Philips Fidelio X2?!
Mar 28, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #10,531 of 15,268

I took her right there.  We're not allowed at that Starbucks anymore, though.

Who cares, #YOLO, right?
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #10,532 of 15,268
I kinda felt the same with NH. It is not better just different. So why should I pay £150-300 more for a different kind of enjoyment, if I was already quite happy with my previous purchase?

So my next question is quite obvious then: what makes you keep the sonorous vi?
Ill keep the vi for its isolation transparency and musical signature(most transparent headphone ive everheard). If that extra cost is worth the difference in precieved micro details and clarity is your call obviously and ymmv. If i had hindsight i may have just stuck with my 1540 as my closed but i do lovethe vi so ill keep it since i have it. i liked the 1540 so much when a like new 1840 came up for 240 i had to try that one to lol love it also...not as fun as the x2 though imo

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #10,535 of 15,268
So.. I'm gonna send mine back. :frowning2: Such great sound, but I can't seem to get used to THAT bass. D: I actually like the sound better then my HD 555's modded. But my head can't take it. My heart say FIDELIO X2's. My head say don't. :frowning2: :frowning2:

Anyway if someone want to get ahold of them before I send them back, they are Woox. Let me know. Sorry if I can't post this in here, I tried going into the trade forum, but I don't know how to make a post in there, lol.

Anyway I'm still good, can still get money back, have only had  them for 1 week. But perhaps someone else want to get ahold of them, since Woox.

Cheers guys. HF with them boomy X2's. </3 Stupid head that don't like bass!!

Gonna try a AKG K702 next, only time will tell what I think of those. If I don't like them, I'm probably just gonna go with successor to HD 555, the HD 558's. And mod them. and know that someday the side will crack. Just like My 2 pair of HD 555's. :frowning2:

LOCATED DENMARK. Falster. Sorry I forgot to mention.. I gave 1523 DKK for them.

Mar 30, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #10,536 of 15,268
Don't try the K702, your head will suffer quite a lot from those bumps on the headband.
K702 Annie or better yet, the K7XX which are back on Massdrop right now for an unbeatable price, as always.
Or K612 Pro or K712 Pro, but the first have a non removable cable and quite a rigid head band, plus rigid ear pads, the second tend to be expensive. Both are a few steps below the X2 when it comes to build quality, mainly due to the materials used, meaning plastic everywhere, but at least the K712/K7XX/K702 Annie memory foam pads are the most comfortable I've ever tried.

By the way, if your X2 is new, give them a while for the bass to calm down. Had the same problem, now they are a lot better. At first I thought the bass is WAY too much.

The newer K702's should not have the bumps. I asked Amazon about them, the newer versions don't include it. And older ones can be send to AKG and they will switch the band for free from what I've read. :)

Hmm perhaps I should wait with sending the X2's back. They do sound awesome. Do you really think it will stop giving me headaches? :D I guess I will always be able to sell the X2's easily, since they are Woox edition. Was lucky to get one! :D

Mar 30, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #10,537 of 15,268
  Hmm perhaps I should wait with sending the X2's back. They do sound awesome. Do you really think it will stop giving me headaches? :D I guess I will always be able to sell the X2's easily, since they are Woox edition. Was lucky to get one! :D

What is your amplifier and what is its output impedance? I find my X2's lows quite well-behaved with all music, even bass-heavy EDM.

Mar 31, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #10,538 of 15,268

What is your amplifier and what is its output impedance? I find my X2's lows quite well-behaved with all music, even bass-heavy EDM.

I tried just using my Yeti to control volume, but also got the smsl SD793II. But I couldn't tell much difference tbh between the two.

On another note, do anyone have equalizer settings for X2's to make them more neutral? WOuldl ove to try them with that, perhaps I will then not get headaches. :)

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #10,539 of 15,268
I edited my post because I was wrong, I do have a loss on SQ... :frowning2:
I prefer to be wrong and accept it instead of spreading wrong information over the internet.

Sorry for the trouble.

I'm going back to the (ink bleeding) stock pads.

I don't recommend anymore HM5 leather earpads for the X2.

I think I'm gonna probably try the HM5 velour pad... but I'm tired, so I don't know.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #10,540 of 15,268
  Wanted to change the earpads for 2 reasons :
- Ink leaking (still do it after a year)
- Wanted a red touch on my X2 to match the rest of my setup.

So I bought a HM5 leather earpads for my X2 !

I was worried, because some people here, said the sound was becoming very worse for the leather version.

Signature-wise, the earpads seem indeed to change the sound a little darker (keep in mind : it's not a BIG step, X2 is still X2), but hell no, they are not worse.

