Philips Fidelio X2?!
Sep 18, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #12,691 of 15,268
Writing you all again, on my fourth set of X2's - this time being an X2HR.

Been listening for about a week now enjoying it a fair bit but I couldn't help but notice some sounds being more prominent in the right channel. I felt like I had to squeeze the left cup a bit closer to get perfect detail and stereo imaging even though general volume wasn't totally imbalanced - As if I had to keep equalizing my ears or make my left one pop. I kept going back and forth between my X2HR and my JVC HA-FXT90, AKG K-240 and Audio Technica ATH-M50 suspecting something might be up. I couldn't exactly pinpoint the frequency so I couldn't confirm it with a tone generator until I got a bit creative with RightMark Audio Analyzer, running a test with one channel turned off each multiple times.

HeadfiX2HR1.jpg

Now as stated in the picture this is in no way indicative of the actual X2HR frequency response, I was only looking for weirdness and outliers. Which I found by the red arrow. So I went to http://onlinetonegenerator.com/ to try and replicate what the audio analyzer found and sure enough by 2660Hz the sound slowly starts crawling right and worsens until 2800... Comes back center around 3500.

Now call me a snob or whatever but I'm not going to pay 240€ for that. This pair is going back, refund, can't be bothered with RMA. I am done with this model, screw Fidelio and in particular the X2.

20170918_1903_Sofacykel_big_thumb.jpg

Bye bye. :frowning2:

Edit: I'd like to point out that pads have nothing to do with this. They're perfect, through and through. I tried changing them around or doing them upside down but no change. Tried another cable. Tried a different source. Tried wearing them in reverse. The imbalance at that frequency range is not placebo, it does exist and it's not imperceptible - Most definitely not! In an X2HR...

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #12,692 of 15,268
Writing you all again, on my fourth set of X2's - this time being an X2HR.

Been listening for about a week now enjoying it a fair bit but I couldn't help but notice some sounds being more prominent in the right channel. I felt like I had to squeeze the left cup a bit closer to get perfect detail and stereo imaging even though general volume wasn't totally imbalanced - As if I had to keep equalizing my ears or make my left one pop. I kept going back and forth between my X2HR and my JVC HA-FXT90, AKG K-240 and Audio Technica ATH-M50 suspecting something might be up. I couldn't exactly pinpoint the frequency so I couldn't confirm it with a tone generator until I got a bit creative with RightMark Audio Analyzer, running a test with one channel turned off each multiple times.

HeadfiX2HR1.jpg

Now as stated in the picture this is in no way indicative of the actual X2HR frequency response, I was only looking for weirdness and outliers. Which I found by the red arrow. So I went to http://onlinetonegenerator.com/ to try and replicate what the audio analyzer found and sure enough by 2660Hz the sound slowly starts crawling right and worsens until 2800... Comes back center around 3500.

Now call me a snob or whatever but I'm not going to pay 240€ for that. This pair is going back, refund, can't be bothered with RMA. I am done with this model, screw Fidelio and in particular the X2.

20170918_1903_Sofacykel_big_thumb.jpg

Bye bye. :frowning2:

Edit: I'd like to point out that pads have nothing to do with this. They're perfect, through and through. I tried changing them around or doing them upside down but no change. Tried another cable. Tried a different source. Tried wearing them in reverse. The imbalance at that frequency range is not placebo, it does exist and it's not imperceptible - Most definitely not! In an X2HR...

Sorry to know that...

By the way, what were the diferentes in build and sound quality between the original x2 and the x2hr?

I had 3 different Gibson x2s this August and besides some flaws on the build quality (scratches, badly glued headbands) i did not notice any other problems. All of them sounded balanced to my ears and i had the chance to compare against a hd600, hd25 and momentum 1.0 and 2.0 over ear. In fact the only headphone that seemed unbalanced at times was the hd600 but this was only noticeable on a couple of tracks só i guess they just present sound in a rather uniqur way when it comes to instrument placement.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #12,693 of 15,268
Sorry to read the post above about X2HRs w/channel imbalance. I might feel differently about my X2s if I'd been dragged through that experience--ie, decide whether to go through tediious refund/exchange cycle, get them repaired, and/or just forget about them.

