Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 23, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #13,036 of 15,268
Well, I'll be interested in your comparison of the Wang cable vs stock X2's cable.

I purchased 3-4 cables from Ghent Audio & had routinely good experiences dealing w/Ghent Xu (helpful guy)--but that doesn't mean I've done a survey of copper/cable types and how they sound on the X2s. I found a cable that sounded better than the stock X2's cable, and just went with it.

FYI, I don't have any OCC cables. I do have one OFC cable (an upgrade cable from ZMF Headphones), and it sounded somewhat better to me than their stock cables for Ori & Atticus. That's all I can tell you about cable types.

General note: the sound of cables is one of the most contentious issues on Head-Fi (any audio site or mag). All I can say is that years ago when I had a big "audiophile" 2-channel system, I clearly heard differences between cables--small differences, but worth having IMO. And now on the desktop/headphone, I also hear small differences. I suspect the higher the resolution of your system, the more such differences can be heard.

To me, it's all about chasing the best possible sound--getting amps, headphones, cables, whatever will sound best.

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #13,037 of 15,268
General note: the sound of cables is one of the most contentious issues on Head-Fi (any audio site or mag). All I can say is that years ago when I had a big "audiophile" 2-channel system, I clearly heard differences between cables--small differences, but worth having IMO. And now on the desktop/headphone, I also hear small differences. I suspect the higher the resolution of your system, the more such differences can be heard.

To me, it's all about chasing the best possible sound--getting amps, headphones, cables, whatever will sound best.

I have experienced same. In fact I still have my KEF RDM2 Monitors hooked up using some expensive Ecosse speaker cables ✌️

It’s a case of diminishing returns but the difference is certainly there if you have the ears and appreciation for it.

Will let you know how I get along with the new cable.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #13,038 of 15,268
Well this is interesting. I was just coming on here to say I swapped out my X2s default cable for a cheap flat one I had lying around (for convenience not audio reasons) and the X2s bass sounds better. Is its possible the X2s just come with a bad cable?

May 3, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #13,039 of 15,268
I don't know if it's bad, or if it's just average quality. The first aftermarket cable I swapped it for (an inexpensive cable from Ghent Audio) sounded immediately better. No revelations, no veils lifting--just a little bit more of everything I already liked about the X2s (ie, bouncy bass, ear-friendly highs, big soundstage).

The next aftermarket cable (a slightly less expensive, but still inexpensive cable from Ghent Audio) sounded if anything, slightly better than the 1st one. I stuck w/this cable.

Maybe I should move up the food chain and get an even better cable? My pick would be Periapt Cables (middle of their line would probably do it).

May 3, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #13,040 of 15,268
Well this is interesting. I was just coming on here to say I swapped out my X2s default cable for a cheap flat one I had lying around (for convenience not audio reasons) and the X2s bass sounds better. Is its possible the X2s just come with a bad cable?

I don't know if it's bad, or if it's just average quality. The first aftermarket cable I swapped it for (an inexpensive cable from Ghent Audio) sounded immediately better. No revelations, no veils lifting--just a little bit more of everything I already liked about the X2s (ie, bouncy bass, ear-friendly highs, big soundstage).

The next aftermarket cable (a slightly less expensive, but still inexpensive cable from Ghent Audio) sounded if anything, slightly better than the 1st one. I stuck w/this cable.

Maybe I should move up the food chain and get an even better cable? My pick would be Periapt Cables (middle of their line would probably do it).

Yeah, I was never impressed with the stock cable. It must be really high impedance or something. I think I have a UGreen or Mediabridge OFC on there now. Sounds great.

May 3, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #13,041 of 15,268
Since Gibson Guitar has filed for bankruptcy, has anybody heard anything bout what'll happen with the Philips line? Best I could find out was all Gibson's non-instrument holdings were going to be liquidated. Haven't seen any Fidelio clearance sales yet

May 3, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #13,042 of 15,268
Since Gibson Guitar has filed for bankruptcy, has anybody heard anything bout what'll happen with the Philips line? Best I could find out was all Gibson's non-instrument holdings were going to be liquidated. Haven't seen any Fidelio clearance sales yet

I'm sure the company will be split up and the individual pieces sold off. The Gibson name alone is worth some other company snapping it up.

It happens all of the time, from BMX bikes to electronics.

May 7, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #13,043 of 15,268
After having these headphones and managing to lose the stock pads, since I've moved 3 times in a year. I'm forced to use after market ones. Been using hm5 velour pads all this time. But I want something new. I want bigger ones and softer ones. By bigger I mean wider from driver to ear and larger circumference both inside and outside.

Any suggestions?

May 7, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #13,044 of 15,268
After having these headphones and managing to lose the stock pads, since I've moved 3 times in a year. I'm forced to use after market ones. Been using hm5 velour pads all this time. But I want something new. I want bigger ones and softer ones. By bigger I mean wider from driver to ear and larger circumference both inside and outside.

