Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 18, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #9,961 of 15,268
  Thanks for the Update!

I trying to decide between the Oppo PM2, this(X2) and the HD600, to be used with the iFi Micro exclusively.

These are very different headphones. You need to give the community more details to get proper advice. Like what kind of music you listen to, you need them for fun or critical listening, etc.

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #9,962 of 15,268

These are very different headphones. You need to give the community more details to get proper advice. Like what kind of music you listen to, you need them for fun or critical listening, etc.

I want something that can handle Rock, Alternative and Classic for the most part. I want it tilted to the warm sound so its not fatiguing. I dont want it to sound muddy or distorted in any way either. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #9,963 of 15,268
What would you guys consider the next step up from the X2s? Third time is suppose to be a charm, but I don't want to risk it.

I just bought X2's from another user here.  I prefer their sound to my HE 560's.  

I don't say this to say they are superior to 560's.  I think technically they are pretty similar with the 560's bringing more textured bass and better highs with the X2's having better soundstage, imaging and seperation between instruments with more slam.  

Point is just that I've been through quite a few headphones searching for a signature I really love.  It's hard to give any advice.  

I've settled on X2's and Alpha Dogs as nice compliments to each other.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #9,964 of 15,268
  I just bought X2's from another user here.  I prefer their sound to my HE 560's.  

I don't say this to say they are superior to 560's.  I think technically they are pretty similar with the 560's bringing more textured bass and better highs with the X2's having better soundstage, imaging and seperation between instruments with more slam.  

Point is just that I've been through quite a few headphones searching for a signature I really love.  It's hard to give any advice.  

I've settled on X2's and Alpha Dogs as nice compliments to each other.

HE400s disappointed me. And I still prefer X2s over HD600s. I am just hoping TH-X00s will give me even more joy. :)

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #9,965 of 15,268
In my opinion X2s are the best pair of headphones one can buy under £300 these days. And they currently sell on Amazon for £169.
Bargain. Even if you get a screw** up glued pair. I wouldn't even mind pony sperm instead of glue. For this sound and price who cares? :) With proper DAC and/or amp X2s compete with headphones that cost £500-1000 according to many comments on head-fi in different threads. For £169 who cares for a little gamble, if the sound is that blissful? Not for neutral fans, of course. But for music fans definitely. :)

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #9,966 of 15,268
  In my opinion X2s are the best pair of headphones one can buy under £300 these days. And they currently sell on Amazon for £169.
Bargain. Even if you get a screw** up glued pair. I wouldn't even mind pony sperm instead of glue. For this sound and price who cares? :) With proper DAC and/or amp X2s compete with headphones that cost £500-1000 according to many comments on head-fi in different threads. For £169 who cares for a little gamble, if the sound is that blissful? Not for neutral fans, of course. But for music fans definitely. :)

Well like I said I think they are pretty much on par with 560s.  Better then HD 700's for sure.

Can't say I disagree but I'm still in the honeymoon phase with mine.  Will be interesting to see how I feel in two weeks because I initially really liked my HD700's until I couldn't stand them for more then an hour at a time.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #9,967 of 15,268

I don't get what puts the X2 above other very colored big bass headphones... For 300 (pounds!?) you can get lots of models. The Fostex-line (or Denon DX000-series) might be your best bet for bassy & tasty sounds for that money, imo.

What's better about the X2 than for an example Good old DT770? Can you tell me, bestula?

Cheers.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #9,968 of 15,268

I don't get what puts the X2 above other very colored big bass headphones... For 300 (pounds!?) you can get lots of models. The Fostex-line (or Denon DX000-series) might be your best bet for bassy & tasty sounds for that money, imo.

What's better about the X2 than for an example Good old DT770? Can you tell me, bestula?

Cheers.

I don't have personal experience with the famous Denon 2/5/7000s. But I was told the TH-X00s are even superior compared to them. So I am waiting for the Fostex to arrive and try.
 According to my limited experience with cans and the lot of online material I have read X2s inevitable advantage above similarly tuned headphones is the soundstage and space first of all. Being an opened can it is not so unexpected. I would also add details, but strictly only with higher end DAC. Out of phone X2s are not so special.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #9,969 of 15,268

Cheers.

The X2's are open and open headphones when you get right down to it are better then closed.  Not that an extremely well engineered closed headphone can't exist.

So yeah soundstage, imaging, seperation of instruments.  An open headphone with good slam is actually a pretty rare thing.  The AKG 712/7XX hit fairly hard but I still prefer the X2's bass presentation.  

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #9,970 of 15,268

It's pure personal preference. To my ear, X2 is even not musical as his elder brother, shp9500. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #9,971 of 15,268
  I don't get what puts the X2 above other very colored big bass headphones... 

The fact that it is actually not a "very colored big bass" headphone...? To me the bass is just right... and I don't find it very colored. YMMV.

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #9,972 of 15,268
Cornelius' Fantasma is a thing of wonder on these headphones. Get the best DAP with the widest soundstage because the dense track layering really benefits from the separation.

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #9,974 of 15,268

HE400s disappointed me. And I still prefer X2s over HD600s. I am just hoping TH-X00s will give me even more joy. :)

@bestula How did the HE400S disappointed you?
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #9,975 of 15,268

@bestula How did the HE400S disappointed you?
bigsmile_face.gif

Briefly the sound was thin and not enough bass. Not much to enjoy except clarity. Maybe just too neutral for me and the kind of music I listen to. I didn't find it special at all.
With stock pads really meh. HM5 pads are huge improvement, makes it similar to HD600s with a little planar flavor. But in my opinion both the 600s and the 400s are good only with acoustic, vocal and classical music. X2s are much better with everything else. (For me.) I enjoy fun sound when I listen to music, not a neutral presentation. But everyone's miles vary. (As I mentioned this is a genre specific thing and personal preference. I didn't say 400s are bad headphones.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back