Philips Fidelio X2?!
Apr 1, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #10,546 of 15,268

I used the X2s with a Q1 for the exact same style of music --- it's a great combo and you should be pleased.

That's great! I've been really happy with the Q1 overall and have used it on several Android devices and Windows and Chromebook laptops. It (or the DAC in it) has been plug and play on anything I've tried it on so far. Plenty of power to drive anything I've thrown at it.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #10,547 of 15,268
My quest for finding better cans than X2 so far (using with Mojo, mainly for electronica):
M100 was too bassy even for my taste. Mids and highs closed, congested, close to useless.
Nad Viso HP50 - boring, uncomfortable, closed box feeling.
HE400s and HD600 while I appreciate their neutrality and naturalness, I need more bass and excitement.
Nighthawks is finally something I can equally (or not more) enjoy than X2. More engaging, more fun, better bass. But I miss the openness of X2. And also the mids and highs have kinda weird coloration compared to X2.
So I still prefer my X2. (With Mojo, keep in mind.)
 My next try is going to be X00.
But I am also wondering about LCD 2, Oppo Pm2 (the least), and Ether.
I might gonna like X00 and wishing for nothing more. But if I want more openness, LCD2 might gonna be the way. PM2 could be a cheaper compromise. And Ether is the ultimate stretch of my wallet, in case many people say it is worth the saving up and investment.

Any thoughts from some more experienced Head-Fi members?

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #10,548 of 15,268
  My quest for finding better cans than X2 so far (using with Mojo, mainly for electronica):
M100 was too bassy even for my taste. Mids and highs closed, congested, close to useless.
HE400s and HD600 while I appreciate their neutrality and naturalness, I need more bass and excitement.
Nighthawks is finally something I can equally (or not more) enjoy than X2. More engaging, more fun, better bass. But I miss the openness of X2. And also the mids and highs have kinda weird coloration compared to X2.
I might gonna like X00 and wishing for nothing more. But if I want more openness, LCD2 might gonna be the way. PM2 could be a cheaper compromise. And Ether is the ultimate stretch of my wallet, in case many people say it is worth the saving up and investment.

I wouldn't get PM-2... While it's technically better than X2, it's not as fun. I've heard an LCD 2 once and it was fine but there's too much variation in Audeze drivers, you can never know what you're going to get. You can be sure about one thing though, it sounds much more closed than X2. I've tried other planars as well and the result is the same. They just don't excite me the way good dynamic headphones do. I wonder about the new Hifiman Edition X, but some people who've heard them are saying they sound dull too... I wonder about JPS labs' new headphones Diana as well but it's not released yet.

I think a logical upgrade from X2 is one of the Fostex headphones. I'm thinking of either TH610 or TH900 mk2. You could also consider Beyerdynamic T1 v2.

Ps: I can't say I'm an expert or anything but I know what I want: U-shaped FR but with smooth highs and more sub-bass than mid-bass (or at least equal quantity). LCD-2 and PM-2 do not satisfy me for that purpose.

I listen to almost exclusively EDM, electronic, pop.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #10,549 of 15,268

To add to your comparison list.....

K7XX (to my ears) has more detail and clarity than (Gibson) X2, but with a flatter response. Bass is pleasing enough, but not quite the rumble with X2. Mids are more forward. And they require a bit more power. Soundstage is wide, just a bit less than X2.

A quite capable set of cans IMO, if you prefer something a bit flatter than X2. Still exciting enough to be pleasing to me, the nod goes to X2 but I like both.

A->B'ing done streaming EDM with Prime Music and my Schiit stack.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #10,550 of 15,268

I wouldn't get PM-2... While it's technically better than X2, it's not as fun. I've heard an LCD 2 once and it was fine but there's too much variation in Audeze drivers, you can never know what you're going to get. You can be sure about one thing though, it sounds much more closed than X2. I've tried other planars as well and the result is the same. They just don't excite me the way good dynamic headphones do. I wonder about the new Hifiman Edition X, but some people who've heard them are saying they sound dull too... I wonder about JPS labs' new headphones Diana as well but it's not released yet.

I think a logical upgrade from X2 is one of the Fostex headphones. I'm thinking of either TH610 or TH900 mk2. You could also consider Beyerdynamic T1 v2.

Ps: I can't say I'm an expert or anything but I know what I want: U-shaped FR but with smooth highs and more sub-bass than mid-bass (or at least equal quantity). LCD-2 and PM-2 do not satisfy me for that purpose.

I listen to almost exclusively EDM, electronic, pop.

Yeah, it seems you are looking in the same direction as me.
TH610 and 900 would be a logical way to go. But I already have X00 ordered, which might gonna be the way to go.
I have never tried any Beyers, but people say they can have quite piercing highs, which I really want to avoid. I like detailed highs, but highs must be smooth for me, as I have a very slight tinnitus, and hardly hear anything above 16khz.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #10,551 of 15,268
  K7XX (to my ears) has more detail and clarity than (Gibson) X2, but with a flatter response. Bass is pleasing enough, but not quite the rumble with X2. Mids are more forward. And they require a bit more power. Soundstage is wide, just a bit less than X2.

