Philips Fidelio X2?!
Oct 4, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #12,706 of 15,268
Anybody using the Schiit Vali 2 with the X2? Hows the pairing? How much improvement are we speaking here? Some people say the X2 does not profit much from amping because they are so easy to drive. Some say the exact opposite :D

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #12,707 of 15,268
Does anyone have some pesky "clicks" when listening bass music more than 50/60% volume up?
Only on the right cup. It feels like sand is falling. You know, if you're on the beach and if you take sand in your hand and slowly release it and you can hear how it sounds. The sound of falling sand.
It's not the same just like digital noise. Hard to explain. It's like cracking, but more like I wrote about the sound of the sizzling sand.
But it's so annoy me, it started yesterday - only after a week of using :frowning2:
And this is the second pair already, from amazon... (the first was worse in general but without this issue)

I can definitely hear it when using bass tests from there;

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php
Quality test(4th I think from the top)/"Bass Shaker" button

you could check yours....it can be heard clearly, at the beginning test. just make sure you're in silent room to hear that. You will understand if you re-listen it few times, carefully listening and comparing left and right earpiece.

any help? thoughts? opinions?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #12,708 of 15,268
Does anyone have some pesky "clicks" when listening bass music more than 50/60% volume up?
Only on the right cup. It feels like sand is falling. You know, if you're on the beach and if you take sand in your hand and slowly release it and you can hear how it sounds. The sound of falling sand.
It's not the same just like digital noise. Hard to explain. It's like cracking, but more like I wrote about the sound of the sizzling sand.
But it's so annoy me, it started yesterday - only after a week of using :frowning2:
And this is the second pair already, from amazon... (the first was worse in general but without this issue)

I can definitely hear it when using bass tests from there;

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php
Quality test(4th I think from the top)/"Bass Shaker" button

you could check yours....it can be heard clearly, at the beginning test. just make sure you're in silent room to hear that. You will understand if you re-listen it few times, carefully listening and comparing left and right earpiece.

any help? thoughts? opinions?

Maybe you have the crinkled driver issue? If you search this thread you’ll find what I’m talking about, as well as the fix for it.

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #12,710 of 15,268
on sale at amazon.de for 145€ :) Had these once already but sold. Might buy back, fun headphones, and especially juicy when gaming atleast in BF1, powerfull sound.

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #12,713 of 15,268
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #12,714 of 15,268
I need some amp advice for the X2. Currently using the Dragonfly Red which is sort of bright, so im looking for a warm amp to pair it with. Looking for stationary devices for Desktop usage. How's the Schiit Vali 2? Other recommendations?

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #12,715 of 15,268
Hope that helps.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/philips-fidelio-x2.723025/page-833#post-13685173

If that is your issue, there’s a few different ways to pop the driver back into place (that guy just did 1 method). You just gotta be really careful because speaker diaphragms are fragile, and you can end up doing more harm than good.
Thanks! But I don't think that I have the same issue. However, if so, I cannot do those things, I'd better ask for a replacement again. If instead I do this, I can say then bye bye to free replacement. Btw, can I get second replacement from Amazon? I hope so, but who knows? I've seen some people here on this thread - they had have 3 pairs from Amazon as replacements at the same time. Is it possible ?

Oct 5, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #12,716 of 15,268
I need some amp advice for the X2. Currently using the Dragonfly Red which is sort of bright, so im looking for a warm amp to pair it with. Looking for stationary devices for Desktop usage. How's the Schiit Vali 2? Other recommendations?

Even though it made no sense "on paper," I got amazing results w/my X2s running single-ended out of the Liquid Carbon. "warm, bassy" headphones + "warm, bassy" amp shouldn't work--but it totally did.

There are no more Liquid Carbon V2 amps being made or sold. But Massdrop just had a paradigm-shifting drop for their own licensed/mfr'd version of the LC, called the "LC-X." The drop is now inactive, but it may start up again: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-alex-cavalli-liquid-carbon-x-amp/talk

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #12,717 of 15,268
Does anyone know where i can get some replacement pads for the fidelio x2s? My pads are starting to fall off quite easy, I just have to move them alittle and it will fall off. I dont understand why philips wont sell replacement pads..

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #12,718 of 15,268
Oct 6, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #12,719 of 15,268
I can't help re replacement pads. Because the mfr won't sell them, it's very likely that anything advertising as "replacement pads for X2s" will be aftermarket, non-Phiilips, thus unknown quality.

If you can't find replacement pads, I do have a suggestion, based on my recent (very interesting) experiences "pad-rolling" for the X2s:
  1. As another member showed earlier in this thread w/pictures, it is possible to remove the stock pads + backing layer, then affix aftermarket pads of the correct diameter to each earcup.
  2. I used Brainwavz pleather pads--exactly the right diameter (100mm) and perfectly round
  3. To put them on the X2s, you would stretch the back flap of each Brainwavz' pad completely around the front-facing base of each earcup. That back flap is stretchy and ~1/2" wide all around; it totally works this way
  4. Once that is done, the only tricky thing is to cut a hole in the backflap stretched over the earcup w/the 3.5mm input jack. I used a pair ot tweezers and a tiny pair of scissors to delicately cut out just enough material to allow connection of my 3.5mm-to-6.35mm cable.
I recommend you try the Brainwavz round velours, not pleather, as this will give you the best chance of preserving all the sonic goodies of the stock pads. I was able to get some good sound of the pleathers (very amp dependent), but it wasn't really the same as stock.

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #12,720 of 15,268
Got these yesterday as a "fun" side can to my hd 650 for the occasionally ps4 gaming since they hook up easily to the headphone out of the controller. And I have to say they feel really premium in terms of build quality, in fact I can't belive I only paid 145 euro for these (new). In comparison to the hd 650 the extra bass is something nice to experience, especially for EDM. For other genres they tend to sound a bit more artificial / less organic than the hd 650 but for gaming and EDM they were a nice investment for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back