Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 15, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #9,902 of 15,268
I wish Philips would sort QC problems out. I have no faith in them. Love the sound, but it feels like too much of a gamble. My first pair, which I posted about in this thread, had a channel imbalance. Got a replacement and they also had imbalance issues. They also had glued on pads. I suspect my first pair had the same too, but I never tried wrenching them off when they didn't budge.

I considered doing the same with my second pair, but thought no - this a premium priced headphone, it should work as advertised. After prying them off I couldn't get them to stay on again because of the glue deposits. Also, the ear pads are different between my sets too; the first pair had the nice, shiny smooth material, while the second pair had a short matte material which wasn't as nice. Weird decision.

I'll have to wait for a similar performing headphone in the price range, or try and get an unblemished second hand pair. It sucks. First time buying a headphone over $100 and the experience was a lot of stress and frustration.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #9,903 of 15,268
I wish Philips would sort QC problems out. I have no faith in them. Love the sound, but it feels like too much of a gamble. My first pair, which I posted about in this thread, had a channel imbalance. Got a replacement and they also had imbalance issues. They also had glued on pads. I suspect my first pair had the same too, but I never tried wrenching them off when they didn't budge.

I considered doing the same with my second pair, but thought no - this a premium priced headphone, it should work as advertised. After prying them off I couldn't get them to stay on again because of the glue deposits. Also, the ear pads are different between my sets too; the first pair had the nice, shiny smooth material, while the second pair had a short matte material which wasn't as nice. Weird decision.

I'll have to wait for a similar performing headphone in the price range, or try and get an unblemished second hand pair. It sucks. First time buying a headphone over $100 and the experience was a lot of stress and frustration.

Bummer. I just have to add that all this QC trouble is affecting business on some level. I badly wanted an X2, but elected to get an HE 400s instead because of my lack of faith in the construction and/or assembly process at Gibson. It just wasn't worth the risk to me. How many of me are there out there? I don't know, but I suspect it is more than just a few. What a shame that the reputation of such an excellent can has been sullied by this mess. I still want an X2, but I can promise I won't be buying one until these problems are fully sorted out. Good luck to all you owners.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #9,904 of 15,268
Sadly my Fiio X3 2nd gen and Westone 4R have been stolen and I'm left with just my X2s. Could anyone recommend a DAP with good synergy with the X2 for under $500 to replace my previous setup?

Sorry for your loss, I'd suggest pretty much any DAP made by A&K, FiiO, iBasso, Shanling, Cayin or the like would be great with the Fidelio X2 because in my experience they sound very good out of neutral-ish sounding players, and their bass heaviness is beneficial with detail oriented players like the FiiO X7 which I got as a demo unit. The only DAPs you should be staying away from are very warm sounding ones, of which nowadays there are very few in the market I believe.

Good luck with your purchase, cheers.

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #9,905 of 15,268
My X2s just arrived today!

This is my first pair of high(er)-end headphones, and coming from MDR-950BTs, the difference is incredible. I liked the impact of the bass on the Sony's, but these X2s sound much more balanced to my ears. I was initially worried about getting a dud, so I bought used from Amazon to save some money in case I had to return them. I got a WOOX pair, not Gibson, and though the earpads are glued on, I haven't had any problems so far. I've heard that some people get different sized pads on their earcups, but mine are the same thickness and material.

I'm using the V-Moda Boompro mic because I plan use these headphones for both music and games. I don't need an amp, but I'm researching USB DACs; I hope to find a good sub-$100 DAC sometime soon. You guys have any recommendations for the X2s?

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #9,906 of 15,268

This is my first pair of high(er)-end headphones, and coming from MDR-950BTs, the difference is incredible. I liked the impact of the bass on the Sony's, but these X2s sound much more balanced to my ears. I was initially worried about getting a dud, so I bought used from Amazon to save some money in case I had to return them. I got a WOOX pair, not Gibson, and though the earpads are glued on, I haven't had any problems so far. I've heard that some people get different sized pads on their earcups, but mine are the same thickness and material.

I'm using the V-Moda Boompro mic because I plan use these headphones for both music and games. I don't need an amp, but I'm researching USB DACs; I hope to find a good sub-$100 DAC sometime soon. You guys have any recommendations for the X2s?

Congrats on your purchase, enjoy.

As for sub 100$ usb dacs, I'd suggest the FiiO models, Q1 for example, are worth a look in. The E17K should be a good DAC amp. If you can stretch your budget a little, the Dragonfly is a great value.

Cheers

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #9,908 of 15,268

Congratulations! For sub $100 dac/amp for the X2's I'd (again :wink: ) recommend checking out the CEntrance DACport Slim. Its clean and detailed sound matches up very well with the X2's IMO. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #9,909 of 15,268
Here's my extended review of the X2's:

I didn't find problems with the build quality of this Woox-made pair. Includes comparisons to Denon D2000 and Senn HD600.

