Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 16, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #9,916 of 15,268
  Is there a measurable way to tell the great DACs from lesser ones? I must say, I'm a sceptic in this area. I have the Apogee Duet as my DAC and it seems to measure quite well (very flat and noise free etc.), even for audio pros. Where do the higher end DACs bring the benefits? Can the benefits be measured - or is its just " you hear it or you don't"?

In my opinion the chosen headphone is easily the most important part of your audio chain, unless something is broken or impedances don't match etc.

For the people hoping X2 can bring good sound out of less amping and extra gear, this would very bad news. That would be one of their biggest strengths over Senn HD6x0's thrown straight out.

I don't know mate.
According to my experience sources and amps and headphones can alter the sound in the same way. For each his own to find the best combo.

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #9,917 of 15,268
I don't know mate.

According to my experience sources and amps and headphones can alter the sound in the same way. For each his own to find the best combo.

+1, this is my experience as well.

I'm also positive that the X2's will sound better out of a phone than the HD6X0.....

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #9,918 of 15,268
+1, this is my experience as well.

I'm also positive that the X2's will sound better out of a phone than the HD6X0.....

That is due to the low impedance imo.
HD6X0 properly amped are quite a competition to X2s slightly amped.
 But X2s properly amped are more joy than HD600s. Even though 600s are more neutral. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #9,919 of 15,268
That is due to the low impedance imo.

HD6X0 properly amped are quite a competition to X2s slightly amped.

But X2s properly amped are more joy than HD600s. Even though 600s are more neutral. 

Yes exactly and that's why they're a better option for people who doesn't want to invest money in an amp/dac :wink:

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #9,920 of 15,268
Yes exactly and that's why they're a better option for people who doesn't want to invest money in an amp/dac
wink.gif

Yes, that's right. X2s are awesome with poor amping. HD6*0s need good amping to sound the same.

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #9,921 of 15,268
  is the dt880 a good side grade from the x2, and should i consider getting the dt990 when i have the x2. how different is the 990 to the x2.
any advice would help

Biggest difference will be the mids, on the 990 they are most certainly recessed.  The resolution is good but they are pretty far back in the mix, the 990's also have a more pronounced bass hump with it's peak higher in the bass spectrum.  Except the 32 ohm varietal, the 990's are also significantly harder to drive than the X2.  Unless its for the sake of variety or if you just really love treble in equal quantity with your bass I say pass on the 990's.  I bought them when all I had were the HD650's and Pro900's, wanted add a bass emphasis open back, at the time there really weren't many.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #9,922 of 15,268
Some good news to report on my X2s.  I've had my X2s for about seven months now (Woox unglued, no ink bleed) they initially had a rather dramatic channel imbalance favoring the left channel.  I loved the SQ so much that I refused to send them back to Amazon hoping I could find a cure for this defect. 

After using them daily the channel imbalance has greatly diminished to the point where I no longer require the L-R balance adjuster I made from an old inline volume control.  If I switch sides (Right side driver on my left ear, etc.) they appear to sound perfectly balanced.  The prolonged break-in time & angled drivers apparently has some effect on the balance.

Current setup:  Sony VAIO>Foobar2000 w/ Milkdrop visualization>FiiO E7 USB DAC>X2

Currently listening to Santana's 2012 Shape Shifter LP and it's total auditory bliss.
dt880smile.png
  Expecting the Fostex TH-X00's in May but they will have some tough competition from these Philips X2's.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #9,923 of 15,268
is the dt880 a good side grade from the x2, and should i consider getting the dt990 when i have the x2. how different is the 990 to the x2.
any advice would help

I'd say it depends. To me the DT880, although a good headphone, was too cold sounding and the lack of 3D presentation and depth did that I never really got into them. Sold them a couple of weeks after I got the X2 and they're actually one of very few headphones I've sold but they just weren't for me but yes they're a sidegrade to the X2, only you can decide if it's a good one.

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #9,926 of 15,268
  Looking to get some guidance here as i'm looking for a pair of headphones that are well rounded and suited for all types of use. I've read the X2s are not proficient in any one area but does everything well, which makes them sound like they're what i'm looking for.

