Philips Fidelio X2?!
Feb 4, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #9,766 of 15,268
  So here's one you don't hear all that often:  X2 vs HD700?

Anyone have both sets who could make some comparisons regarding soundstage and bass/mids/treble?  I read some impressions from @punkmanmatthew - would be great if he or others could chime in.

I used to own both and the HD700 are the most comfortable cans i have ever worn. The HD700´s are really good when it comes down to resolution and detail, plus they have a really wide soundstage (meaning thats all excellent while X2´s specs are very good) , but they lack in the mids when compared to the X2´s, and that´s where the music happens. To me the HD700 sounded too analytical, if not even dead, it was just no joy to listen to music with them overall.

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #9,767 of 15,268

More quantity and extension on the X2?  Yikes!  The reason I switched up from the HD598 to the X2 was to get a little more bass quantity.  I mostly watch movies/TV with headphones and I just can't seem to love the comfort with the X2.  I think the 598 spoiled me in terms of comfort, or it's something about the round pads that my ears don't get on with.

Would you say the bass quantity and extension on the HD700 would make it a good gaming/movie headphone?  And possibly a few words about comfort vs the X2?  Thanks!

Movies: I like the X2´s more, voices sound more natural and i prefer the soundstage of the X2´s on movies more.
Comfort: Probably nothing beats the comfort of the HD700s, almost like wearing a PortaPro....but hey, X2´s are just fine
Bass quantity: HD700s are more detailed X2´s are more fun

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #9,768 of 15,268

Movies: I like the X2´s more, voices sound more natural and i prefer the soundstage of the X2´s on movies more.
Comfort: Probably nothing beats the comfort of the HD700s, almost like wearing a PortaPro....but hey, X2´s are just fine
Bass quantity: HD700s are more detailed X2´s are more fun

Thanks for your impressions.  It's quite difficult to find someone who has used both headphones, especially for movies.  I can understand why you would prefer the lush/warm sound for voices, but shouldn't the soundstage/imaging of the HD700 be a win?  I have found the soundstage on the X2 to be very L-C-R and not further than 120°~ around your face and with very little depth.  What was it specifically that made you prefer the X2 for soundstage?

You also mention bass quantity and I can imagine the HD700 are more detailed down there, but I also got the impression (from reading) that in comparison to the X2 the HD700 might sound a little anemic.  Is it closer than that in terms of bass quantity?  I don't have to feel the rumble in my chest, but I'd like a little more impact than the HD598 gave.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #9,769 of 15,268
Used pairs $146 at Amazon Warehouse Deals:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00O2Y2MZG/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #9,771 of 15,268
Now with Supra MP-Cable, and yes, they do respond to cables. The last bit of grain in the treble disappeared, and better clarity and detail. These cans are definately the find of the century IMO. Great balance and musicality.

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #9,773 of 15,268
My pair from the most recent Massdrop release just came in. First time I've really listened to the X2, and I am very happy with the results. It sounds great with multiple genres. I've been using it with AK100 and Mojo and loving that combination. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #9,775 of 15,268
Feb 4, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #9,776 of 15,268

ugh seems a bit messy and permanent
confused_face.gif

@Baycode just made it look very neat, it still goes around the cup.

I lolled.

I am slowly ripping mine cos I have it go around the whole cup and it covers the 3.5mm jack. His doesnt. I'm jealous lol. I don't want it to be permanently glued on to my cans because after a while I have this pain below my ear at the end of my jaw due to the fact that the pads are too thick. They are super comfortable though.

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #9,777 of 15,268
  ugh seems a bit messy and permanent
confused_face.gif

I am slowly ripping mine cos I have it go around the whole cup and it covers the 3.5mm jack. His doesnt. I'm jealous lol. I don't want it to be permanently glued on to my cans because after a while I have this pain below my ear at the end of my jaw due to the fact that the pads are too thick. They are super comfortable though.

Look again.  He photographed it at an angle where you can't see it pushed up.  Most obvious in this picture.

Here's my thoughts on the pads, in case you're interested.

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #9,778 of 15,268

Look again.  He photographed it at an angle where you can't see it pushed up.  Most obvious in this picture.

Here's my thoughts on the pads, in case you're interested.

Oh yeah I did not see that!! (I was viewing the webpage on my dimmed smartphone)

I'm thinking of cutting a hole so I can just wrap the pads all around the cup and prevent it from tearing any further. What do you think?

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #9,779 of 15,268

Oh yeah I did not see that!! (I was viewing the webpage on my dimmed smartphone)

I'm thinking of cutting a hole so I can just wrap the pads all around the cup and prevent it from tearing any further. What do you think?

It crossed my mind to do something similar, but you'd probably be semi-ruining them for any future headphones unless the input matches perfectly.  It may also further weaken the area where you cut.. or may not.  Try it. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #9,780 of 15,268
The best way I can think of fitting the pads without stretching the entire cup would be to use the mounting plate from the stock pads. Of course, who wants to pay ~$40 for a pair of earpads just so you can cut them apart and my search for a trashed pair of used pads I can get cheap has been fruitless. If you're one of those handyman types you could always try to make a plate yourself -similar to what I did for my Grados. Was going to try it myself using the leftover cork I had, but just got too apathetic about it - I'm pretty happy with the stock pads now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back