Enjoy!

If you asked me in my first month with X2s, I'd probably have agreed with you in 90% of what you say in the video.
(That time I listened to X2s via Fiio X3II and iFi Micro and Nano.)
Chord Mojo however changed my opinion on the X2s quite a lot. Much more balanced, much less V shaped. I don't think it was V shaped before, but I see, why this is the impression of some people. Mojo however takes away this impression. For casual listening I am yet to find better headphones than X2s. I prefer them over HD600 and HE400s. (However with certain music I'd prefer the 600s and the 400ss but I don't listen to acoustic or classical.) Fostex TH-X00 might going to be an upgrade. I will see in May.
People judge X2s superficially, it is all that I say. With higher end DAC they are truly remarkable. (Out of a phone just mediocre.)

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #9,910 of 15,268

If you asked me in my first month with X2s, I'd probably have agreed with you in 90% of what you say in the video.
Chord Mojo however changed my opinion on the X2s quite a lot. Much more balanced, much less V shaped. I don't think it was V shaped before, but I see, why this is the impression of some people. Mojo however takes away this impression. For casual listening I am yet to find better headphones than X2s. I prefer them over HD600 and HE400s. (However with certain music I'd prefer the 600s and the 400ss but I don't listen to acoustic or classical.) Fostex TH-X00 might going to be an upgrade. I will see in May.
People judge X2s superficially, it is all that I say. With higher end DAC they are truly remarkable. (Out of a phone just mediocre.)

+1! This is exactly how I feel about them as well with my current DAC (Advance Acoustic MDA503) and amp (LD I+), granted I've spent A LOT of time trying out different tube/op amp combos to reach this sound. 

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #9,911 of 15,268

I don't quite see how a DAC could make them less V-shaped - can they really alter the frequency response?

And maybe some amps (like your Mojo) bring out a bit more mids and lower treble energy than my Schiit Lyr 2? There was this small difference with it compared to my iPod Touch's output. BTW, I use the solid state LISST-"tubes" that should make it a pretty color-free amp - but I could be wrong.

Anyhoo, cheers for checking out the review.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #9,912 of 15,268
I must concur with the above posts. I listen with my x2's through a schiit gungnir multibit and Cavalli Liquid fire with upgraded tubes and the sound is incredible. Very deep, smooth and luscious. I know from tube rolling that the philips SQ tubes I use are doing a great job of rounding out the sibilant highs that I sometimes get when I use my other gear. Even though these are low impedence, I think a tube or hybrid amp is a great choice for use with the x2s.

In short : these headphones scale very very well when used with more expensive gear. So much so that I am beginning to think of them as 'end-game', production issues aside, for certain types of music.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #9,913 of 15,268
I'm using my X2 with what I consider a fairly expensive setup - Bifrost Multibit and Asgard 2, and I think they do benefit from it. For me, from SQ perspective, they're also "end-game" for many genres I find interested in at this moment. I did "downgrade" from a much more expensive headphone and still have no regrets.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #9,914 of 15,268

I don't quite see how a DAC could make them less V-shaped - can they really alter the frequency response?

And maybe some amps (like your Mojo) bring out a bit more mids and lower treble energy than my Schiit Lyr 2? There was this small difference with it compared to my iPod Touch's output. BTW, I use the solid state LISST-"tubes" that should make it a pretty color-free amp - but I could be wrong.

Anyhoo, cheers for checking out the review.

I can't explain how.
But the difference is obvious. And apparently I am not alone with my experience.

I started to think the miracle happens more in the DAC than in headphones.
I have this weird metaphor:
Headphones are like diver masks looking in the sea. The DAC is how clear the water is. Headphones can give back just the clarity of the "water". With muddy, entry level DAC headphones will seem to be "dirty". But it is not the headphones fault eventually. It is the muddy water. Change the DAC and your headphones will reflect back the change.
I was tend to think headphones are the most important component of one's gear. With Mojo DAC my opinion is about to change.

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #9,915 of 15,268
Is there a measurable way to tell the great DACs from lesser ones? I must say, I'm a sceptic in this area. I have the Apogee Duet as my DAC and it seems to measure quite well (very flat and noise free etc.), even for audio pros. Where do the higher end DACs bring the benefits? Can the benefits be measured - or is its just " you hear it or you don't"?

In my opinion the chosen headphone is easily the most important part of your audio chain, unless something is broken or impedances don't match etc.

For the people hoping X2 can bring good sound out of less amping and extra gear, this would very bad news. That would be one of their biggest strengths over Senn HD6x0's thrown straight out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back