I would even dare to say I have the same quality, if not better. (and yes, it's my impression.)

Even the comfort seem better.

I'm honestly loving them.

Only downside, it's the color, they came more "dark red" than I wanted... (wanted a more bright red) but this will do. I guess.

BTW, you just need to readjust your brain a little bit (Remember, they are a little bit more darker). So give them a little time, like when you got your X2 for the first time.

Have the X2 since more than a year now, listening to them for like ~15h per day, so I know what they sound like.

If I knew that, would have made the switch long ago !!!

TL;DR : Brainwavz HM5 fit the X2 nicely, found the SQ to be equal than stock pads (if not better), and I also prefer the comfort of theses, and no more ink bleeding. 
100% Recommended.

Anyway, I won't putting back the old stock pads to made a comparison, and I won't pretend that I'm a audiophile or anything.
It's just a honest post (I won't even come back here often anymore, but I figured it was a good idea) by a random guy on the Internet. 
And after all, it's only opinions. :)

I am happy you shared your honest thoughts. Unfortunately not everyone is posting honestly from own experience only, but some are just repeating what they read.
 Also some head-fi members are louder than others and not always the loudest are right.

Slowly but surely gaining more and more experience in this hobby I came to the conclusion, everything is much more subjective than I initially thought.

You need to believe to nothing else than your own ears.
It is like trusting your own taste buds or taste in arts, women, etc.

There is of course an objective impression of quality, but above a certain level everything is completely subjective.

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #10,541 of 15,268

I am happy you shared your honest thoughts. Unfortunately not everyone is posting honestly from own experience only, but some are just repeating what they read.
 Also some head-fi members are louder than others and not always the loudest are right.

Slowly but surely gaining more and more experience in this hobby I came to the conclusion, everything is much more subjective than I initially thought.

You need to believe to nothing else than your own ears.
It is like trusting your own taste buds or taste in arts, women, etc.

There is of course an objective impression of quality, but above a certain level everything is completely subjective.

Best words of advice anyone could give.

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #10,542 of 15,268
Thanks for all the (mostly) excellent dialog in this thread (I read the majority of the posts).

All the discussion about the bass and overall sound quality of the X2's made me want them badly, but the discussion about manufacturing issues gave me pause.  I started to pull the trigger on Amazon (U.S.) but then I wondered about paying what is now a higher price (than in the past) for something that may or may not be questionable.

I decided to roll the dice and ordered a pair from an eBay new/open box sale and got them for $186 delivered. My thinking is that I might luck out and get a WOOX set, but of course I could end up with something else.  These are supposed to be "not previously sold" but open box, but it's eBay so who knows...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141928240891

They should arrive in the next few days and I plan to use these with my new FiiO Q1 DAC/AMP.  I haven't seen anyone mention their experience using these with that amp, if anyone has impressions, that would be interesting.

I'll report back on what I end up getting and how they sound with the Q1, driven from a Nexus 6P via USB.  I will be using these solely at home with alternative rock, EDM, and classic rock.

Cheers!

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #10,543 of 15,268
  Thanks for all the (mostly) excellent dialog in this thread (I read the majority of the posts).

All the discussion about the bass and overall sound quality of the X2's made me want them badly, but the discussion about manufacturing issues gave me pause.  I started to pull the trigger on Amazon (U.S.) but then I wondered about paying what is now a higher price (than in the past) for something that may or may not be questionable.

I decided to roll the dice and ordered a pair from an eBay new/open box sale and got them for $186 delivered. My thinking is that I might luck out and get a WOOX set, but of course I could end up with something else.  These are supposed to be "not previously sold" but open box, but it's eBay so who knows...

They should arrive in the next few days and I plan to use these with my new FiiO Q1 DAC/AMP.  I haven't seen anyone mention their experience using these with that amp, if anyone has impressions, that would be interesting.

I'll report back on what I end up getting and how they sound with the Q1, driven from a Nexus 6P via USB.  I will be using these solely at home with alternative rock, EDM, and classic rock.

Cheers!

These are more likely Gibson pair. "EarPads do not appear to be removable." in the description.

This doesn't mean however that you have a bad pair.

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #10,544 of 15,268

Cheers!

I used the X2s with a Q1 for the exact same style of music --- it's a great combo and you should be pleased.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #10,545 of 15,268
  These are more likely Gibson pair. "EarPads do not appear to be removable." in the description.

This doesn't mean however that you have a bad pair.

I think you are right.  No worries, I am looking forward to getting these.  They will be my first set of open back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back