Any suggestions?

sure do...Brainwavz round/velours. @100mm wide they're very close to stock earpads' diameter; slightly deeper; & w/slightly wider foam.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-round-velour

as you already must know, putting aftermarket pads on these (like HM5s) takes some effort:
  • the new pad's back flap has to stretch all the way around each earcup's housing
  • you have to manage not to poke those 4 locking prongs built onto the face of each earcup through the new pad's backing foam/liner
  • and on the cup w/the input jack, you have to cut a hole in that pad's back flap to allow the cable jack to plug into that earcup
the BW rounds will be more of the same, just somewhat easier since the pads don't have to stretch much in any dimension to fit on.

A little history: I got brainwavz round pleathers to experiment with on the X2s (love the stock sound, but was curious). Another poster here had showed pictures of how he put similar pads on his X2s, and it looked do-able. The results were fascinating (more exact, tuneful bass; more exact everything else, including soundstaging). The sound was more damped/controlled than stock. But I reverted to stock because ultimately, I prefer the stock earpads' sound.

Of all the aftermarket pads, IMO the Brainwavz velours are your best shot at getting back most of that stock sound. I actually have a pair of Brainwavz velours (purchased to try on the X2s) but I havent done that yet. Shoulder surgery and other headphones intervened...

May 7, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #13,045 of 15,268
sure do...Brainwavz round/velours. @100mm wide they're very close to stock earpads' diameter; slightly deeper; & w/slightly wider foam.

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-round-velour

as you already must know, putting aftermarket pads on these (like HM5s) takes some effort:
  • the new pad's back flap has to stretch all the way around each earcup's housing
  • you have to manage not to poke those 4 locking prongs built onto the face of each earcup through the new pad's backing foam/liner
  • and on the cup w/the input jack, you have to cut a hole in that pad's back flap to allow the cable jack to plug into that earcup
the BW rounds will be more of the same, just somewhat easier since the pads don't have to stretch much in any dimension to fit on.

A little history: I got brainwavz round pleathers to experiment with on the X2s (love the stock sound, but was curious). Another poster here had showed pictures of how he put similar pads on his X2s, and it looked do-able. The results were fascinating (more exact, tuneful bass; more exact everything else, including soundstaging). The sound was more damped/controlled than stock. But I reverted to stock because ultimately, I prefer the stock earpads' sound.

Of all the aftermarket pads, IMO the Brainwavz velours are your best shot at getting back most of that stock sound. I actually have a pair of Brainwavz velours (purchased to try on the X2s) but I havent done that yet. Shoulder surgery and other headphones intervened...

Thanks for the reply.

But those pads are basically the ones i have already. i have the oval ones in velour.
I dont really care much if the pads change the sound a bit. I just want bigger and softer pads.

May 7, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #13,046 of 15,268
Thanks for the reply.

But those pads are basically the ones i have already. i have the oval ones in velour.
I dont really care much if the pads change the sound a bit. I just want bigger and softer pads.

Brainwavz has a round XL pads that is bigger than the ovals. Perhaps they are more what you’re looking for?

May 7, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #13,048 of 15,268
I looked at them, and they are only slightly bigger. 110mm compared to 100mm, and the same thickness. doesnt seem like a difference worth the money tbh. Id prefer more thickness and even more height and width

Ah, so are you looking for those super thick “King” type pads?

Like these?

D92E0244-7BC5-4C03-A2F1-46448D82D97A.jpeg

May 7, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #13,049 of 15,268
I looked at them, and they are only slightly bigger. 110mm compared to 100mm, and the same thickness. doesnt seem like a difference worth the money tbh. Id prefer more thickness and even more height and width

I never tried the XLs--they might actually be too wide (resulting in sloppy fit)

But I think you're not getting something about the Brainwavz round pads: they are subtly larger/different vs the HM5 oval pads:
  • I find the height of the rounds to be either equal to the HM5 ovals, or a bit taller/deeper. In any case, the BW rounds are a little deeper than the stock pads, of that I'm certain
  • The BW round pads are thicker (cross-sectional width of the foam + its velour or pleather outer/inner covering) than the HM5 ovals. Not a big difference, but the BW rounds are slightly thicker
If you really want more thickness & height, you can always play around with angled pads--though for some reason the angled/oval/velours are 80mm X 110mm, compared to the more X2's-friendly 90mm X 110mm of the pleathers & hybrids.

May 7, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #13,050 of 15,268
Ah, so are you looking for those super thick “King” type pads?

Like these?

Exactly. Super thick and soft pads like that =) But with a big enough inner diameter to fit my entire ear.

I never tried the XLs--they might actually be too wide (resulting in sloppy fit)

But I think you're not getting something about the Brainwavz round pads: they are subtly larger/different vs the HM5 oval pads:
  • I find the height of the rounds to be either equal to the HM5 ovals, or a bit taller/deeper. In any case, the BW rounds are a little deeper than the stock pads, of that I'm certain
  • The BW round pads are thicker (cross-sectional width of the foam + its velour or pleather outer/inner covering) than the HM5 ovals. Not a big difference, but the BW rounds are slightly thicker
If you really want more thickness & height, you can always play around with angled pads--though for some reason the angled/oval/velours are 80mm X 110mm, compared to the more X2's-friendly 90mm X 110mm of the pleathers & hybrids.
Im quite happy with my HM5 velour pads, and none of the other brainwavz pads are different enough to me to justify buying a new pair.
I even have HM5 pleather ones as well, that ive never used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back