First let me give a little background of what I've used in recent history. For a long time i used a pair of plantronics gamecom 780s, a gaming headset that was adequate for the years it lasted, but i knew there was better out there so i started looking into getting my first pair of audiophile grade headphones.

First came the HD558s, huge upgrade, in fact i'd still probably be using them if not for the fact that i couldn't easily attach my V-moda boom pro mic to turn it into a headset essentially. I opened the cans up and did the foam mod on them as well as removed the locking ring mechanism in order to use a made 2.5mm to 3.5mm female adapter to use the mic with but i had an issue of audio cutting out of one cup. It may have been due to a really cheap adapter, but at that point i was fed up with it and decided to find headphones that had a 3.5mm jack to begin with. Mind you i really loved the sound of the 558s for what i threw at it and didnt feel that it was lacking in any area really.

Next came the Phillips SHP9500s which is what i'm currently using. I read all the hype around these and they seemed to fit the bill for what i was looking for. Sure enough these headphones have been amazing, with two quibbles. First is they're clamping force is really weak so it does slide off if you tilt your head forward, but i guess if the clamp was stronger they wouldn't be as comfortable so i can forgive it for that. The other problem i have is i find the bass to be severely lacking especially compared to the 558s and they're not exactly basshead phones either. 

I went ahead and ordered a pair of 598s to do some AB testing, and the 598s to me blow the Phillips away with bass that has good quantity and impact, probably helped by its stronger clamp and better isolation. The X2s have piqued my interest because they're supposed to have very good bass for open headphones while not exactly being basshead, and i'm not looking for crazy bass otherwise i would go for closed backs and i absolutely hate their sound. Between the 598s and SHP9500s i think they both sound great, with the phillips being a bit clearer and brighter, but find the 598s way more fun for listening to music thanks to the added bass.

Would the X2s be a good fit for what i'm looking for? Just from what i've read about them sounds like they're the bees knees when it comes to value and how fun they are to listen to. I'm also curious to know whats the deal with all the reports on Amazon of folks getting seemingly defective X2s with glued pads and poor QC in general? I think i would have ordered them already and just gave them a shot without asking for further encouragement here, but i'm worried about getting a bad pair. 

To my ear, X2 is on the same tier with 598SE. Maybe each for different genre. Take into value, X2 is definitely not an upgrade.

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #9,927 of 15,268
I haven't heard the Vali 2 but I'd still recommend the LD I+. I've go two reason for this: 1. the almost endless possibilities to roll both op amps and tubes makes it possible to fine tune the LD just he way you prefer it. I've used months tuning it to be perfect specifically for the X2's and tubes the result is just amazing. 2. As a result of 1 the LD is the best sounding amplifier for the X2's out of all (at least 15) amps, amp/DAC combos and DAP's I've tried to pair the X2's with.
While I agree with you on female voices and the Senns I respectfully disagree on the soundstage which I consider better on the X2's. As a matter of fact I find the relatively small soundstage to be one of the two biggest drawbacks (the other being lack of bass impact) on the HD6xx (haven't had enough experience with the HD598 to pass any judgement on those).

I'm not sure of 598. But 600 definitely has larger soundstage than X2 if drived well.
BTW, if you use LD I+ for 600, I'm quite sure 600 is under drived.

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #9,928 of 15,268
  I'm not sure of 598. But 600 definitely has larger soundstage than X2 if drived well.
BTW, if you use LD I+ for 600, I'm quite sure 600 is under drived.

The LD I+ should have more than enough power for the HD600 but for the comparison between X2 and HD600 I used the Beyer A20. This is not my setup but one in a listening room at a retailer, I walked out with the X2's so needless to say I don't share you opinion that the HD600 is superior. IMO they perform on a similar level but I found the X2 to be a much better allrounder for my preferences. 

http://www.audiobot9000.com/match/sennheiser/hd-600/with/little-dot/i

Given my expereince one could argue that you did not try the best match with the X2's in the same way you feel about me and the HD600 but in the end personal preference will always be the deciding factor so there's not really any point in discussing it any further IMO. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #9,930 of 15,268
600 is on another tier above both of them.

As someone who's owned HD600 for more than 10 years - I disagree. They're only better with certain genres like vocal and jazz/acoustic. And we're not speaking of "another tier" here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back