Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 17, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #9,931 of 15,268
Looks like X2 is back on Amazon... still says "under review", but seems to be in stock. Also there's this note:

Warning: In an attempt to improve the manufacturing process, glue was added to the pins which support the Philips Fidelio X2 headphone’s removable cushions. Acoustic testing showed that this did not impact sound quality, however this modification proved excessive leading to some cushions not being detachable from the headphones in individual cases. For that reason, it has since been removed from the production process. In the rare occasion that you still encounter glued earpieces or require further information please contact the Manufacturer directly during business hours at 1-888-381-0749. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #9,933 of 15,268

If you asked me in my first month with X2s, I'd probably have agreed with you in 90% of what you say in the video.
(That time I listened to X2s via Fiio X3II and iFi Micro and Nano.)
Chord Mojo however changed my opinion on the X2s quite a lot. Much more balanced, much less V shaped. I don't think it was V shaped before, but I see, why this is the impression of some people. Mojo however takes away this impression. For casual listening I am yet to find better headphones than X2s. I prefer them over HD600 and HE400s. (However with certain music I'd prefer the 600s and the 400ss but I don't listen to acoustic or classical.) Fostex TH-X00 might going to be an upgrade. I will see in May.
People judge X2s superficially, it is all that I say. With higher end DAC they are truly remarkable. (Out of a phone just mediocre.)

I agree.  I was disappointed out of my Nexus 6, but now I like them with my Nexus 6 to FiiO E18.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #9,934 of 15,268

As someone who's owned HD600 for more than 10 years - I disagree. They're only better with certain genres like vocal and jazz/acoustic. And we're not speaking of "another tier" here...

I admit X2 has similar sound quality of HD600, but to my ear, sound on X2 is something wrong, which I cannot express clearly why in language. That's a feeling, maybe personal preference. To my ear, X2 is very similar to 598SE and 9500 is more close to 600. When I had X2, I did like 9500 more than it. 
If I chose, I would buy 598. Much cheaper than X2 and has similar SQ and timbre. The build quality is much better on X2, but I think for most people on headfi, long before a headphone could be broken, he'll upgrade to a better one. 
biggrin.gif

Just my oponion. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #9,935 of 15,268
  I admit X2 has similar sound quality of HD600, but to my ear, sound on X2 is something wrong, which I cannot express clearly why in language. That's a feeling, maybe personal preference. To my ear, X2 is very similar to 598SE and 9500 is more close to 600. When I had X2, I did like 9500 more than it. 
If I chose, I would buy 598. Much cheaper than X2 and has similar SQ and timbre. The build quality is much better on X2, but I think for most people on headfi, long before a headphone could be broken, he'll upgrade to a better one. 
biggrin.gif

Just my oponion. 

Maybe you got a bad pair.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #9,936 of 15,268
biggrin.gif

Just my oponion. 

X2s are just completely different than HD600s. It doesn't mean one is worse or better than the other. They just serve different purposes. I bought X2s after having HD600s for a year. And while HD600 have obvious pros over X2s when it comes to neutralism, naturalism and vocals and mids and acoustic and classical, X2s are way more fun with any other music genres. Yes, they are not neutral, nor analytical. But the sound they give is so full, big body, great bass, it is just extreme fun with any other music genres. Due to my music preference having X2s made me sell the HD600s. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #9,937 of 15,268

X2s are just completely different than HD600s. It doesn't mean one is worse or better than the other. They just serve different purposes. I bought X2s after having HD600s for a year. And while HD600 have obvious pros over X2s when it comes to neutralism, naturalism and vocals and mids and acoustic and classical, X2s are way more fun with any other music genres. Yes, they are not neutral, nor analytical. But the sound they give is so full, big body, great bass, it is just extreme fun with any other music genres. Due to my music preference having X2s made me sell the HD600s. 

Totally Agree. Very possible that X2 is not my taste. So I said it's only my oponion. Just my two cents.

Maybe you got a bad pair.
rolleyes.gif

Should be not. I can sense its high sound quality. Otherwsie, I'll not think it has similar SQ with 600. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #9,939 of 15,268
  You mean Mojo is much better than ifi Micro for X2? Well, possible. But I think that does not mean Mojo itself is much better than Micro for any phones.

