Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 6, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #9,797 of 15,268
A question that is burning me up..

Why is glue so bad? Grado use glue to fix their drivers in place and never a thing is said.

I would understand if the glue was on the outside of the pads, but on the inside, where it is likely never to be seen?

Are people milking this issue to try and gain some benefit?

It all seems much aglue about nothing..

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #9,798 of 15,268
A question that is burning me up..

Why is glue so bad? Grado use glue to fix their drivers in place and never a thing is said.

I would understand if the glue was on the outside of the pads, but on the inside, where it is likely never to be seen?

Are people milking this issue to try and gain some benefit?

It all seems much aglue about nothing..

Because the pad is supposed to be removable, though technically you can still remove it even with the glue, the earlier batch (mine) can do it without the glue. And no, i don't see any problem on my x2 after one year

Of course people will complain, if the "glue" change who knows what else might change when there is no reason whatsoever to glue it when it works perfectly before.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #9,799 of 15,268
I guess you could say the glue is an upgrade..

I tried a pair of 'old' x2s a year ago. And if memory serves correctly the pads seemed a little softer. If anything, thats the real difference between the woox and gibson sets.

My new pair have Woox on the headband but gibson on the box. I think that means they are gibson but honestly cant be bothered to open the pads and check. Im just concentrating on the sound I get from them.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #9,800 of 15,268
Id say its also a matter of "prestige." The fidelio is not precissely a top headphone, but it still claims it delivers high fidelity audio and has a luxury design; it would just be a very big turn off to see that glue is one of its components. Put in a car analogy, the X2s are not precisely a RollsRoyce or a Ferrari, but rather an useful muscle car, say a Mustang or a Challenger. Stills, it not a cheap car, like, say, a Picanto, so you wouldnt tolerate cheap details, like say, the radio, or the leather. Basically, I think that if you had cheap end headphones, like Sony 20 bucks or skullcandies, you wouldnt mind them have glued, but if you have higher end headphones, you would expect tailored components, professional stuff.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #9,801 of 15,268
I guess you could say the glue is an upgrade..

I tried a pair of 'old' x2s a year ago. And if memory serves correctly the pads seemed a little softer. If anything, thats the real difference between the woox and gibson sets.

My new pair have Woox on the headband but gibson on the box. I think that means they are gibson but honestly cant be bothered to open the pads and check. Im just concentrating on the sound I get from them.

In what way is it an upgrade? Afaik the glue just make the pad harder to remove, unnecessary harder to be honest.

If they only change the pad without changing the sound then it's a fair game, honestly no one will notice and even if they have both the "old" and the "new" when they sound the same, no one will complain.

If they change the pad and that change the sound, then it's a problem, might as well call it fidelio X3.

I agree that sound is most important, and there are some small problems like the "alien black stuff" and "the dreaded alumunium gap" that is not so significant, but if the company change something on the headphone that make previous reviews unreliable (removable pad), they need to come clean on that.

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #9,802 of 15,268
  My opinions on the X2 have changed dramatically over the last couple of months.
They may have sweetened a little with extended usage but I suspect my ears have simply warmed to the sound signature.

Comfort wise they are great after 10 minutes, just takes a while for the memory foam pads to settle into position.
Superb for gaming and films, whilst listening to Toto IV through an iFi iDAC2 is pure bliss
tongue.gif

The X2s are now my go to headphone and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for the price.

It's funny how we all interpret comfort in different ways.  For me, they are great comfort-wise for the first 10 minutes and, after the pads 'settle' in, I start feeling my pinnae touching the driver covers and general pully-uppy-ness (scientific term) on my ears.  This is with the original pads, and slightly less so with the HM5 pads.  I'm not sure why most headphone manufacturers keep designing headphones with round pads, who has round ears?!  My ears are about 71mm in length (a little above average, I think) and are visibily pink on the top and bottom after longer sessions.

Also, anyone who is on the fence regards purchasing, take it from me: sub $140 for this headphone is a STEAL and well worth the "used - very good" gamble considering Amazon's return policy.  No reason NOT to risk it.  There's also a chance you'll get someone's returned WOOX pair as a bonus.

Feb 7, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #9,803 of 15,268
Anyone shed some light please......whats this supposed to mean by amazon.com? A warning message displayed in fidelio x2/27 page.

""Item Under Review""
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Feb 7, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #9,804 of 15,268
Anyone shed some light please......whats this supposed to mean by amazon.com? A warning message displayed in fidelio x2/27 page.

""Item Under Review""
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

They have had to many issues and returns due to glue and paint wearing off. Also things not aligning correctly and exposed wires. Basically the QC is awful lately and they are waiting on Philips/Gibson to rectify it.

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #9,806 of 15,268
They have had to many issues and returns due to glue and paint wearing off. Also things not aligning correctly and exposed wires. Basically the QC is awful lately and they are waiting on Philips/Gibson to rectify it.

Ok......so is it safe to buy now? Or those stocks that were sold after oct'2015,especially?.
Thought those were the issues found on X1 being fixed pads and so philips listened to customer complaints,rectified and launched x2 along with different drivers too.....anyway thanks for the response.

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #9,807 of 15,268
Wait for a new stock on Amazon. It's due at February 10th.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #9,809 of 15,268
  The X2's I got recently have thinner earpads than the ones posted here. Why the discrepancy? 

Gibson pairs have a "more durable and consistent material".  They're generally firmer and thinner than the previous ones.  Philips claim they do not adversely affect sound quality - you can make up your own mind about that one.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #9,810 of 15,268

Gibson pairs have a "more durable and consistent material".  They're generally firmer and thinner than the previous ones.  Philips claim they do not adversely affect sound quality - you can make up your own mind about that one.

I personally think they sound good, although I've never heard a Woox pair. The issue is that I've seen pictures of Gibson pairs that have the thicker pads, and I'm wondering why they aren't all the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back