A listening note about my X2s. I pad rolled w/them in past couple months--put Brainwavz round pleathers on them, as demonstrated by another poster on this thread. Then listened to them w/a variety of amps & variety of material. They sounded pretty good w/those pads on one of my amps, the Audio GD SA-31SE.

But a few nights ago, I needed those pads for a pad-rolling experience w/a different pair of headphones, so I took them off and put the stock velours back on. Plugged them in to the Liquid Carbon, my favorite amp for the X2s--and I have to say, it was quite a relief to hear that familar relaxed, ear-friendly sound again, so expansive and welcoming. I wasn't consciously aware of missing stock sound, but as soon as I heard it again, I was relieved.

These headphones are very good in their way. I have a couple other pairs that surpass the X2s in certain ways & technicalities--but very often, none of that matters. Listening to music, like any sensory experience, is not a binary, 1's and 0's thing: it's fluid, forgiving, impressionistic. These headphones just work for me.

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #12,694 of 15,268
The elastic on my X2s headband has become too loose. It can barely support its own weight on the stand anymore never mind my head. What are my options here? Can it be replaced? Any mods that can save my favourite pair of headphones?

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #12,695 of 15,268
The elastic on my X2s headband has become too loose. It can barely support its own weight on the stand anymore never mind my head. What are my options here? Can it be replaced? Any mods that can save my favourite pair of headphones?

You should be able to take that portion of the headband apart and see what the problem is.

The round metal parts that say R and L are most likely screws. If gently hold each one side with pliers, you should be able to unscrew them from one another. Then slide the lower headband pad off of the plastic elastic portion. It might have just popped apart. Or if it needs to be replaced you could try making a new piece out of some plastic sheeting (like the heavy duty plastic folders sold for school kids).

I know all of the above sounds intimidating, so if you're not a DIY kind of person, you can always contact Philips support and see what your repair options are.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #12,697 of 15,268
I see this thread is still going strong. I'll contribute with my own experience.
The first unit I received was made by WOOX, it had the older "WOOX" earpads, which either are or clearly resemble the bass pads
Unfortunately, there was a channel imbalance between the left and the right channel and it got progressively worse, so I will be sending it back tomorrow.
Meanwhile, I have also managed to snatch a Gibson made X2, which comes with removable newer and thicker earpads, let's call them Gibson pads or current stock pads.
My conclusion is, QA problems notwithstanding [but as apparent even WOOX made a missmatched pair sometimes] the difference comes strictly down to the earpads.
The Bass pads made the X2 sound like what I expected it to sound like - an evolution of the X1.
The Gibson pads give it a very different twist, making it more akin to studio monitors, such as the AKG K7XX, so reference, analytic and very spacious and detailed.
It is amazing how staggering a difference a rather minor pad change has made here, and the differences between the pads that most significantly contribute are, I would guess, the material [they are made from a different velvet/velour type], depth and foam thickness [the Gibson pads are deeper and thicker], which puts the ear further away and the grill cover mesh [the original WOOX pads have a thicker, denser mesh]. The OG WOOX pads [a.k.a the Bass pads] can be bought on Ebay presently for $39. If you don't like the sound you are getting or want an alternative set of pads, get them. It seems like most of the variance / consistency reported here comes down to that.
As for me, I will be sending the defective unit back and be ordering some Bass pads to get that X1 flavor back
biggrin.gif

Also, the WOOX pads seem to have a firmer attachment mechanism than the Gibson pads, as those are easier to get off. The WOOX pads also seem to create a better seal as a result [the pad itself extends slightly below the attachment ring, allowing for a better seal].
That's it from me
biggrin.gif

Cheers

I realise the above quoted post is quite old but the content is related (I hope) to my issue with the X2's. I've had my X2 a couple of months now, my first pair of open highish end cans but I have to say I'm not enjoying them much I think for the following reason - there are too spacious sounding or to put it another way the sounds sound too far away. I've been experimenting with pushing the drivers closer to my ears and I have to say I much prefer what I hear when I do that. I have a Gibson pair and one of the pads looks to my eyes slightly thicker than the other although don't hear an imbalance.

