non-option for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back