A quite capable set of cans IMO, if you prefer something a bit flatter than X2. Still exciting enough to be pleasing to me, the nod goes to X2 but I like both.

Say what ? K7XX with LESS soundstage than the X2 ? What K7XX did you get ?
To me, they have sensibly more soundstage than the X2, they are airier, and that's because they are truly open headphones, while the X2 has the drivers enclosed in a plastic case with just a small opening.
From all the headphones I heard, maybe just the Q701 has more soundstage than the K7XX, but that's just due to different ear pads since the drivers are the same.
Yes, they are more neutral, with flatter response, not only to your ears but also to measuring equipment as well.
Also, yes, they are hard to drive, true.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #10,552 of 15,268
  To add to your comparison list.....

I haven't tried K7XX, but I have a very good idea how it sounds due to my experience and reviews I read.
I think I need a less neutral, more fun and more bassy sound than them.
But I admit, K7XX must be a good choice in its price range for someone who wants clean and neutral presentation.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #10,553 of 15,268
  Say what ? K7XX with LESS soundstage than the X2 ? What K7XX did you get ?
To me, they have sensibly more soundstage than the X2, they are airier, and that's because they are truly open headphones, while the X2 has the drivers enclosed in a plastic case with just a small opening.
From all the headphones I heard, maybe just the Q701 has more soundstage than the K7XX, but that's just due to different ear pads since the drivers are the same.
Yes, they are more neutral, with flatter response, not only to your ears but also to measuring equipment as well.
Also, yes, they are hard to drive, true.

What can I tell ya? My pair of X2's sounds wider to me. Just VERY slightly, but it's there.

Maybe I have a particularly good X2 example? *shrug*

K7XX headband also slightly irritated me when I got them, but that has gone away.

Regardless, both HPs were excellent purchases :) Also got them for exactly the same price, so comparisons are inevitable. I think many people would prefer K7XX due to the greater detail, bassheads would go with X2.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #10,554 of 15,268
I very much doubt there is any X2 better than the WOOX original I have right now, even with the Hi-Res Audio logo missing from the box.
And to be honest, comparing directly to the K612 which I had for a short period in parallel (the K612 have been sent for modding), the X2 has a smaller soundstage. Compared to the K712, they also have a smaller soundstage.
The only two people I've ever heard saying the X2 has a larger soundstage are you and Z-reviews, which, to be honest, is more of a stand-up (behind the camera) comedian than an objective source for information, especially after his review of the K612.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #10,555 of 15,268
I had a Q701 once, and while it had massive soundstage, it felt a bit fake. The sound was harsh as well. I would steer clear of AKG K line which is similar to Q701.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #10,556 of 15,268
Well, we will agree to disagree then. My opinion won't change just because someone else wants it to......what I hear is what I hear.

You are quite welcome to your own opinions, but don't ask me to change mine. Accept the COMPLIMENTS I gave K7XX, don't fixate on one negative.....which isn't even really a negative. The K7XX soundstage is ALSO quite impressive.

You want OMG-super-duper soundstage? Try the Sennheiser PC350SE's that I own. I absolutely loathe them for music, their sound signature is horrible........but the soundstage destroys both K7XX and X2. It's not even close.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #10,557 of 15,268
  I had a Q701 once, and while it had massive soundstage, it felt a bit fake. The sound was harsh as well. I would steer clear of AKG K line which is similar to Q701.

They need a bit of a burn-in, as in ... 200 hours or so. But yes, they are a tad harsh and the soundstage is a bit too large.
The K7XX fixes a lot of the problems with the Q701/K701, well, actually, the K702 Annie does, as the K7XX is just that, but made in China, just for Massdrop, at a way cheaper price.
Soundstage is slightly more natural, no more harsh sound, cold, no more horrible bumps on the headband, etc.
K712 takes it even further, both for comfort and sound.

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #10,558 of 15,268

You've probably already heard that (from me), but, honestly, the only thing LCD-2F did markedly better than X2 was bass (qualitatively - texture, control, impact), so it was pretty badass with EDM. Also it had a little more natural timbre with piano and such. Overall SQ - especially detail, soundstage, imaging - were on par or better with X2. Pretty much on the same level for rock and metal. Either weren't as good with high quality vocal/acoustic stuff as I remember my HD600 was. 

So now I'm planning to get TH-X00 for my EDM fix and HD600 for vocal/acoustic. X2 is not going anywhere.. most likely (unless TH-X00 somehow manages to beat my expectations).

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #10,559 of 15,268

You've probably already heard that (from me), but, honestly, the only thing LCD-2F did markedly better than X2 was bass (qualitatively - texture, control, impact), so it was pretty badass with EDM. Also it had a little more natural timbre with piano and such. Overall SQ - especially detail, soundstage, imaging - were on par or better with X2. Pretty much on the same level for rock and metal. Either weren't as good with high quality vocal/acoustic stuff as I remember my HD600 was. 

So now I'm planning to get TH-X00 for my EDM fix and HD600 for vocal/acoustic. X2 is not going anywhere.. most likely (unless TH-X00 somehow manages to beat my expectations).

We are pretty much in the same boat.
X00 and HD600 seems to cover 98% of any possible need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back