The post I quoted says that there is quite difference in sound sig depending on whether one has WOOX or Gibson pads. Could anyone else confirm this or have an opinion? @conquerator2 also says in his post something about Bass pads. Does anyone know if he's referring to the original WOOKS pads when the says the bass pads? Edit: Later in the post he refers to them as OG WOOX pads and are available on ebay but I can't see then on there myself.

I'll have to part with my X2's if I can't resolve this issue which would be a big disappointment. I don't think I would get much for them anyhoo as they can be had new at great prices of late. I do realise the I may simply be accustomed to a less wider soundstage as I have a number of pairs of closed cans but then again I have a feeling I might be able to fix this problem. I'm not interested in any other brands of pads as if they don't sound right in stock from then they are probably not for me anyways and I should prolly look into maybe a hd650.

So I suppose the question is does anyone know where I can but the original WOOX pads and do you think it would solve my issue?

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #12,699 of 15,268
So I recently bought a pair of X2, my first decent headphones.

I am aware that they are very easy to drive and don't benefit much from an AMP/DAC but I am concerned that my Dell XPS' onboard audio isn't the best and I could also benefit from a little bit of volume.

I've looked at a few options that are available in the UK: Fulla 2 (£120 shipped), E10K (£60), SMSL M3 (£50), NuForce uDAC3 (£70). I was wondering which one would be most appropriate for the X2s and whether paying £70 more for the Fulla 2 - as opposed to SMSL M3 - is worth it?

Any advice welcome!
I can recommend the fiio Q1. I use it with my x2 and Beyer dt770. Very good and powerful.

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #12,700 of 15,268
So I recently bought a pair of X2, my first decent headphones.

I am aware that they are very easy to drive and don't benefit much from an AMP/DAC but I am concerned that my Dell XPS' onboard audio isn't the best and I could also benefit from a little bit of volume.

I've looked at a few options that are available in the UK: Fulla 2 (£120 shipped), E10K (£60), SMSL M3 (£50), NuForce uDAC3 (£70). I was wondering which one would be most appropriate for the X2s and whether paying £70 more for the Fulla 2 - as opposed to SMSL M3 - is worth it?

Any advice welcome!

I would buy the M3. I have a couple smsl products (m8 and sd793-ii) and they both sound fine with my X2s.

Oct 2, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #12,701 of 15,268
I can recommend the fiio Q1. I use it with my x2 and Beyer dt770. Very good and powerful.

I 2nd the FiiO stuff. Q1 is good, so is E12A and A5. The A5 will power just about anything you throw at it.

Another popular option is the Cayin C5.

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #12,703 of 15,268
Thanks all!

I was looking at desktop amps but as you have all suggested some portable ones, would a portable one be able to compete with a desktop one in the same price range - in terms of performance?

Of course there are compromises that must be made when shrinking everything down to fit in a small portable case, and run off of a lower voltage (3.7-7.4v) battery.

The advantage of desktop amps is more power, better heat dissipation, high voltages, larger components, better power supplies (linear etc), different amplifier designs (class A, AB, etc), more room for shielding, and components like tubes.

My philosophy is if you do your listening with a mobile setup - on the go, commuting, using a phone or portable DAP/DAC, etc get what is convenient for you (ie portable amp). If you do mostly desktop listening, have other desktop components such as a turn table, and can afford the extra room of a desktop amp, go that way.

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #12,704 of 15,268
Having jumped in on the new Magni 3 from Schiit, while waiting for it to arrive I've broke out my old Schiit stack. I've mainly been using the iFi Micro Black Label recently, but couldn't avoid that amp for the price. Anyway, with the stack out and in use, I was trying out various cans. Had the Nighthawks on, and I see what everyone means about them being muddled now. With the Micro, I can use the 3D switch to open up the sound somewhat. Not so much with the basic stack. That said, quickly switched to the X2s, and man, what a difference. Easily just as much bass as the hawks, if not more. Much more open sounding with just enough treble. And realistically, just as comfortable on my head as the hawks, which is probably the best thing they have going for them. When I have my clearance sale, I can see the X2s staying and the hawks flying out of here.

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #12,705 of 15,268
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I might go for the Schiit Fulla 2 even though it's £120 here, I've read some really good comments about it and it comes with a 2-year warranty which the M3 doesn't have. There is no reason why it shouldn't pair well with the X2, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back