Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 4, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #10,576 of 15,268
  If it does not have the Hi-Res Audio log it's most definitely WOOX, the box should have also no mention of Gibson anywhere.

No mention of Gibson.  Sometimes hard to figure out where open box units like this come from. My guess is these have been setting in storage for a little while somewhere, maybe a liquidation or something like that.  Box was a little scuffed, but the headphones and accessories are in pristine condition.

Interesting thing is that the eBay picture shows the Hi-Res Audio, so some of these may be Gibson versions.  Probably just luck of the draw. I'm not usually that lucky so maybe I should buy a lottery ticket today :)

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #10,577 of 15,268
Neah, too late, you've used your portion of good luck :)

Same thing happened to a friend, bought a pair described as new but with open damaged box and received brand new WOOX pair, no Hi-Res Audio logo, perfectly new, not touched, just the box was a bit damaged and without the seal.

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #10,578 of 15,268
  Just received my X2's from eBay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/141928240891 ) and I think I lucked out big time!  

The box was definitely "open" but these seem to be the WOOX version - does not have the Hi Res sticker on the box, and indicates WOOX under the headband, and the earpads do not appear to be glued on although I haven't tried to take them off yet.

All accessories were in the box, everything looks to be in pristine, unused condition.  I don't see any of the assembly or mechanical defects mentioned earlier in this thread.

Just fired them up on my FiiO Q1 and so far they sound good, but I am expecting some break in and getting used to them will be necessary.  Very happy so far!

There are 4 units left for sale at that auction, by the way... $169 + shipping.

Cable in the picture is a MediaBridge cable, BTW.

Just as an FYI, checking under the headband shouldn't be used as an indicator. I most DEFINITELY have a Gibson pair, but they still say "WOOX" under the headband!

You'll know if the pads are glued on, it's some pretty tough and stringy stuff. It took me 20-30 minutes to scrape it off with a fingernail. Also on the bottom of the box by the barcode, mine has a sticker that says "Gibson Innovations Chile SpA"

I have to say, other than the glue I've been quite pleased with my Gibson pair though :)

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #10,579 of 15,268
I think the Gibson earpads with the glue are made of a firmer memory foam. IMO this makes the bass more present, going from memory of a woox set I trialed a year ago, but 707 pages into an epic thread and Im yet to see anyone A>B the two makes. Perhaps because theres too many inconsistencies?

Anyway enjoy your new cans, they're a great fun sounding open headphone. :)

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #10,580 of 15,268
Probably beating a dead horse at this point, but I took both ear pads off, and they come off really easily, and nary a sign of glue.

Loving these cans so far - I am noticing that the sound is very satisfying at a lower listening volume than I usually listen at.  Driving them directly from my Nexus 6P, it takes full volume for satisfactory sound.  Using the FiiO Q1, there is more headroom, of course, but it is pleasurable either way.  My Nexus 7-2013 can't drive them to any usable volume at all on its own.

One thing striking is just how big these headphones are.  I have a medium-large sized coconut and this thing isn't even fully spread out when I wear them, and to be honest, they look a bit ridiculous.  But if I cared about that, I'd be wearing Beats :)

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #10,581 of 15,268
  ... and to be honest, they look a bit ridiculous.  But if I cared about that, I'd be wearing Beats :)

IDK, quite on the contrary, anyone wearing Beats looks ridiculous to me...

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #10,583 of 15,268
  I thought these headphones are really easy to drive! Do you think they can be driven well using an iphone 6+ and any random laptop? 

The Nexus 7 has really poor audio output, and it does a poor job with most full sized headphones.

These seem fairly easy to drive, I believe that the iPhone 6+ would drive them, and any laptop should be capable.  I do recommend a good portalble DAC/AMP (like the FiiO Q1) for these - the improvement in sound and headroom is substantial with good headphones.

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #10,584 of 15,268
  The Nexus 7 has really poor audio output, and it does a poor job with most full sized headphones.

These seem fairly easy to drive, I believe that the iPhone 6+ would drive them, and any laptop should be capable.  I do recommend a good portalble DAC/AMP (like the FiiO Q1) for these - the improvement in sound and headroom is substantial with good headphones.

Thanks for the info. I don't like using any external DAC/AMP when I plug my headphones to a laptop because I like to keep the lag as low as possible when gaming, that's why I am always interested in easy to drive headphones and not something like the AKG 712 Pro although it's a great pair of headphones. 

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #10,585 of 15,268
  Thanks for the info. I don't like using any external DAC/AMP when I plug my headphones to a laptop because I like to keep the lag as low as possible when gaming, that's why I am always interested in easy to drive headphones and not something like the AKG 712 Pro although it's a great pair of headphones. 

Makes sense.  I just tried them with a Windows tower and am getting a decent amount of volume through the X2's from the headphone jack.  Not earth shattering, but usable.  A decent sound card, which this PC does not have, would likely be plenty to drive these.

Also just tried it for the first time on my Asus Chromebook Flip (analog out port) and that has plenty of volume to drive these.  Considering the driver sizes in the X2, I would have to consider them fairly easy to drive.

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #10,586 of 15,268

I have "downgraded" to X2 from LCD-2F, which only wins in a low end department, with better bass texture and control. They were pretty damn great for EDM.

X2 wins with better detail, imaging/soundstage and comfort. Also the last but not least - price

I don't really listen to them much anymore, but I'm having trouble letting my X2's go.  I vastly prefer the LCD-2 tuning, but there is a certain brand of EDM out there that seems EQed for bass-boosted dynamics with poor low-end control.  Just in the last couple weeks I've been checking out Frisky radio (which is hit or miss, but hits are pretty sweet) and it feels like a weird alternate reality where all the music just sounds better on the X2.  Then I go back to the real world (every house, hardcore basshead fav track in my collection) and the LCD-2 just owns again.

That said, I totally agree the tuning on the X2 has its own special charm.  With the right music pairing, its bass-boosted nice open dynamic-ness is pretty sweet.  

Also its super easy to drive.  I think it sounds great out of a laptop headphone jack.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #10,587 of 15,268
Just got the x2 for a friend and have to say, was expecting a little more. Impressed with the detail and openness of the midrange.

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #10,588 of 15,268
Hello guys...I have X2 and love the sound of them.But earpads are so irritating, they itching my skin,so I can not use them for more than 20 minutes...Does anyone else have the same problem?
Is there any replacable pads for them from different material?Like leather or something less irritating.

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #10,589 of 15,268
Yep, I have the exact same problem.  Love the sound and kept them hoping that as the pads wore in and my face oil transfered to the velour covering that it would help with the itching.  No such luck.  Damn things itch worse than commercial carpeting on my face.  Really depressing. 
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #10,590 of 15,268
A light hand-wash with some warm water and laundry detergent should take care of that I would think.  Maybe add a drop of fabric softener if it is really bothering you.

Pat the pads as dry as you can and then let them air dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back