In my experience Mojo is much better with any headphones than Micro iCan. The iCan has kind of an artificial sound compared to Mojo. Sounds colored. Mojo is much more natural, and the soundstage is not just wide but deep. Very deep.
I know, there is a hype around Mojo. And I don't want to advertise it. But it lives up at least to 80-90% of the hype. Beats any DAC under £5-600. Lifts any headphones to another level. According to many reviewers the sound quality is not far behind Hugo, which is a £1400 DAC. Mojo is just extreme value for money. Made my X2s sound like I could never imagine.
Best spent money in my entire audio history.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #9,940 of 15,268
  In my experience Mojo is much better with any headphones than Micro iCan. The iCan has kind of an artificial sound compared to Mojo. Sounds colored. Mojo is much more natural, and the soundstage is not just wide but deep. Very deep.
I know, there is a hype around Mojo. And I don't want to advertise it. But it lives up at least to 80-90% of the hype. Beats any DAC under £5-600. Lifts any headphones to another level. According to many reviewers the sound quality is not far behind Hugo, which is a £1400 DAC. Mojo is just extreme value for money. Made my X2s sound like I could never imagine.
Best spent money in my entire audio history.

Really, thanks very much for the comments! I don't have micro. I have Explorer and I saw people didn't think Mojo much better than Explorer as DAC alone and I saw someone claimed Micro is better than Explorer, so I think Micro should be similar to Mojo. Anyway, great to know your feeling on them.
And how about IE80 paired with Mojo? Thank you!

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #9,941 of 15,268
  Really, thanks very much for the comments! I don't have micro. I have Explorer and I saw people didn't think Mojo much better than Explorer as DAC alone and I saw someone claimed Micro is better than Explorer, so I think Micro should be similar to Mojo. Anyway, great to know your feeling on them.
And how about IE80 paired with Mojo? Thank you!

I never tried Explorer, but heard many good opinions about it.
Micro is completely different to Mojo as I described.
Superficial impressions can be a result of lower-end headphones used with Mojo. Or less experienced ears.
In my opinion Mojo is clearly above everything else I have ever heard.
I don't use IE80 too much, but Mojo definitely improves them as well. With X2s the difference is more obvious, but with IE80s it is also there. With the iems I feel the improvement is in clarity and space first of all. Better separation and a more natural, more 3D sound. But I tried IE80 just a couple of times with Mojo as X2s are superior in every way.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #9,942 of 15,268

I never tried Explorer, but heard many good opinions about it.
Micro is completely different to Mojo as I described.
Superficial impressions can be a result of lower-end headphones used with Mojo. Or less experienced ears.
In my opinion Mojo is clearly above everything else I have ever heard.
I don't use IE80 too much, but Mojo definitely improves them as well. With X2s the difference is more obvious, but with IE80s it is also there. With the iems I feel the improvement is in clarity and space first of all. Better separation and a more natural, more 3D sound. But I tried IE80 just a couple of times with Mojo as X2s are superior in every way.

Thank you very much! I also read from IE800 thread that Mojo (or Hugo) is great for 800 also. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #9,943 of 15,268
  Congratulations! For sub $100 dac/amp for the X2's I'd (again :wink: ) recommend checking out the CEntrance DACport Slim. Its clean and detailed sound matches up very well with the X2's IMO. 

Thanks for the reply!

The DACport Slim looks great, but it's going for roughly $200 on Amazon right now; that's well over my budget. I learned about the FiiO K1 today, and I was wondering if anyone has tried it with the X2s or a similar pair of cans. It's small, runs off USB, and doesn't have a volume knob (between the volume controls on my cable and Windows, I don't think I need another :p); that's perfect for what I need.

I'm currently running my X2s off my motherboard soundcard. It's an ASUS Maximus VII Impact w/ a riser SupremeFX III card, so I'm not sure how that'd compare to the K1; it seems geared more towards games than music. Does anyone think the $40 K1 would be a worthwhile upgrade from the SFX III?

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #9,945 of 15,268
  Thanks for the reply!

The DACport Slim looks great, but it's going for roughly $200 on Amazon right now; that's well over my budget. I learned about the FiiO K1 today, and I was wondering if anyone has tried it with the X2s or a similar pair of cans. It's small, runs off USB, and doesn't have a volume knob (between the volume controls on my cable and Windows, I don't think I need another :p); that's perfect for what I need.

I'm currently running my X2s off my motherboard soundcard. It's an ASUS Maximus VII Impact w/ a riser SupremeFX III card, so I'm not sure how that'd compare to the K1; it seems geared more towards games than music. Does anyone think the $40 K1 would be a worthwhile upgrade from the SFX III?

The one on amazon is Dacport HD, which is a higher version of the Dacport Slim (although sound is the same, except the HD can play DSD). The Dacport Slim is not on market, its only appear on Massdrop sessions (for 99$). The Slim session just closed like 2-3 days ago. 
rolleyes.gif

What would you guys consider the next step up from the X2s? Third time is suppose to be a charm, but I don't want to risk it.

I heard that the Alpha Prime have a slightly better sound (still similar) with 3x the price.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back